[Slight Spoilers] FFXV Character Models

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
The Kingsglaive promotional booklet has a piece of the Niflheim empire which mentions Ardyn. It says he joined the ranks of the army thirty years before... But he only looks around forty! And the fact that Gentiana looks no different from her appearance between the game and the anime, the latter of which showed Luna when she was probably only in her early teens.
The reason it's so strange has to do with the rapid aging of the King. I changed a lot when I was growing up through my teens, now that I'm 25 I haven't really changed how I looked over the course of the past few years.

Cor is 42 years old, and yet looks exactly like how he does when he was younger when Noctis was little and Regis didn't look old. The reason it seems like they aren't aging is because the gap in time isn't really as large as you would think.

Noctis was 8 in Platinum Demo, which would mean that it's been only 12 years since he was that young. When you consider in the anime Noctis was older than 8 as he had recovered by then and looks a few years older, you're looking at at least only 8-10 years difference. Not really that much to change your appearance, especially if you've already matured like Gentiana and Cor have.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I adore that older Noctis and it pains me that he's not the main design. And it really fits the game and it's not a "generic rugged dude" like some people have said: he's still a pretty boy, just more mature. And to be honest, although I get where people are coming from, I actually see him as a believable evolution of what Noctis would look 10 or so years from them while suffering the effects of magic ring's fuckery.

Gentiana looks a little bit worse than in the 2013 CG render, but still great. Luna too, although I'll always prefer her (well, Stella's) design circa 2009. Ardyn is pretty cool and extravagant and the new King Regis design as really grown on me, as much as I still vastly prefer the previous one.

PS: I curse you, @Koozek, for using the avatar I was considering using! :shockedwarrior:

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2015
I adore that older Noctis and it pains me that he's not the main design. And it really fits the game and it's not a "generic rugged dude" like some people have said: he's still a pretty boy, just more mature. And to be honest, although I get where people are coming from, I actually see him as a believable evolution of what Noctis would look 10 or so years from them while suffering the effects of magic ring's fuckery.

Gentiana looks a little bit worse than in the 2013 CG render, but still great. Luna too, although I'll always prefer her (well, Stella's) design circa 2009. Ardyn is pretty cool and extravagant and the new King Regis design as really grown on me, as much as I still vastly prefer the previous one.

PS: I curse you, @Koozek, for using the avatar I was considering using! :shockedwarrior:
I have seen other people say they don't like Gentian's design as much as her 2013 design but I think it looks just as good.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I have seen other people say they don't like Gentian's design as much as her 2013 design but I think it looks just as good.
It's the same actually, her hair is just swooping down differently. If you zoom in on her face you can see it's pretty much just the same model. The images are small though, so it's hard to tell.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, the design is the same, although there MIGHT be some tweak here and there (the hair, I guess). But again, this a CG model, and they tend to change a lot depending on the camera position, the facial expression, the pose... For example, I kinda dislike young Noctis' latest CG render (the one in the OP), but really like the one they released back in 2013 (and used up until now) and they're still the same design.

Aug 13, 2016
Young Noctis design and team Nomura here. Combat hyper masculinity. *puts on flame shield*
I also root for ethnically/gender identity and sexuality diverse characters in games so I share sentiment with all concerns raised in regards to Noctis' new renders.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I'm convinced it's because there are pics with similar poses and some people can't, like, get past that part.
It's weird because, their poses are barely similar to begin with. I'm not even sure why people would even say it looks like Lightning at all to be honest, but I guess some people are just stupid.

I really love these, but I hope we get high resolution versions soon like the character renders for FFXIII. Actually have anyone found high quality versions yet?
They're hidden in a cave, probably.

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
I really love these, but I hope we get high resolution versions soon like the character renders for FFXIII. Actually have anyone found high quality versions yet?
All the UHQ images were from that little iOS app called FFXIII: Larger than Life. I doubt the same would happen. :<

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I guess the armour is KINDA similar to Lightning's in LR, but beyond the fact that they're both either designed by Nomura or made to fit his style (Ferrari), I don't really see much resemblance apart from little features not exclusive to Lightning.
She must be forgotten pls.

And yeah, they could release better quality ones. And other characters' too, like Ravus.

Also, again with Chapter 0 and the leaks!
Unless it's indeed the final battle/point of no return, I don't think it'll be a 10 years jump:

1. They barely look different, except for Noctis (ring magic fuckery): just changes in clothes, hairstyle/facial hair and, in Gladio and Ignis' case, scars.

2. They would have to redesign characters like Cidney and such (I mean, it's been a decade! Maybe poor Cid has even died of old age :dead:). So, unless this is the point of no return (very possible, actually), I just don't see it.

3. Would Noctis and co wait 10 years to strike back, while Insomnia (and the world?) is (potentially) fucked? Although this is a fragile one, as it could be easily justified through the plot and we know little beyond the premise and such.

So yeah, the more I think about, the more I believe the leakers were only fed the Gamescom coverage info and made their own (believable) bullshit. And considering we've barely seen footage beyond the first three chapters, I'm inclined to believe the timejump, should it exist and short as it might be, could happen earlier than expected, or so I hope!

