PAX 2014: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Impressions

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Jul 29, 2014
Miami
If the game is 80% complete, what's the harm in releasing a trailer?

Perhaps Square will release it shortly after PAX, but it seems backwards to just showcase a bit-sized portion of the game to a select few journalism outlets when you have a large convention to use as a platform to show off content.

They weren't afraid to release countless trailers for Lightning Returns (AKA quick cash-grab), but now they're being camera shy for a clearly more competent title?

Did I miss something?

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Pretty sure you'll be seeing one tomorrow night (or morning).
Why? Is there anything special happening tomorrow?

With all that talk of Directx 11 I actually hope that this game will be something more than just a lazy remaster. I might even regain some faith in SE if it looks like a proper PS4 game.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Why do you think so?
SCEJA Press Conference tomorrow or early morning Monday... whichever.

Game hasn't formally been announced for Japan yet. However, Tabata has already talked about the main aim for the Type-0 HD initiative is to get the FF fanbase in Japan on the current generation consoles.

I don't know. Just putting two & two together lol

Sep 26, 2013
From Jason Schreier
With the caveat that I only saw a few minutes: it looks good. Some close ups of textures and faces make it clear this isn't a current-gen game, but it's definitely pretty. Tabata said they used the prerendered models from the PSP version as real-time models for this one.
From Game Informer
Visually, the team is using what it's learned so far developing Final Fantasy XV to improve the textures and models, lighting, and reflections for new-generation hardware. It doesn't look like a game that started as a PSP title. "This isn't an asset-based HD remaster. It's technology based," Tabata told-us, explaining that Type-0 isn't just a fresh coat of paint.

Sep 26, 2013
Holy crap. That means they must look pretty good. I'm so excited.
I kinda figured that's what they would do. Replace character models with the higher poly ones.

The impression I'm getting is that this is still a remaster but not your typical one. Things like better lighting, reflections and textures for example are covering that "PSP look" up but the geometry itself still looks simple and low poly.

Same with the camera work as well. If you look at the desert looking shot for example, you get that sense that things are far away due to the camera angle and lighting. Looks like a bit of fog too. But the model of that location still looks identical to the old one.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
So it seems that Type-0 HD's goal is to get more people onboard with the PS4 and X1 before XV's release. Personally, I'm glad this isn't coming out on Vita, or at the least, I'm glad this is coming to consoles, I feel like it deserves to be played on a big screen with full controls.

Looking forward to seeing the game in action!

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
I support home console movement in Japan. So I was pretty happy they kept it to current-generation consoles. Type-0 HD should help a bit with the situation in Japan when they see it. Probably sell more in NA/EU though.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
So all the scenes will like like the best real-time scenes from KH games or FFX? When the characters get a zoomed in close up and show a full range of expressions instead of their far off stock gestures? I'm not fully versed in the mechanics of that character model stuff. But from what I hear it sounds like they're not dicking around with doing this on PS4.

And I concur with the lack of games appealing to the JPN fans. I look for PS4 RPGs and ones that often remind me of mature anime (like FMA or GITS or Psycho Pass). So if a game is gritty but not anime inspired I can't get with it. And if it's anime style but childish I leave it, usually except KH games. And if it's gore for gore sake and depressing I leave it alone even if it's anime style or deep.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Best way to explain it is visually...I think:

See here in this trailer... ignoring the CG and gameplay, there's a stark difference. Apparently they are using the better looking, more animated models.

That's what I got from reading around. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
They're just replacing the real-time models with the pre-rendered models used in cut scenes.

This is what all the character models should look like.

Or just watch the opening.

Last edited:

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Really hoping for some footage to go public soon. It's difficult to imagine what the final product will look like from the previews alone.

Sep 26, 2013
Considering that not only they are highly updating every model/texture in the game and also if they are using DirectX11, the difference will be highly significant. The visuals will be a massive jump from the PSP game.
I can't help but to think that your expectations may be a bit way too high here.