[SPOILERS] KINGSGLAIVE: FINAL FANTASY XV - Discussion Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I find kinda strange that the Kingsglaives gets cloth burning from doing warp strikes.
I'm sort of thinking that it might to do with the fact that they're only borrowing the power, rather than naturally gifted with it. Maybe even with Regis' blessing, the power takes a tole.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I'm sort of thinking that it might to do with the fact that they're only borrowing the power, rather than naturally gifted with it. Maybe even with Regis' blessing, the power takes a tole.
On closer inspection it doesn´t seen to be cloth burning, more like just special effects layering in their clothes.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Just finished watching the movie and I quite enjoyed it. It's a movie for Final Fantasy (XV) fans though so I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else, they will miss a lot without the background knowledge about the game(s). For example hearing Somnus or the FF main theme were absolutely emotional to me, someone who doesn't have a history with the game like me just won't resonate with those scenes.

But there are also some things that I didn't like - especially Ravus. The whole character seems to have drastically changed from what he once was supposed to be. His motivations why he joined Nilflheim and why he hated Regis so much are just dumb. Also there was no sign of his coolness or his suggested power from earlier trailers at all. He was actually pretty annoying and I really didn't expect that. I hope he'll leave a much better impression in the final game. I was really looking forward to him becoming the main villain of the game but after watching the movie I don't know if that's really a good idea anymore - I absolutely prefer Ardyn atm.

Luna was also a little weird in the movie imo. Can't say yet if I'll like her or not, she had a good portion of screentime but didn't really do anything but talking how much she wants to protect Noctis.

I was also a little dissapointed by the end credit scene. Would've loved to see CG Noctis/Prompto/Ignis/Gladio. :/

This all probably sounds more negative than it actually should be 'cause overall it's a great prologue to XV and I'm definitely going to watch it again soon.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
The last few minutes of the movie was pure eyecandy madness!
I've watched it 3 times in a row and will examine frame by frame on my day off xD

Jul 16, 2015
I just watched the film and I enjoyed it very much. I was really impressed with Sean Bean, Aaron Paul, Lena Headey, Iedolas and Ardyns voice acting. The action completely blew me away and I think that it's clear that those giant statue things are the KOTR. Very interested in the ring magic now and what kind of cool powers it will let us use. Also I wonder if we will visit Galbhad in the game?. This film has me even more excited for the full game.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I'm still formulating my thoughts. I saw it first last night and ended up being sick this morning so I'm watching it again. I am definitely enjoying it more the second time around. I have to say, my overall impression was negative last night. Plenty I liked about it, and it's got me hyoed for the game, but as a movie fan, it's pretty terrible.

Ravus sucks. If his role is anything more than some weasel who keeps trying to act like the big bad but ends up being a red herring, I will be legitimately disappointed. His motivations are fucking stupid. General Glouca being Drautos was also pure ass nonsense. My biggest hope is that this movie is basically all the shit that was going to be in VS before a much better writer tool over the project. I'm sorry Nomura fans, but that's the only explanation here. That both characters basically cut and stuffed into this movie because they sucked.

That said, there was plenty to like. Ardyn was awesome. I am excited for him in the main game. Iedolas was also awesome. They're are some great bad guys.

Ugh- I just hit the Ravus ring scene again. Fuck that is one shitty character...

Anyway, the action was great. I didn't have a problem following it at the end. It looked intentional, to me, the cuts from the giants vs the normal sized people. They mirrored those fights a little on the nose for me, but it was still pretty cool.

Overall, if you're expecting Anime level writing and acting, this movie is pretty awesome despite the flaws. And as hype material for the game, it's great. I can't wait for the game. But, Ravus was so bad, it legit has me mildly concerned for the narrative. I hope it's just the movie framing it poorly.

Oct 19, 2013
Just finished watching the movie and I quite enjoyed it. It's a movie for Final Fantasy (XV) fans though so I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone else, they will miss a lot without the background knowledge about the game(s). For example hearing Somnus or the FF main theme were absolutely emotional to me, someone who doesn't have a history with the game like me just won't resonate with those scenes.

But there are also some things that I didn't like - especially Ravus. The whole character seems to have drastically changed from what he once was supposed to be. His motivations why he joined Nilflheim and why he hated Regis so much are just dumb. Also there was no sign of his coolness or his suggested power from earlier trailers at all. He was actually pretty annoying and I really didn't expect that. I hope he'll leave a much better impression in the final game. I was really looking forward to him becoming the main villain of the game but after watching the movie I don't know if that's really a good idea anymore - I absolutely prefer Ardyn atm.

Luna was also a little weird in the movie imo. Can't say yet if I'll like her or not, she had a good portion of screentime but didn't really do anything but talking how much she wants to protect Noctis.

