Nomura wants more Final Fantasy remakes — but not from the PlayStation era

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Yeah, pretty much. I also like that he doesn't ruin surprises, just talks (in a rather cryptic way, sometimes) about things that are underway BUT in the future. Something that some people (coughSiliconeracough) didn't do.

And now that I think about it, with all the FFVII R, TLG and Shenmue III, I almost forgot that I was expecting the supposedly PS4 exclusive Level 5's RPG to show up. They said (if my memory serves right) that they would do so around E3 :( Maybe they'll do it during Paris Games Week (since Sony is skipping Gamescon). I'd love another Ghibli game, but with an adult-ish atmosphere. Sadly I really doubt they're collaborating rigth now.

I don't really know, but at the very, very least, this has been in production since the PlayStation Experience. And Verendus talked about this in 2013 I believe. Also, iirc correctly, Kagari said that she had been hearing about the remake for a year or so.

I'd say that it was in pre-production/talks stages during the bigger part part of 2013 and during 2014 (either early, mid or late) it started pre-production (or full production, since this seems outsourced (to CC2?) and supposedly funded by Sony). I guess they'll want to hit that 20th anniversary date, but I don't know, a game like this should be pretty damn huge.
They've been talking about it for years, things would have started moving in 2014 after Lightning Returns and X/X-2 HD were finished.

Sep 26, 2013
Like many had said, FFVI is a welcome. A VI remake that is similar to III and IV is what I've been waiting for a while.
At first this is what I wanted but then I saw this one screenshot from Dissidia 012 a long time ago.

When I first saw this, I immediately thought that this looked like Terra walking around in the World of Ruin and that's Kefka's Tower in the background.

There's no way I'd want a FFVI remake to look anything like FFIII and FFIV remakes on NDS after seeing this.

But that would be what I want if a FFVI remake were for handhelds. Since the dedicated handheld gaming business is headed straight to hell, this probably would never happen.

Really though, FFVI deserves better then all of that. It's right up there with FFVII in regards to being one of the best Final Fantasy games and it deserves the same level of love and care (and budget) that game will be getting. FFVI will easily be the number one most requested remake since FFVII remake is a reality now.

I don't really know what I want a FFVI remake on home consoles to look like. Pre-rendered backgrounds with modern graphics? Nomura or Amano style? Real-time looking like FFXV? (that would be one hell of an ambitious project with two world maps to model)

Oct 19, 2013
Didn't Nomura (or someone from Square) say that they started developing The FFVII Remake around before the PS4 PC Port of FFVII? Going as far back as 2013....... That's a bit much.
First of all: he started talking about it more intensively around November 2013 and at that point he already emphasized how far off it would be and that it has only been in planning stages when he was talking about it. Also he said that Nomura and Kitase would be the key people needed for its full development first. And voilà: actual development, or let's say pre-production, started last year (before the PS4 PC port) when Nomura then really did hop on board after leaving FFXV (or being taken off of?).

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Personally, I've never liked the style of III and IV's DS remakes and I agree with Squirrel that FFVI deserves a better treatment. I wanted a high budget remake with realistic graphics ever since I saw this fanart of Narshe and this Celes by the same guy. This style hits all the right spots for me and I'd love to see whole FFVI looking like that.

But I already had a few of my dreams come true during the last week, so maybe I shouldn't be too greedy.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
At first this is what I wanted but then I saw this one screenshot from Dissidia 012 a long time ago.

When I first saw this, I immediately thought that this looked like Terra walking around in the World of Ruin and that's Kefka's Tower in the background.

There's no way I'd want a FFVI remake to look anything like FFIII and FFIV remakes on NDS after seeing this.

But that would be what I want if a FFVI remake were for handhelds. Since the dedicated handheld gaming business is headed straight to hell, this probably would never happen.

Really though, FFVI deserves better then all of that. It's right up there with FFVII in regards to being one of the best Final Fantasy games and it deserves the same level of love and care (and budget) that game will be getting. FFVI will easily be the number one most requested remake since FFVII remake is a reality now.

I don't really know what I want a FFVI remake on home consoles to look like. Pre-rendered backgrounds with modern graphics? Nomura or Amano style? Real-time looking like FFXV? (that would be one hell of an ambitious project with two world maps to model)
Yes! Please!

Many people who did not enjoy FFV7 are upset, they say FF7 received to much already. That might be true, and while I love them all FF7 is my favorite. But since I love them all I realized FF7 getting a remake actually opens a door to many other installments getting remakes.

So whether you like FF7 or not, FF fans in general should be happy and I hope they give it a try despite their feeling for the original. Now that the doors are open if this goes well we could see remakes for others. And @Squirrel Emperor has just made me realize how much I want to see a FF6 remake next. ^^;;

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
If they were to remake then, i'd like V to get , this game doesn't get enough love. Though honestly after VII i'd like to see no more remakes.
Not gonna happen. When games cost as cheap as they do these days, it's no wonder companies are creating remakes/remasters and mobile titles with micro-transactions.

Sep 26, 2013
I think the reaction that the FFVII remake announcement received may have other publishers consider doing some remakes themselves?

I've always said that AAA games today are basically safe bets based on overused but proven ideas that the masses want. That includes remakes as well when you think about it. A remake of a very popular game that is in demand is a safe bet to make.

I know there has been high demand for a Resident Evil 2 remake ever since they remade the first one. Maybe Capcom will consider pulling the trigger?