1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Shadow of the Colossus/PS2 gems

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sapientia, Sep 27, 2013.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

I hope we can create threads like this, but if not, feel free to smash this topic into oblivion. xD
    I've been dying to ask people on NC...what does thou think of this beautiful game?
    I love it. If there could ever be a GOTG, I'd say this one. The atmosphere, the relationship you build with the horse (well, that's on the player but I think generally everyone grew to love Agro), the epic soundtrack, kind of awkward but lovable controls, the graphics, the art direction...I really can't think of any flaws with this game, but that's just me. Any thoughts? Like it? Hate it? Played it at all?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Red Wings Commander

I nearly played it, was gonna buy it off of PSN but I never did. It looks amazing though. That MASSIVE landscape to explore. ICO was free for PS plus so i'm hoping SotC is next.

Sapientia likes this.
  3. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Oh, PLEASE get it. Snag the HD remasters if you can (SotC and ICO are included) and I can almost guarantee 100% you will like it. I's an experience you're not going to forget. I hope I don't sound like a game PR, but...yeah. And the landscape is literally colossal for the PS2.

4. AuroraXIII

AuroraXIII PSICOM Soldier

One of my all time favourites. Action-adventure is my favourite genre, so I have a strong affinity with SotC. And yes, this game is basically interactive art.
    The game achieved a good balance between minimalistic design and colossal scale. I've played it many times yet it's always an incredible experience.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Sapientia likes this.
  5. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Roger Ebert, may he rest in peace, but he was so very wrong.

AuroraXIII likes this.
  6. Ehren

Ehren The Sunflower Knight Moderator Site Staff

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite PS2 games, and I now have the HD version on PSN as well. I have a few quibbles with horse control and the default button set up, but being able to change said setup was really nice. It took me a long time to get passed the electric eel-type Colossus in that one lake, because I have a pretty intense fear of leviathans in the ocean. If they'd had a Colossus that was actually in the sea, I doubt I would ever have been able to complete the game.

My favorite Colossus to fight is the "horse" whom you have to trick into looking into one of four sits of barrows, then run out another and climb up its back. My least favorite aside from the lake colossus is the s[piny lizard thing that shoots thunderbolts at you.

Sapientia likes this.
  7. Tsukiyomi

This actually reminded me of topic on gamefaqs( hope it's ok to mention it) about the person that was playing SotC and she thought she found a secret Colossus that was far away, but it was a save temple or whatever at a funny angle that made it look like a large structure in the distance.

Ehren and Sapientia like this.
  8. Stealth

Stealth Red Wings Commander

I have never played a single team ico game despite owning them. I cant get into them ( I havent really tried)

9. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Yeah, I saw that, too! But I don't think they posted a picture so I never knew what they were referring to. But aside from that, has anyone else made it to the top of Dormin's temple, to the Forbidden Garden? Back in 2007 I finally built enough stamina to make it to the top, crossed the bridge (which took forever)...how the fruit actually permanently lowers your health and you can see where Dormin's spirit spoke through... I'll shut up now. I feel like I'm rambling. xD

Orenji and Ehren like this.
  10. Ehren

Ehren The Sunflower Knight Moderator Site Staff

Yeah, I made it to the top. After exploring I decided to jump down the hole Dormin's voice rumbles through and, of course, died. I was a little disappointed to find nothing cool at the end of the bridge, but it was interesting that wind kept you from escaping the Sealed Lands.

Sapientia likes this.
  11. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Phaedra was actually my least favorite battle, as I've never found the perfect way to jump onto his tail even after he burrows his legs in the mounds...run up on Agro and jump on his tail? Jump on his bead thingamajiggers on his face? Haha.
    Hydrus freaked me out at first as he swims up to meet you, but I'd say the one that intimidated me the most was Dirge. The one I'll admit to screaming when his eyes popped up from the sand. Dem unblinking eyes.
    The most "fun"? Well...Avion, Gaius, and seeing Phalanx for the first time was an awe-inspiring moment for me. I'm sure no one knows what on earth I'm talking about, but that's okay.

12. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

It would have blown my mind if there was a whole new world behind that tunnel...
    I can't wait for The Last Guardian, if it ever comes. I really don't know what it's about other than a boy and his hyena-flying-pet-thing, but if it's by Team ICO that is something I can get behind. Ueda's the director, isn't he...?

13. Tsukiyomi

I found the topic, and there was a pic included:

Attached Files:

Sapientia likes this.
  14. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Huh. Must be in the southeastern edge of the map, if the emptiness beyond the land is anything to go by. I can see what they mean, though that would have been one tiny colossus.

15. Tsukiyomi

I read that SotC is 5 dollars on the PSN store, I might get it if I have enough leftover when I buy the BL2 DLC in October.

16. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

BL2 stands for...?

17. Tsukiyomi

Borderlands 2

Sapientia likes this.
  18. Zack

Zack Somniac Staff Member Moderator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

Ehren and Sapientia like this.
  19. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

There's also the NomadColossus or something like that on YouTube...he/she has hacked into the game and uncovered some really interesting stuff. Hidden colossi, a parachute...it's really amazing.

20. Zack

Zack Somniac Staff Member Moderator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

Nomad is mentioned a lot in that article, actually.

Sapientia likes this.
Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!