1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

PS4K/PS4.5 What do you think ?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Lulcielid, Mar 24, 2016.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

Tags:
  1. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

2. Chocobocoholic

Chocobocoholic Yevonite

I don't think Sony would be stupid enough to release a PS4 that would alienate the current user base.

3. yeah_93

yeah_93 AVALANCHE Warrior

I wouldn't buy an upgrade of the same console, not unless it comes significantly cheaper if I trade it for the original version.

4. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

All three hardware makers have shown signs of using the Apple model. The idea is to target specific markets by creating a device that caters to a potential buyer’s personal needs. All hardware will still share the same architecture, operating system and content.

Think of it like how the 2DS was designed to target 5 year olds but yet still played the same games.

It's not something that should hurt anyone unless they start making exclusive content for it.

5. Chocobocoholic

Chocobocoholic Yevonite

The 2DS probably isn't the best example here, as that didn't add anything new. It took away the 3D aspect. If you're going to make a comparison then wouldn't the New 3DS be more fitting? That was a slightly more powerful hardware revision with exclusive content.

6. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

It's about market needs so it's not just about more powerful hardware.

7. Chocobocoholic

Chocobocoholic Yevonite

True. I don't have a 4K TV, but there are people out there that do and people will buy the new PS4.

Of course it might not even be real yet xD

8. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

So according to NeoGAF user "OsirisBlack", the PS4K is a thing.

See the full post here.

While it may be a new device, I won't get one - if this is true. I don't play on home consoles as much as I used to, so 500€ is a big ask for something that I may turn on once in a blue moon, esp. if more of the games that are "console exclusives" now on PS4 make their way to the PC.

9. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Someone correct if I´m wrong but a GPU boost would only allow better resolution? or Does it affect how much the machine can process (AKA, how much shit happening on screen that can output without problems)?

10. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

Both, actually. The better the GPU, the more stuff you can throw on the screen without hampering performance, but a better GPU also allows for faster processing of high-res textures, allowing the overall resolution to be higher.

11. Misty

Misty Yevonite

As someone who bought at launch, it does put me out a little that not even three years later my console is outdated. This is where the console and tech market is headed, though, for better or worse. PC gaming has always had the advantage of incremental upgrades; if your GPU is a little out of date, you can buy a new one (and potentially sell the old one, which can defray the cost of the new one slightly). But with console gaming, when you're outdated, you've gotta drop a few hundred on a new machine, and trade-in values are fairly low when new consoles replace the old.

I'm interested to see what direction Sony takes with the PS4K. Allowing for better graphics while still ensuring game compatibility seems to me the fairest option and one that's supported by rumors. After all, with the huge market share the PS4 currently has, it wouldn't make sense to alienate that userbase with PS4K "exclusive" games so soon after launch, especially when the PS4 is still arguably suffering from a small library. That said, if the PS4K doesn't offer many advantages (only 4K resolution support, for example), I can't see anyone but the most dedicated gamers (or the ones with huge disposable incomes) making the jump from PS4 to PS4K. Very few people have 4K TVs anyway, and the ones on the market are still very expensive.

12. Chocobocoholic

Chocobocoholic Yevonite

The rumours are still spreading like wildfire. If said rumours are indeed true then I can't see anything being officially confirmed until after PlayStation VR launches in October.

13. Zero

Zero Red Wings Commander UFFSite Veteran

I won't buy an upgraded PS4 until there is at least one exclusive game for it that I have to have. I don't have a 4K TV and I'm not enough of a graphics whore to go and get one. In general, I don't care for the idea of short console cycles, but I don't think that is what will come of this. My guess is they'll all still be capable of playing the same games and some will simply look or run better or both. I'm just not the guy who pays much attention to resolution and fps unless it seriously makes the game bad.

14. DrBretto

DrBretto AVALANCHE Warrior

I will get this and a PSVR with my tax returns next year. I am all about this.

I have full faith that Sony will not allow any game developers to create a divide in the fan base. All developers will be contractually obligated to make sure the game is perfectly playable on normal PS4's, with graphics upgrades available to PS4K users. You will not have to repurchase any games. No games will require a PS4K. All it will mean is that there will be a patch for most games that I already have so they can run at a better frame rate or can be split better into the dual screens in the PSVR headset for better VR graphics.

There is absolutely no downside to this for anyone.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!