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
They're hidden in a cave, probably.
Is it the cave from the Episode Duscae demo!? We have go get them (and Ramuh) now! *v*

All the UHQ images were from that little iOS app called FFXIII: Larger than Life. I doubt the same would happen. :<
Ah... even if it's not UHQ. I hope they release some with better resolutions when they release new screens in the future. :)

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Maybe they're not exactly the same but come on.
Aranea has been around since the Versus XIII days, so I've got a feeling she might have been designed by Nomura. And as his final years on Versus XIII/XV overlapped with his time designing Lightning and Snow's outfits for Lightning Returns, I wouldn't be in the least surprised if there was some overlap between Lightning and Aranea. And if Ferrari did some touching up to her design after the staff shift, maybe he was consciously or unconsciously influenced by Lightning's Savior garb. Wouldn't be the first time designs from different projects at different times have influenced one-another.

Nye

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 17, 2016
I guess the armour is KINDA similar to Lightning's in LR, but beyond the fact that they're both either designed by Nomura or made to fit his style (Ferrari), I don't really see much resemblance apart from little features not exclusive to Lightning.
She must be forgotten pls.

And yeah, they could release better quality ones. And other characters' too, like Ravus.

Also, again with Chapter 0 and the leaks!
Unless it's indeed the final battle/point of no return, I don't think it'll be a 10 years jump:

1. They barely look different, except for Noctis (ring magic fuckery): just changes in clothes, hairstyle/facial hair and, in Gladio and Ignis' case, scars.

2. They would have to redesign characters like Cidney and such (I mean, it's been a decade! Maybe poor Cid has even died of old age :dead:). So, unless this is the point of no return (very possible, actually), I just don't see it.

3. Would Noctis and co wait 10 years to strike back, while Insomnia (and the world?) is (potentially) fucked? Although this is a fragile one, as it could be easily justified through the plot and we know little beyond the premise and such.

So yeah, the more I think about, the more I believe the leakers were only fed the Gamescom coverage info and made their own (believable) bullshit. And considering we've barely seen footage beyond the first three chapters, I'm inclined to believe the timejump, should it exist and short as it might be, could happen earlier than expected, or so I hope!
1. They might not look drastically different like the case with Noctis but they do look like they've been through some serious shit, I am excited to see that.

2. I think Tabata did state before that the part where they go back to Insomnia is late in the game, so I do think it's the point of no return.

3. I think they would if they had a pretty good reason to, its kind of implied in some of the lyrics of Omnis Lacrima that the "Master" (which I assume is Noctis) is succumbed to endless sleep after being defeated. I think that would justify some sort of a time skip, maybe even one that lasts for 10 years.

I honestly don't know whether this will be at the beginning of the game or not, I am kinda confused since we have contradictory info regarding Old-Noctis. We see an older Noctis in Ch. 0 and in the Afrojack trailer where Tabata states that that would be near the end of the game, but then again we get another info telling us that we might get to play as older Noctis fairly early in the game. I am so confused lol.

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
She must be forgotten pls.[/spoiler]
Oh you~ :bawling:

By the way, I don't get why people are so concerned about Aranea looking like Lightning. As for me, I thought there's notable similarity but that's all. I feel like people really try hard to hate on anything that resembles Lightning, which is somewhat ridiculous. Like Tornak said, She must be forgotten (in your mind) and move on. :D

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
1. They might not look drastically different like the case with Noctis but they do look like they've been through some serious shit, I am excited to see that.

2. I think Tabata did state before that the part where they go back to Insomnia is late in the game, so I do think it's the point of no return.

3. I think they would if they had a pretty good reason to, its kind of implied in some of the lyrics of Omnis Lacrima that the "Master" (which I assume is Noctis) is succumbed to endless sleep after being defeated. I think that would justify some sort of a time skip, maybe even one that lasts for 10 years.

I honestly don't know whether this will be at the beginning of the game or not, I am kinda confused since we have contradictory info regarding Old-Noctis. We see an older Noctis in Ch. 0 and in the Afrojack trailer where Tabata states that that would be near the end of the game, but then again we get another info telling us that we might get to play as older Noctis fairly early in the game. I am so confused lol.
Mmmh, I've seen that it seems like the 10 years bit has been confirmed or at least talked about as such. I guess it says "10 years before" in the version where we jump from Chapter 0 to the CG intro with Regis instead of "before the Fall"?

Also, do you mean that German webpage that Koozek translated in the General News thread? I really want to be true, but tbh it seems more like speculation on the writer's end rather than something a dev/Tabata said.

And considering he said during E3 that the Afrojack trailer's ending was towards the end of the game... well :/

BTW, didn't GameInformer, during their coverage, say that they saw another map? Or another version of the map? Maybe we're getting another World of Ruin situation, what with the timejump and the whole Plague of the Stars!

But yeah, seeing them get to that point should be quite fun. They look pretty much fucked, especially poor Ignis.

Last edited: