PAX 2014: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Impressions

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Looks like the gaming press are getting a chance to see Final Fantasy Type-0 HD at PAX. Here's a list of links to all these impressions and some interesting tidbits below.

IGN: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Fast Violent and Mature

Why it's not coming to PSVita.
While talking with Tabata, I brought up a lot of the questions we had immediately following Type-0 HD’s stealth announcement back in June at E3, first and foremost, why isn’t it coming to Vita. His answer was a bit vague, but he kept circling around to the idea of his excitement of finally being able to play through the portable game on the big screen, on new hardware, and the fact that it’ll now be able to get out to a much wider audience.
Completion percentage.
Tabata also assured me that Type-0 HD will be a full retail game, and while he couldn’t comment on when we’ll be able to play it, he mentioned that it’s currently about 80% done.
Game Informer: Final Fantasy Type-0 Takes the Series in an Action Packed Direction
Visually, the team is using what it's learned so far developing Final Fantasy XV to improve the textures and models, lighting, and reflections for new-generation hardware. It doesn't look like a game that started as a PSP title. "This isn't an asset-based HD remaster. It's technology based," Tabata told-us, explaining that Type-0 isn't just a fresh coat of paint.
Seattle Chinese Times: Final Fantasy Type-0 is True New Gen Material
Final Fantasy Type-0 is far from a typical up-resed “HD Remastered” port. Being rebuilt from the ground up with DirectX 11 for new-gen consoles exclusively is giving this cult classic a worthy re-release.
Kotaku: Eight Big Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Questions, Answered (Click link for more in depth answers)
1) When is Type-0 HD coming out?
A)
Within the next year, Tabata says.

2) Why Xbox One and PS4? Why not Xbox 360 and PS3?
A)
Tabata says that they hope it becomes the first basis for Final Fantasy XV when they release that globally.

3) Is Type-0 ever coming to portable systems?
A)
Don't count on it.

4) Is it true that Square Enix was planning on localizing the PSP version but changed their minds because of business realities?
A)
Yes. The biggest reason was timing and US PSP market at the time was kinda shrinking.

5) Will Type-0 HD's development delay Final Fantasy XV at all?
A)
Nope.

6) How do Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV differ?
A)
"As an over-arching theme, Type-0 is a war-themed game, so it's kind of like a war movie in a sense. Whereas XV is a road trip kind of movie and adventure that focuses on brotherhood. The overarching theme is kind of different in terms of scenario."

7) Are they adding any new content that wasn't in the PSP version?
A)
Nope. No new story or challenge modes. The Three main differences are A) HD graphics, B) New control scheme for traditional controls and C) Difficulty modes.

8) Does the game look good?

I think so. Don't expect a traditional Final Fantasy here, and don't expect something that pushes the boundaries of what the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One can do—this is a remake of a PSP game, after all—but the few minutes I saw of Type-0 made me want to play more.

This will be the first single-player Final Fantasy game on current-gen consoles. It's hard not to look forward to that.
Jason Schreier (Kotaku)
With the caveat that I only saw a few minutes: it looks good. Some close ups of textures and faces make it clear this isn't a current-gen game, but it's definitely pretty. Tabata said they used the prerendered models from the PSP version as real-time models for this one.

Gamespot: Final Fantasy Director Hajime Tabata on Type-0, Final Fantasy XV, and More.

How soon will North America and Europe get a chance to experience Type-0? Tabata wouldn't say. "So, it is a packaged title, and we have a release date, but we can’t disclose it just yet. We’d love for you to play it."

Last edited:
Square-Enix actually bringing something significant to PAX Prime? No way!

The game is ostensibly 80% done, which surprises me, bearing in mind the general speed of Square-Enix development. But it could also suggest that it really just is a remaster work akin to Peace Walker, polished up a bit, and ultimately not very taxing a thing to do.

But hey, at least we may get something for 2015, along with a FFXIV expansion while we wait for FFXV in 2016 at the earliest, amirite?

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
I played it back on the PSP. Very fun. My kind of battle system, but sad I couldn't understand any of the lore and world building.

I still think FFXV will be late 2015. But that's another topic.

Sep 26, 2013
But it could also suggest that it really just is a remaster work akin to Peace Walker, polished up a bit, and ultimately not very taxing a thing to do.
Well, the press release did say it was a remaster. I wouldn't really go in expecting much other then better textures and switching character assets with higher quality ones.

If the game looks anything like those images we saw at E3, you could probably throw in a better light source too.

It's seriously not going to be the full $60, is it?

"Mature" is a rather nebulous term in this instance. Does a more brutal portrayal of the old Final Fantasy trope of one's kingdom/country being invaded and occupied by an enemy imperial power, with very visible blood and elevated violence necessarily mean it's "mature"? Thematically does it tackle anything beyond the boundaries that the Final Fantasy franchise is normally comfortable to cover? Does it explore the unseen psychological recesses of the teenage protagonists as the realities of war gradually erode and destroy them? What does "mature" actually mean? Staring at a teacher while she's undressing?

I expect this game to be panned to some significant degree. Sans a massive gameplay overhaul, I can see the bite-sized nature of the design, coupled with the samey towns and the blatant invisible walls on the world map quickly drain the patience and the enthusiasm of players who were expecting anything AAA by console standards.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Thematically does it tackle anything beyond the boundaries that the Final Fantasy franchise is normally comfortable to cover? Does it explore the unseen psychological recesses of the teenage protagonists as the realities of war gradually erode and destroy them? .
From the parts I've see of the game on the net and the demo I got on my PSP (from on their official JPN website) I think the characters will have to deal with the heavy topics and stress that goes with war. Just the opening scenes with people dying and the failure to save them hits pretty home in the tragic nature of things. Maybe what they mean by "mature" is that this subject linger and stay a dark tone thru the whole game as the class tries to press on to end the suffering.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Reading some of the impressions... some say it's being built with Direct X11 and holds up well to other console games. Some say "don't expect FFXV"

Really conflicting.

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
Halfway through the game and I can definately say that some of the female characters are the opposite of mature,but overall the war atmosphere of the game is really good,in terms of lore it reminds me of a more modern FF12

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Am I the only one who is slightly discouraged by this? I was really hoping for some new content, but the preview seems to be hinting at otherwise. Thinking I may wait until this hits the bargain bin until I purchase again if it's truly just an HD port.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014