"OMEN"- FINAL FANTASY XV CGI Trailer

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
All sacrifices are for the sake of the future king (Noctis) yet Noctis needs to die? That makes no sense... It likely just means that they seek death to fuel their power. We know that Lucis originally worshiped reapers which killed, and the ring has the ability to use Death spell. It's possible that by using the ring's power, you are absorbing the lives of others into the rings giving strength to the Lucii or something.

I don't see how Noct dying has anything to do with the conversation, nor do any of the people in your link to NeoGAF. Noct is part of the royal bloodline, there's no reason for him to die. If Nocis dying was so important, why leave him alive at all? What task does he have to achieve before dying that somehow helps the Lucii? None of this lines up at all in my opinion.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
All sacrifices are for the sake of the future king (Noctis) yet Noctis needs to die? That makes no sense... It likely just means that they seek death to fuel their power. We know that Lucis originally worshiped reapers which killed, and the ring has the ability to use Death spell. It's possible that by using the ring's power, you are absorbing the lives of others into the rings giving strength to the Lucii or something.
But that doesn't match up with the English version, where the voice says that only one more death is necessary. Unless the localization is wildly divergent, the voice's plan needs to involve both sacrifices being made for the Future King and only one death actually being necessary for the completion of the mission.

I don't see how Noct dying has anything to do with the conversation, nor do any of the people in your link to NeoGAF. Noct is part of the royal bloodline, there's no reason for him to die. If Nocis dying was so important, why leave him alive at all? What task does he have to achieve before dying that somehow helps the Lucii? None of this lines up at all in my opinion.
I'd be more inclined to think you were right about there being no reason for Noct to die if much of his lifespan hadn't already been demanded of him as a direct consequence of his lineage. Being of royal blood effectively ensures that Noct will die before his time, because the power of the Kings of Lucis draw on their very lifespans.

It's easy to imagine that the death the voice is looking forward to is a martyr's death rather than the death of someone who caused the voice some kind of offense. And there's been a lot of hints at the role of King being one of martyrdom; even ignoring Regis' slow sacrifice, an inscription shown in Kingsglaive promotional materials refers to the Crystal as "the gift of our Great Martyr King."

In other words, whatever the mission of the Lucii is, they believe it can only be achieved at the cost of Noct's life, whether because he will be forced to expend his entire lifespan in order to access the necessary power or because dying as that daemon thing could purge the world of whatever ails it. Either way, they'd have every reason to keep him alive until the right moment.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
But that doesn't match up with the English version, where the voice says that only one more death is necessary. Unless the localization is wildly divergent, the voice's plan needs to involve both sacrifices being made for the Future King and only one death actually being necessary for the completion of the mission.
Where do you get both sacrifices from any of that text? How is Noctis going to be held responsible for his own death? No where does anything mention "both" for sacrifices. Yes, only one death is needed according to the English, but no where does it imply Noctis' own death, as Regis mentions "he will take responsibility, you know". The wording here implies that the "one more death" will be placed on "he" who will take responsibility for it, likely being Noctis. So, to imply that Noctis will take responsibility for his own death makes no sense. How does this fit in the context of the Omen itself? How does it explain Noctis slowly slipping into madness and being overcome by evil and killing Luna? Where does this fit in with Regis seeing the Omen and speaking of one more death who "he" will be responsible for.

The Japanese version states that all of the sacrifices are done for the sake of the future king, this falls in line with what happens in the events of Kingsglaive. Then it's also mentioned that the king must fulfill his duties. The Japanese refers to multiple sacrifices and that the king must go through with the prophesy set out before him. In relation to Omen, this is likely in relation to the upcoming invasion of Insomnia and the sacrifice of their people for the future king to ensure his safety so that he may act out on what he is set out to do. From the Omen, we know that Regis worries that Noctis will have to kill Luna, which is likely why he tries to toy with fate by sending his allies to accompany him (a popular theory among many) to avoid Noctis bed led astray. Let me just reiterate one point here, one of the taglines for Kingsglaive was "everything for the future king" which is Noctis. It's quite clear here that the sacrifices are being made for Noctis, not to him.

