1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Opinions on Square-Enix creating a multimedia "Universe" for every new FF (pre and post-launch)?

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Discussion' started by Lulcielid, Nov 24, 2016.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

At Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV Square-Enix revealed to the world the Final Fantasy XV Universe.
    [​IMG]
    A sub-franchise within the FF series that´s centered around FFXV. This sub franchise is composed a demo, a CGI movie, an anime OVA series, 2 mobile games (soon to be 3) with future DLCs centered around certain characters.

This is not the first time that Square-Enix makes a sub-franchise out of one game in the flagship series, the FFVII Compilation was the presedence to this but this multimedia universe was only born years after the original game launched.

What are your thoughts regarding Square-Enix making a multimedia "Universe" out of future installments (be it before the game releases or after it does)?

2. llazy77

llazy77 Sphere Hunter

Keep it all in one game, it will create a better game instead of moving story to other things and cutting things. The mobile games and DLC's are fine if handled well.(IE the DLC's not being cut content from the game)

3. ChingleeTribal

ChingleeTribal Chocobo Knight

I'd prefer they expand the methos and lore after the games are out. And for the media outside the game to feel like something that adds some depth and flavour to the established 'universe' without it feeling like it's been cut out from the original game.

4. LeonBlade

LeonBlade Forest Owl Staff Member Moderator Site Staff

Depends on if the game really needs it. I think Final Fantasy does better when it's left to one game at a time and perhaps coming back to familiar lands for certain games like with Ivalice.

The only reason XV has it is because of the state of that game.

5. Rogue-Tomato

Rogue-Tomato Yevonite

This is my thoughts too.

Also, SE had to try their best to exceed expectations with this game / story, and this is one way of doing it. Going forward, I don't think it's something that should be done again.

6. The GemiKnight

The GemiKnight Red Wings Commander

Previous games in the series have been successful without a "multimedia universe" so I'd have to agree with LeonBlade on this one. Depends entirely on the needs of that particular game.

7. Storm

Storm AVALANCHE Warrior

i enjoyed kingsglave but id rather have the events unfold in the game; brotherhood i think it was a great addition without "taking" anything from the experience.

dunno, i think it's nice to do this compilations from time to time just to shake things up.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  8. SonOfEtro

SonOfEtro ShinRa SOLDIER

I'd prefer to keep it within a single game. Multimedia projects can easily become messy, especially if it's difficult to access all parts of it. I don't want every future FF to turn into a Halo situation. The latter has become a story where you need twelve novels, three separate lines of comics, a web series or two, a live action extravaganza, an anime, and the game followed by several large DLC episodes to understand what the heck is going on.

9. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

Waste of time and money. Keep it in the game. If the game universe is good enough, you can follow up with this stuff afterwards.

10. SilverGlyph

SilverGlyph Balamb Garden Freshman

Yeah, I'm not for it either. I want to experience the lore by playing the game, not passively watching (in the case of the movies and anime). Spin-off games, I don't mind as much.

11. Paperchampion23

Paperchampion23 PSICOM Soldier

One of my biggest hopes is that they'll do a prologue story and adapt some of the brotherhood and or Kingsglaive stuff, perhaps through the DLC in the form of flashbacks? God, brotherhood though makes me wish Insomnia was at least partially exploreable, it looks amazing.
    But yea, I'd rather have a complete story within a game than have multimedia projects. If they would sell a 2-3 hour version of the Insomnia invasion from Kingsglaive allowing you to play Nyx, i'd pay whatever price they'd want.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!