Persona 5 Discussion Thread (Spoiler Tagged)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
I know some of you guys haven't finished the game yet, but so far, is it shaping up to become your GOTY?

Yeah I know it's still a bit early, but comparing to all the titles you've played that have been release this year... thoughts?

It was a toss up between this and Zelda, but I think Persona 5 is gonna take the cake for me.

Zelda was great, but that forgettable ending and lack of great tracks brought it down for me.

I like the story, characters, music, gameplay and the social simulator for this game. Only "complaint" I have is having to spend time in Mementos. Not my favourite area.
I haven't played Zelda, but for me personally GOTY so far is either Persona 5 or Nier Automata. Both games are amazing. I think Persona 5 battle system is one of the best if not the best of the entire genre. Its simple and enganging, requires skill on harded difficulties and not overwhelming.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I just finished the November palace, and I'm on 21/11.

I have to say, every villain in this game is so cartoonishly evil... the only thing they lack is a mustache to twirl all day long. And don't get me started on how the main villains revealed their master plan while talking to each other. The exposition during that huge circlejerk felt so forced.

Gotta say that's the longest story line sequence since Metal Gear Solid 4. I think it was around an hour and a half long? Jesus.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I just finished the November palace, and I'm on 21/11.

I have to say, every villain in this game is so cartoonishly evil... the only thing they lack is a mustache to twirl all day long. And don't get me started on how the main villains revealed their master plan while talking to each other. The exposition during that huge circlejerk felt so forced.

Gotta say that's the longest story line sequence since Metal Gear Solid 4. I think it was around an hour and a half long? Jesus.
Yeah it was an extremely long segment. It was
14-15 days of non stop story after all.

I think it's the longest story sequence I've played... ever.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Currently on 8/22. I have 2 confidants maxed (Chariot & Sun). Did anyone have any confidant maxed by this time?

Yeah it was an extremely long segment. It was
14-15 days of non stop story after all.

I think it's the longest story sequence I've played... ever.
Could you save in between days or was everything uninterrupted?

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Currently on 8/22. I have 2 confidants maxed (Chariot & Sun). Did anyone have any confidant maxed by this time?

Could you save in between days or was everything uninterrupted?
Yeah I only had Chariot maxed. At that date I was building up the other Confidants. Near end game and am maxing everyone with a domino effect.

Social stats are all maxed out as of now.

You could save in between days on evenings only. Only some evenings would be free for you to do what you please.

During the day you got no control at all.

I highly recommend to do Mementos requests way before so those evenings can be spent on Confidants.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I highly recommend to do Mementos requests way before so those evenings can be spent on Confidants.
So, doing them as soon as they area available is the most appropiate strategy?

My next confidants to max are Mishima (rank 8) and Tae (rank 7), after maxing Yoshida confidant, coincidently my charm level up to lv4, what I requiered to continue with Tae.

edit: so far another thing I am not fan in the game, is that at times the game takes away control from you when managing how you want to spend your time. There're a bunch of days that are wasted in story events that could have easily being resolved in less days that the game forces you or Morgana for unknown reasons forcing you to sleep despite not having gone to a palace/memento.
While this problem was also present in Persona 3 & 4, at least in those games they were less frequent.

edit: fixing spelling and grammar.

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
So, doing them as soon as they area available is the most appropiate strategy?

My next confidants to max are Mishima (rank 8) and Tae (rank 7), after maxing Yoshida confidant, coincidently my charm level up to lv4, what I requiered to continue with Tae.

edit: so far another thing I am not fan in the game, is that at times the game takes away control from you when managing how you want to spend your time. There're a bunch of days that are a bunch of days that are wasted in story events that could have easily being resolved in less days that the game forces you or Morgana for unknown reasons forcing you sleep despite not having travelled a palace/memento.
While this problem was also present in Persona 3 & 4, at least in those games they were less frequent.
It's better to save up 2-4 Mementos quests before going in to save time and not waste your evenings.

That's what I've done and it's a very efficient way to go about it time wise.

Yeah I agree with what you said in the edited paragraph. Lots of days wasted for no apparent reason.

*talks to party*

Morgana: Hey shouldn't you go to sleep? Let's not do that today.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
There's an annoying mechanique that the game never tells you it exist: After you reach the palace treasure you're unable to hang out with confidants until you send the calling card to the target.

Fortunately for me I never noticed this because I always sent it inmediately the following day. I only discovered this while I was browsing in another forum.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Hmm. Had no idea that mechanic existed. I usually just send it the day after.

As for the Palaces, I do them instantly, finish in one day, then use the remaining time for stats and Confidants.

I quite like how strategic this game is on closer inspection. Every action you do has consequences further down the line depending on how wisely you spent your time.

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
The school trip was underwhelming.

Began doing palace 5. I'm suspecting it will be a hella long dungeon.
I've been very conservative with my SP and my team still got very dry, doubt I will be able to clear it in a single day, may probably need a second day. Just finished doing a "minigane" of finding the (low)chief's ID card.