I'd be more inclined to think you were right about there being no reason for Noct to die if much of his lifespan hadn't already been demanded of him as a direct consequence of his lineage. Being of royal blood effectively ensures that Noct will die before his time, because the power of the Kings of Lucis draw on their very lifespans.
Being part of the royal bloodline does not inherently destroy your life. We know that it is due to the New Wall that Regis has lost most of his strength. However, I believe that the absorption of the King's life may be attributed to trying to gain more power from the Ring at the cost of your life. Again, Kingsglaive shows that in order for Nyx to be granted power, he must sacrifice himself. It's likely that the Kings must pay the same price if they are to fully control the power of their lineage.

It's easy to imagine that the death the voice is looking forward to is a martyr's death rather than the death of someone who caused the voice some kind of offense. And there's been a lot of hints at the role of King being one of martyrdom; even ignoring Regis' slow sacrifice, an inscription shown in Kingsglaive promotional materials refers to the Crystal as "the gift of our Great Martyr King."

In other words, whatever the mission of the Lucii is, they believe it can only be achieved at the cost of Noct's life, whether because he will be forced to expend his entire lifespan in order to access the necessary power or because dying as that daemon thing could purge the world of whatever ails it. Either way, they'd have every reason to keep him alive until the right moment.
As I mentioned previously, there's no ignoring Regis' sacrifice, he willingly sacrificed himself for his people which ties into the message on the wall. The Crystal is never directly mentioned to be "the gift", the text is cut off. The Crystal was not given to the Kingdom by the King... It was given to them by the Gods. The message likely refers to the original king who set up the Old Wall likely sacrificing his life to summon the statues.

The full text that we can see reads "...REMEMBER AND POSTERITY PROTECT THE GIFT OF OUR GREAT MARTYR KING". This could easily refer to Regis' sacrifice with the New Wall, or a potential sacrifice from the creation of the Old Wall, or something else entirely. Regardless, it has nothing to do with the Crystal, as the Crystal and Ring were given to Lucis by the Gods.

There is no reason or any implications surrounding the death of Noctis in any way.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Where do you get both sacrifices from any of that text? How is Noctis going to be held responsible for his own death? No where does anything mention "both" for sacrifices. Yes, only one death is needed according to the English, but no where does it imply Noctis' own death, as Regis mentions "he will take responsibility, you know". The wording here implies that the "one more death" will be placed on "he" who will take responsibility for it, likely being Noctis. So, to imply that Noctis will take responsibility for his own death makes no sense.
Sorry, my grammar got a little ambiguous there. What I meant to say is, "Unless the localization is wildly divergent, the voice's plan needs to involve both (1) sacrifices being made for the Future King and (2) only one death actually being necessary for the completion of the mission."

And speaking of grammatical ambiguity, I think that's what's going on with the "he will take responsibility, you know" line. It could be referring to the one death, since that's the immediate referent (though it's worth pointing out that Noct isn't actually the subject of the voice's sentence, with the only person actually mentioned being the "one death"), but it's also possible (and even makes more sense, in light of the translated version) for Regis to have continued talking about the sacrifices more generally (which was what he actually wanted to talk about before the voice changed the subject). Furthermore, even the words "take responsibility" are sort of ambiguous -- while on their own they can definitely imply being held responsible by others, the voice's reply suggests that Noct's taking of responsibility would be more active (since combining "as must we all" and "take responsibility" implies "we all must take responsibility," which is clearly active).

How does this fit in the context of the Omen itself? How does it explain Noctis slowly slipping into madness and being overcome by evil and killing Luna? Where does this fit in with Regis seeing the Omen and speaking of one more death who "he" will be responsible for.
Well, it'd be entirely consistent with the sin eater theory, where Noct's role as the King of Light requires him to take the darkness/chaos causing the Plague of the Stars into himself to purge it from the world. In light of that, Noct would hold himself responsible for all of the evil caused by daemon!Noct, which is plausible as an alternative meaning of Regis' words.

The most appealing part of the sin eater theory, though, is that it actually provides a reason why the Lucii would see the outcome of the Omen as a good thing and in line with Noct's mission as King. If daemon!Noct isn't necessary for the greater good in some way, that should be the last thing they want to happen.

