1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Scalebound [PlatinumGames, Action-RPG, Non-linear, XBox One]

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Squirrel Emperor, Aug 6, 2015.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

2. llazy77

llazy77 Sphere Hunter

Hype \Kappa/

3. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

4. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

I'm really tired of developers showing too early versions of their games (cough cough FFXV cough). Pre-alpha? Seriously? It's just very misleading and makes it hard to tell if it's a game I'd be interested in. The combat looks weak and it's unclear whether it's just unfinished or by design. Not to mention horrible framerate.

5. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

If they hadn't put Pre-alpha on the screen we wouldn't have known this was early build.

6. Wazi the pa

It's pre-alpha for a reason. lol

7. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

I know this, but that's not the point. The question I'm asking is: why even show such an early build in the first place?
    Showing something like this is just presenting the game in a bad light.

8. Wazi the pa

For some. Others walked away impressed. It just entirely depends how you see the situation. If you understand where the game is at in it's development phase (Pre-alpha), it is almost 100% expected for it to have such problems, thus they stressed the fact it's pre-alpha footage they've shown.

9. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

I'm guessing they aren't counting Nier New Project?

10. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

@Sora96: It's a joint project based off of an external IP. I'm pretty sure they mean "first original in-house action RPG" when speaking about Scalebound.

11. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

Fair enough, looking forward to Nier though!

12. Wazi the pa

Seriously, Scalebound is just breathtaking from what I saw so far. I seriously want to see more of the expansive level design because that just really blows my mind away. Hell, I will consider even buying an Xbox One for this game. Conveniently, there's more exclusive titles like Rare Replay so the long term results is positive for doing so.

13. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

I saw this today with a personal demo live gameplay demo from Kamiya himself (dev playing, he and I watching, him explaining) and I will have more thoughts later on RPG Site, but I just wanted to take a second and say that while I thought the conference footage looked so-so, the extended stuff they showed me, including detailed menu-trawling and a tour of some of the RPG mechanics, blew me away. This is the most invigorating and exciting JRPG I've seen in years.

The back end of 2016 is going to be rammed. This, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect, FF15. Wow. Not sure there's enough room!

Prince Naphtali likes this.
  14. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Any news on if they will upload something from that extended stuff ?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  15. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

Not any time soon, I don't think. I'll have a detailed write-up, anyway. Its combat seems so accomplished and its customization very open, if it goes as far as they claim. Much more so than 15 appears to be doing, actually...

16. APZonerunner

17. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Aside from the 4 players mode (seens interesting), the link between the link between Drew and Thuban is the most interesting mechanique so far, it has a big potential for both gameplay and narrative purpose, we will have to wait and see if Kamiya-san uses it well.

18. APZonerunner

@Lumina While they've not shown it to the public - I recommend my preview(!) - I actually think the level of depth on the dragon customization is a massively fascinating mechanic. As you level up and grow you can customize each individual body part - things like front legs, back legs, different areas of the body, different segments of the tail, the wings, the head, if it has horns or not, what shape they are... everything combines to allow for potentially thousands of possible combinations. You can also add even further cosmetic changes on top of that by changing the dragon's skin etc.

The idea is that no two dragons will be the same. I LOVE this idea. It grows with you, and you decide what it grows into; it becomes your constant companion. You can even equip armour atop of the different body parts - so there's things like you could equip a sharp, serrated armour to the tail for more slashing damage, but it'll be slower as a result, and so on.

Their idea, they explained to me, is that they want Drew - the hero - to be a relatively 'set' character. He will level up and grow, but he'll grow down a set path like a standard JRPG hero (like Noctis is likely to) as the story progresses. However, the Dragon is a completely blank slate, allowing for an Elder Scrolls level of customization - the dragon is a blank slate in terms of his skill set, look, what sort of RPG 'class' role he can fill - and you fill that in yourself and hopefully in the process become attached to him without shifting to a silent or diluted protagonist - you still have a strong one in Drew.

19. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

Since ReCore (the game with the girl and her robot dog shown at E3) is rumoured to be published on PC as well, do you think Scalebound might make it too? It really seems like a nifty game, but I am hardly willing to dump my money on an ONE just for that.

20. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!