I guess I will spend my +200k yens on 5 SP Badges 3

I ended up taking the romance route with Tae Takemi.

Last edited:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
The school trip was underwhelming.

Began doing palace 5. I'm suspecting it will be a hella long dungeon.
I've been very conservative with my SP and my team still got very dry, doubt I will be able to clear it in a single day, may probably need a second day. Just finished doing a "minigane" of finding the (low)chief's ID card.

I guess I will spend my +200k yens in 5 SP Badges 3

I ended up taking the romance route with Tae Takemi.
Why would you buy 5 of them? Just buy 4. They work like a charm, dungeons become a breeze with them.

I'm 80 hours in. I did the Reaper cheat on Flu season and got my party 20 levels higher :3 The next dungeon is going to be so easy. And thank God for that, I really want to finish this game ASAP. It really is too long.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Palace 6 is the longest Palace thus far. Spent nearly an hour (or more I think) on it and Mona says I'm probably 1/5 of the way in... and here I thought 3 was stretching it a bit...

I'll admit there is a lot of padding in the game that draws the length out, but I quite enjoy the social side of things and going about my activities in the real world. Palaces and Mementos are things I just want to get out of the way asap so I can get back to the real world.

4 SP accessories are enough. Any more and you're wasting yen imo. You can just swap them out between members since you can only have 4 active party members at a time anyway.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Currently on 9/12.

Was doing Palace 5 Boss fight (gotta say he's probably the goofies looking thus far) but dropped it midway because I was tired and was well beyond midnight, had no timed to sit throught various minutes of cutscenes and dialogues until the next save point. I will funish the fight in the morning after waking up.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Currently on 9/12.

Was doing Palace 5 Boss fight (gotta say he's probably the goofies looking thus far) but dropped it midway because I was tired and was well beyond midnight, had no timed to sit throught various minutes of cutscenes and dialogues until the next save point. I will funish the fight in the morning after waking up.
A wise decision. A barrage of cutscenes await for you after that.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Currently 10/03.

Party Stats:
  • MC, Ryuji: LV46
  • Yusuke, Makoto, Morgana, Futaba: LV45
  • Ann, Haru: LV44

Stats:
  • Knowledge: Rank 4
  • Kindness: Rank 4
  • Charm: Rank 4
  • Guts: Rank 4
  • Proficiency: Rank 5

Maxed confidants:
  • Ryuji
  • Tae
  • Kawakami
  • Mishima
  • Yoshida
Plan to level up Hifumi's confidant but need knowledge 5 to do rank 8. Next would be levelling up charm to complete Makoto's but Futaba will take priority over her (due to pretty nice support skills).
I'm just 3 fusions away from completing the Twin Wardens confidant, I just to level up quite a bit.

Also, if you unlocked Chihaya (fortune) ask her everyday to do a fortune reading and choose the social stat growing fortune reading, it will make things faster (costs only 5,000 yens and does not consume time)

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
11/14

77 hours in the game.

First day of Flu season. Plan to exploit the reaper cheat tomorrow.

My current maxed confidants:
  • Ryuji
  • Tae
  • Kawakami
  • Mishima
  • Yoshida
  • Ann
  • Makoto
  • Twin Wardens
I think I can max Yusuke (rank 6) and Futaba (rank 5) before ending the game, Haru seens impossible at this stage (rank 1).

My social stats are rank 5 save for kindness (rank 4).

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Exploit Fortune 7 ability to get that last social stat quicker and to complete any Confidants you have left.

You still got time.

Yeah Haru is a NG+ for me. Not gonna bother.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Exploit Fortune 7 ability to get that last social stat quicker and to complete any Confidants you have left.

You still got time.
How does the Forutne 7 skill work? For example: If I have confidant with "Bond won't grow stronger, yet" and use Fortune 7 on that day, does it instantly turn it into "My bond will grow deeper" on that same day? or is it just a simple bonus boost when hanging out? (I only have Fortune at rank 3)

Yeah Haru is a NG+ for me. Not gonna bother.
I will likely ignore her and focus on Yusuke and Futaba.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
How does the Forutne 7 skill work? For example: If I have confidant with "Bond won't grow stronger, yet" and use Fortune 7 on that day, does it instantly turn it into "My bond will grow deeper" on that same day? or is it just a simple bonus boost when hanging out? (I only have Fortune at rank 3)

I will likely ignore her and focus on Yusuke and Futaba.
Correct. It does indeed instantly become "my bond will grow deeper" on that exact same day.

Which means you save a time slot and it advances the Confidant instantly without you wasting time taking them out to boost the relationship.

For the social stat side of things, it adds an extra note and a half I think. I maxed all of my stats at the end of the 9th month because of this fortune ability, leaving all the upcoming time for Confidants.

Whenever I was about to do something that I knew was going to add to a social stat, I always stopped by the fortune Confidant beforehand and bought the boost.

Very useful. Keep in mind both abilities can only be used once a day, and cost 5000 yen each.