The Japanese version states that all of the sacrifices are done for the sake of the future king, this falls in line with what happens in the events of Kingsglaive. Then it's also mentioned that the king must fulfill his duties. The Japanese refers to multiple sacrifices and that the king must go through with the prophesy set out before him. In relation to Omen, this is likely in relation to the upcoming invasion of Insomnia and the sacrifice of their people for the future king to ensure his safety so that he may act out on what he is set out to do. From the Omen, we know that Regis worries that Noctis will have to kill Luna, which is likely why he tries to toy with fate by sending his allies to accompany him (a popular theory among many) to avoid Noctis bed led astray. Let me just reiterate one point here, one of the taglines for Kingsglaive was "everything for the future king" which is Noctis. It's quite clear here that the sacrifices are being made for Noctis, not to him.
This would be a perfectly good interpretation if the Japanese version were the only one that existed, but it isn't.

We know that the English script took a lot of liberties, but we also know that the liberties were intended to account for cultural differences rather than change the story and that the translators spoke with the writers to make sure they were getting the core point across.

As such, I can't see the English and Japanese versions as being two completely different conversations. There's a lot of context that we're missing in both cases, but what makes the most sense is that the English and Japanese versions both relied on the two participants understanding what was left unsaid while saying different things.

In other words, I think what's going on is that both Regis and the voice already knew the voice's endgame, but the voice chose to reference it in a different way in English because the translators think English speakers are more direct or something. As such, the creation of the Future King and the one death have to be connected in a way that Regis would recognize, which doesn't really make sense if the English Lucii just showed Regis that they want Noct to kill someone else through the Omen. Regis clearly didn't know about the things shown in the Omen, but if Noct's role as King will demand his life, it's easy to imagine Regis would have already known that.

Being part of the royal bloodline does not inherently destroy your life. We know that it is due to the New Wall that Regis has lost most of his strength. However, I believe that the absorption of the King's life may be attributed to trying to gain more power from the Ring at the cost of your life. Again, Kingsglaive shows that in order for Nyx to be granted power, he must sacrifice himself. It's likely that the Kings must pay the same price if they are to fully control the power of their lineage.

As I mentioned previously, there's no ignoring Regis' sacrifice, he willingly sacrificed himself for his people which ties into the message on the wall. The Crystal is never directly mentioned to be "the gift", the text is cut off. The Crystal was not given to the Kingdom by the King... It was given to them by the Gods. The message likely refers to the original king who set up the Old Wall likely sacrificing his life to summon the statues.

The full text that we can see reads "...REMEMBER AND POSTERITY PROTECT THE GIFT OF OUR GREAT MARTYR KING". This could easily refer to Regis' sacrifice with the New Wall, or a potential sacrifice from the creation of the Old Wall, or something else entirely. Regardless, it has nothing to do with the Crystal, as the Crystal and Ring were given to Lucis by the Gods.
That doesn't really contradict my point, though, namely, that the Lucii aren't particularly invested in the lives of any particular individual, king or not. If Noct needed to die for the good of the world, I see no reason why they would hesitate in condemnining him to death.

There is no reason or any implications surrounding the death of Noctis in any way.
Just Regis doing his best to avoid Noct sharing his own fate, right? A near-death experience as a child? Eyes that see the light of expiring souls? A strong association with sleep? "Who cares if I make it out alive?" Following a black dog? Noct is surrounded by implications of death. It's kind of his thing.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Well, it'd be entirely consistent with the sin eater theory, where Noct's role as the King of Light requires him to take the darkness/chaos causing the Plague of the Stars into himself to purge it from the world. In light of that, Noct would hold himself responsible for all of the evil caused by daemon!Noct, which is plausible as an alternative meaning of Regis' words.

The most appealing part of the sin eater theory, though, is that it actually provides a reason why the Lucii would see the outcome of the Omen as a good thing and in line with Noct's mission as King. If daemon!Noct isn't necessary for the greater good in some way, that should be the last thing they want to happen.
If Noctis' purpose is that of a sin eater, then why doesn't Regis seem to care? You mentioned previously that he would show more concern over the death of someone he knows (Luna) but doesn't need to care over the sacrifice of his own son?

In other words, I think what's going on is that both Regis and the voice already knew the voice's endgame, but the voice chose to reference it in a different way in English because the translators think English speakers are more direct or something. As such, the creation of the Future King and the one death have to be connected in a way that Regis would recognize, which doesn't really make sense if the English Lucii just showed Regis that they want Noct to kill someone else through the Omen. Regis clearly didn't know about the things shown in the Omen, but if Noct's role as King will demand his life, it's easy to imagine Regis would have already known that.
What makes Noctis so special that he needs to become a battery for chaos? What purpose does the Oracle have then? And if the Oracle and the King must be together always to stop the advancing darkness, then how does that fit with having Noctis deal with it himself and then lead to self-sacrifice. I just don't see where any of this comes together to make a cohesive narrative.

That doesn't really contradict my point, though, namely, that the Lucii aren't particularly invested in the lives of any particular individual, king or not. If Noct needed to die for the good of the world, I see no reason why they would hesitate in condemnining him to death.
My point was just to clear up things you were wrong about. The Crystal is not the gift of the King, Martyr has many implications, etc. They are not part of this theory, there's nothing that connects them together. To put it another way, none of those points form any connection.

Just Regis doing his best to avoid Noct sharing his own fate, right? A near-death experience as a child? Eyes that see the light of expiring souls? A strong association with sleep? "Who cares if I make it out alive?" Following a black dog? Noct is surrounded by implications of death. It's kind of his thing.
Yes, and Lucis is a city that worships reapers and death, where does that fit in with this narrative? Noctis being associated with sleep also shares a direct connection to "the figure asleep in the fantasy" and the sleeping figure on the logo for the game (which isn't Eos by the way). Yes, Noctis definitely does have an association with Death, but so doesn't the Lucis line in general. The only thing that separates Noctis is his near-death experience and things that make him special. The Lucii ring granting the user the ability to cast Death is enough to show that the imagery and usage of death and Lucis it's not tied to Noctis alone.

What I can summarize from your speculation is that you believe that Noctis must absorb the Plague of Darkness into himself and then sacrifice himself to save the world. This theory in part is based around the events of the Omen trailer. None of the other sacrifices are accounted for or explained in this theory. Luna's death is not accounted for or explained in this theory. I'm very much open to different ideas for the story, however, I don't see reason to believe that Omen has any implications on this theory.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
If Noctis' purpose is that of a sin eater, then why doesn't Regis seem to care? You mentioned previously that he would show more concern over the death of someone he knows (Luna) but doesn't need to care over the sacrifice of his own son?
Regis knew enough about what would become of Noct to mourn his destiny when he was still a child, per the Dawn trailer.

And it's not like he doesn't care at all; there's clearly a certain amount of bitterness in his voice when he asks the voice how many must die. What's notable is that he sounds resigned throughout, which wouldn't really make sense if the voice had just revealed that it intended to kill someone he cared about but could make sense if he'd already known that person would have to die and been forced to accept it years before.

What makes Noctis so special that he needs to become a battery for chaos?
"The Stars chose the Son to be their light."
What purpose does the Oracle have then?
The Oracle holds back the Plague of the Stars but can't seem to stop it once and for all without the King.

And if the Oracle and the King must be together always to stop the advancing darkness, then how does that fit with having Noctis deal with it himself and then lead to self-sacrifice. I just don't see where any of this comes together to make a cohesive narrative.
This, I can't say for sure, but missing information doesn't necessarily mean there's no coherent narrative to be found.

I mean, the answer could be as simple as the Lucii simply not recognizing the value of the Oracle because that's a Tenebrae thing, with Noct eventually recognizing that there's a better way because of the time he spent with Luna.

My point was just to clear up things you were wrong about. The Crystal is not the gift of the King, Martyr has many implications, etc. They are not part of this theory, there's nothing that connects them together. To put it another way, none of those points form any connection.
I didn't have enough time to address tangential points when responding last time, but I feel the need to point out that my fault was in positing speculation as fact, not in saying things known to be wrong.

It's possible that the gift of the martyr king was something other than the crystal, true. But it's also possible that his people saw it as his gift even if he himself received it from the gods. And the language used strongly suggests that, whether the gift referred to the crystal or not, it was given in the distant past instead of being recent.

Either way, the inscription still links the role of the king with martyrdom and therefore death, which is what's most relevant to the matter at hand.

Yes, and Lucis is a city that worships reapers and death, where does that fit in with this narrative?
Worshipping death is unusual enough that it warrants some sort of explanation as to why people would do such a thing in the first place.

And, conveniently enough, a strong association between royalty and death is exactly the sort of thing that could drive that dynamic. It's human nature to try to justify the social order, and viewing death in a positive light because the people in power are the ones called to publicly give their lives for the greater good seems like exactly the sort of justification people might make.

In any case, Lucis' affiliation with death is clearly connected to its kings' affiliation with death. It certainly doesn't meaningfully undercut Noct's own heavy affiliations.

Noctis being associated with sleep also shares a direct connection to "the figure asleep in the fantasy" and the sleeping figure on the logo for the game (which isn't Eos by the way).
The sleeping figure was heavily implied to have been Etro back when the game was Versus XIII, which only deepens the death connections.

Yes, Noctis definitely does have an association with Death, but so doesn't the Lucis line in general. The only thing that separates Noctis is his near-death experience and things that make him special. The Lucii ring granting the user the ability to cast Death is enough to show that the imagery and usage of death and Lucis it's not tied to Noctis alone.
I don't see how the death imagery being tied to the line of Lucis really contradicts my position that his role as part of that line could require his life...?

I mean, the impression I get is that Noct is sort of intended to be the fulfillment of the Lucis line -- the True King who will overcome the darkness on "the night when all comes to naught." As such, the Lucis imagery would all be designed to point to him and his role and the general death associations would be just as applicable him as his individual associations.

What I can summarize from your speculation is that you believe that Noctis must absorb the Plague of Darkness into himself and then sacrifice himself to save the world. This theory in part is based around the events of the Omen trailer.
Not quite -- my theory is that this is what the Lucii intend to happen. I suspect the way it actually turns out will be rather different.

None of the other sacrifices are accounted for or explained in this theory. Luna's death is not accounted for or explained in this theory.
Sure they are. The other sacrifices (including Luna's) are the lives that will be lost in turning Noct into that daemon. There doesn't really need to be more to it than that given that the voice apparently only cares about one death and the endgame of Noct as King anyway.

I'm very much open to different ideas for the story, however, I don't see reason to believe that Omen has any implications on this theory.

Huh? The Omen trailer -- largely through its introduction of daemon Noct -- is the only reason why that sort of theory would even come up. The theory's consistent with the other stuff we know in retrospect, but without the context provided by Omen, I'd just been assuming that Tabata had replaced whatever Versus Noct was supposed to be with a more standard messianic sort of figure.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
"The Stars chose the Son to be their light."
I know that Noctis is special for the sake of the story, otherwise, we wouldn't be playing as him. That's not really what I'm asking though. This line itself basically is saying Noctis was chosen to be a Warrior of Light. It doesn't say anything about being a vessel of chaos.

The Oracle holds back the Plague of the Stars but can't seem to stop it once and for all without the King.

I mean, the answer could be as simple as the Lucii simply not recognizing the value of the Oracle because that's a Tenebrae thing, with Noct eventually recognizing that there's a better way because of the time he spent with Luna.
Yes, the Oracle holds back the Plague of the Star. The Lucii were past Kings, surely they know of the Oracle's purpose in the world for the betterment of the future. Even if they didn't know her, they would judge her character and know her purpose and intent. If the Lucii are indeed guardians of the future, I don't see how the Oracle is something that has slipped past them for hundreds of years.

Either way, the inscription still links the role of the king with martyrdom and therefore death, which is what's most relevant to the matter at hand.
Without full context, it's meaningless to connect it with anything else, that's what I'm trying to say. I have put forth my own ideas of what it could mean, and even still, it means nothing without knowing what the full message says.

I mean, the impression I get is that Noct is sort of intended to be the fulfillment of the Lucis line -- the True King who will overcome the darkness on "the night when all comes to naught." As such, the Lucis imagery would all be designed to point to him and his role and the general death associations would be just as applicable him as his individual associations.
I agree that Noctis is the chosen King who will overcome the darkness etc as it falls in line with the prophesy. As for deaths associated with it, I'm not sure that's directly related to the prophesy.

Sure they are. The other sacrifices (including Luna's) are the lives that will be lost in turning Noct into that daemon. There doesn't really need to be more to it than that given that the voice apparently only cares about one death and the endgame of Noct as King anyway.
You're assuming that Noct's death is already set in stone when it's not. You are only entertaining the idea that Noctis has to die and you form all of your theories around it because that's what you've already made to be true in your mind.

Huh? The Omen trailer -- largely through its introduction of daemon Noct -- is the only reason why that sort of theory would even come up. The theory's consistent with the other stuff we know in retrospect, but without the context provided by Omen, I'd just been assuming that Tabata had replaced whatever Versus Noct was supposed to be with a more standard messianic sort of figure.
Daemon Noctis can easily be metaphorical and the intentions of its presence may not be a literal one. This trailer isn't canonical and could mean many things. The only reason it somewhat fits into the story is with Regis asking the Gods to forgive him and lowering the "new wall" which is part of what happens in Kingsglaive.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I know that Noctis is special for the sake of the story, otherwise, we wouldn't be playing as him. That's not really what I'm asking though. This line itself basically is saying Noctis was chosen to be a Warrior of Light. It doesn't say anything about being a vessel of chaos.
You asked "what makes Noctis so special that he needs to become a battery for chaos?", not "what evidence is there that he will become a vessel for chaos."

The answer to the former is that it'd obviously be the same thing that made him special enough to stop the Plague of the Stars in any other way.

The answer to the latter is that there are plenty of hints from the Versus days -- the red eyes (which appear to have become permanent after the timeskip), the connection with Etro's light, the FNC mythos about chaos being contained within human hearts, etc.

Yes, the Oracle holds back the Plague of the Star. The Lucii were past Kings, surely they know of the Oracle's purpose in the world for the betterment of the future. Even if they didn't know her, they would judge her character and know her purpose and intent. If the Lucii are indeed guardians of the future, I don't see how the Oracle is something that has slipped past them for hundreds of years.
Just because they know of her doesn't necessarily mean that they care. If their mission can be completed most efficiently through her death, what we've been shown of them suggests that they wouldn't hesitate.

Without full context, it's meaningless to connect it with anything else, that's what I'm trying to say. I have put forth my own ideas of what it could mean, and even still, it means nothing without knowing what the full message says.
Speculation is limited without full context, but not necessarily meaningless. The phrase "Great Martyr King" itself says a lot about how Lucis' royalty is connected with martyrdom.

I agree that Noctis is the chosen King who will overcome the darkness etc as it falls in line with the prophesy. As for deaths associated with it, I'm not sure that's directly related to the prophesy.
That's not really what I'm saying. My point was that the line of Lucis, which seems to have been groomed to fulfill the prophecy, is steeped in death imagery, which implies at least some correlation between their prophecized role and death.

You're assuming that Noct's death is already set in stone when it's not. You are only entertaining the idea that Noctis has to die and you form all of your theories around it because that's what you've already made to be true in your mind.
Huh? The part you quoted was a pretty standard explication on how my theory could remain consistent with everything else we know. I'm not assuming that Noct's death is set in stone, just defending a theory I like.

Daemon Noctis can easily be metaphorical and the intentions of its presence may not be a literal one. This trailer isn't canonical and could mean many things. The only reason it somewhat fits into the story is with Regis asking the Gods to forgive him and lowering the "new wall" which is part of what happens in Kingsglaive.
If the trailer were that disconnected from the actual game, I can't really understand why they'd bother making it, though. I mean, all it'd really do is risk irritating the Versus fans further by making them think Versus-like stuff was in the game when it wasn't. =/

Nye

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 17, 2016
Ok so after watching the trailer for more than I count and analyzing every bit of information we got up to this point, this trailer pretty much confirms my initial theory that I had watching the Dawn trailer, but before I can get into it I need to confirm a few facts here:

1- The stars choose Noctis to be their King of Light.
2- Based on the Dawn trailer, King Regis is shown to be mourning Noctis's fate. The trailer implies that Noctis's fate may turn out a very tragic one. (falling into madness/ or be sacrificed to prevent the plague of the stars?)
3- The song lyrics of "Too Much is Never Enough" implies that Noctis did something that Luna disagreed with but it didn't matter to him because "he had the strength to fight"

My theory is, due to Noctis facing some near-death experience he was chosen by the Stars to be their Light and because of that he has the eyes that see the expiring souls. However, what if Noctis being chosen by the Stars is actually a bad thing? Regis seeing that omen isn't just a cool trailer, but a confirmation that by being a King of Light Noctis will end up falling into madness. Why else would Regis mourn his son's destiny and actually try to prevent it and risking angering the Gods? Isn't being a King of Light something that they should be proud of instead of dreading it?

I think in the end Noctis will turn against the Gods to fight for his future and preserve the Lucis line.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
My theory is, due to Noctis facing some near-death experience he was chosen by the Stars to be their Light and because of that he has the eyes that see the expiring souls. However, what if Noctis being chosen by the Stars is actually a bad thing? Regis seeing that omen isn't just a cool trailer, but a confirmation that by being a King of Light Noctis will end up falling into madness. Why else would Regis mourn his son's destiny and actually try to prevent it and risking angering the Gods? Isn't being a King of Light something that they should be proud of instead of dreading it?

I think in the end Noctis will turn against the Gods to fight for his future and preserve the Lucis line.
I think it's important to remember that there's more than one supernatural faction involved, which could make things more complicated than just "being the King of Light is inherently bad."

The Hexatheon ("the gods"/likely "the Stars") seem to be surrounded by positive, early-FF-compliant imagery, with one exception (ie Ifrit). They're closely connected with Luna, who we know is good, and while they're certainly inclined to test Noct, they're also positioned as allies given their role as summons.

The Lucii, on the other hand, are super sketchy while also seeming to serve as middlemen in revealing Noct's destiny. They're the ones who show up in the Dawn trailer, and it seems like they're the ones who gave Regis the vision seen in the Omen trailer.

And then, of course, there's Ifrit, who is almost certainly linked with the Lucii. My suspicion is that his is the forbidden power hidden inside the Ring of the Lucii, given how much fire imagery surrounds the ring. It seems entirely possible that he could be leading the Lucii astray and using them to corrupt Noct in defiance of the other Astrals, probably for trapping him in the ring in the first place.

So, we could be looking at a situation like XII where we're facing off against a rogue god rather than the gods as a whole, with Noct needing to reclaim his proper throne as King of Light by rejecting Ifrit's malign influence. It'd certainly explain Regis' lines about "the lies of our enemies" from the Uncovered trailer, and it seems more in line with the idea of learning to accept responsibility that seems to be an important theme for the game.

I still suspect Noct's prophesized role might require him to sacrifice himself, but it's hard to imagine that what we saw in the Omen trailer would be required of him from anyone with as many positive affiliations as the Goddess and the non-Ifrit Astrals seem to have.

Just one other thing I wanted to mention:

3- The song lyrics of "Too Much is Never Enough" implies that Noctis did something that Luna disagreed with but it didn't matter to him because "he had the strength to fight"
I'm not sure that's the implication, actually. The lines in question go, "And who cares about the thing I did that night?/So what, maybe Luna had it right/And who cares if I'm coming back alive?/So what, 'least I have the strength to fight."

To me, it reads as if he thinks "the thing I did that night" doesn't matter because Luna was right about whatever he'd disagreed with her about, and that he no longer cares whether he survives because he'll at least have the strength to fight.

Edda

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 5, 2016
I hate these kind of trailers. They're extremely metaphorical, but nobody can solve them because further information has been withheld for the time being. Omen has made me more interested in the story, but I feel I may pop a vein if I were to try to figure it out.

Fun thing I did think up of was that the trailer may be trying to blur the line between Noctis and Luna's identities with the mirror images. The person you're watching, is it Noctis, or is it really Luna? Perhaps it would be easier to treat every scene of Noctis as that of an anonymous human being who could be any one of the two. Who is truly lying dead at the very end? Could Luna be the evil/possessed one here who inevitably kills Noctis?

And then I remember that Noctis was shirtless at the time, and my theory crumbles like Tidus' head did from an exploding Blitzball.