I was also a little dissapointed by the end credit scene. Would've loved to see CG Noctis/Prompto/Ignis/Gladio. :/

This all probably sounds more negative than it actually should be 'cause overall it's a great prologue to XV and I'm definitely going to watch it again soon.
Pretty much my opinion too! Repost from GAF:

Just watched it. Yeah, that was fun. Wonky writing and voice acting at parts, and chaotic battle scenes, but not as terrible as GAF impressions made me expect (what a surprise). Watching the warping-around was super cool and the sound-effects were so satisfying.

The visuals and environments were stunningly beautiful. Many times you really wouldn't have been able to tell it from reality. Crazy how much work must have went into designing the beautiful city and its architecture - truly a marvel to behold. The clothes looked so good too, couldn't stop drooling (good material textures are my thing :D).

Luna was a bit, I don't know... uninteresting maybe. Nyx was cool as hell and Aaron Paul did a great job. In fact all three of the known VAs sounded fantastic. Sometimes the facial animations were off-sync and too overacted, yeah, but still highly impressive in general.

Not sure if the story is exciting enough or gives a satisfying closure for non-FFXV-fans, though. In the end it doesn't really stand on its own without the game following up. But I won't complain about a glorified intro FMV, of course :p

Nobody should expect a cinematic masterpiece and it's obviously not trying to be one. However, it's absolutely entertaining and a must-watch for FFXV fans.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Some thoughts:
- From the E3 2013 trailer it was implied that this scrapped/redesigned guy (some people think it was Clarus Amicitia, it was never officially confirmed though) had a major role in the game because he was part of the CG render montage.

He probably also had the role of the major traitor like Drautos in Kingsglaive and I'm curious if he was supposed to be General Glauca as well or if they decided to put those two character storys into one.

- Ravus gets his purple colored armor ( like we first saw in the E3 2013 trailer) after the events from Kingsglaive. I'm really curious how he will develop during the course of the game and if he manages to become a badass villain. I really hope his motivations and goals will become more interesting than his "mimimi Regis killed my mom....well not literally but he just walked away to save my sister while glauca killed my mom. I guess I'll join Glauca to destroy Regis from now on!!!11". I hope he becomes more of a Kuja-like villain if you know what I mean. -> Also my guess is that he's the devil-guy from chapter 0 'cause he looks a lot like him.

Btw. I don't read any of the game spoilers that are floating around so these are just my own random thoughts.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I have to reiterate again that I did enjoy myself, but I can't get past Ravus and Glouca right now.

Glouca should have just been a sentient suit of armor. It makes no fucking sense that Drautos was Glouca. How the hell can someone be the general of one active, conquering army, AND the leader of the goddamn King's guard of the opposing nation. It makes absolutely no goddamn sense, lol.

And Ravus... I'm so glad he has like 45 seconds of screen time, but I want to go find the guy that played him and punch him in the face.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
Nobody should expect a cinematic masterpiece and it's obviously not trying to be one. However, it's absolutely entertaining and a must-watch for FFXV fans.
Probably so, but it would have been better if they had in fact gone and tried to be more than just an entertaining action romp.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Ravus sucks. If his role is anything more than some weasel who keeps trying to act like the big bad but ends up being a red herring, I will be legitimately disappointed. His motivations are fucking stupid. General Glouca being Drautos was also pure ass nonsense. My biggest hope is that this movie is basically all the shit that was going to be in VS before a much better writer tool over the project. I'm sorry Nomura fans, but that's the only explanation here. That both characters basically cut and stuffed into this movie because they sucked.
*chuckles* No it's not. Deep inside you know what it really means.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
*chuckles* No it's not. Deep inside you know what it really means.
Implying that the whole thing sucks? Nah, there's plenty of good everywhere else. Ardyn was great. Iedolas was better than I expected. I'm digging all of the other characters, at least the ones in the game. It's just Ravus that sucks, really.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
I've watched a good bit of it. Nyx is cool and I think he got the short end of the stick, because I think he probably deserved his own game.

Luna.... is just not that interesting. Maybe once I finish the full movie and rewatch it I'll reconsider it, but... yeah, she's just boring right now.

EDIT: Also, wow, Crowe died before doing anything useful, yeah totally didn't see that coming. Way to go movie, you really are pushing the envelope there by stuffing one of the only major female characters in the fridge.

Last edited:

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
How the hell can someone be the general of one active, conquering army, AND the leader of the goddamn King's guard of the opposing nation. It makes absolutely no goddamn sense, lol.
I seem to remember real-life cases of high-ranking agents and army personnel being involved with both sides in wars, holding important positions on both sides of a conflict while working for only one side's agenda.

Glauca was probably planted, or volunteered, or was suborned as a double agent to turn the Kingsglaive, preying on the resentment they would feel when Regis conceded to the Empire's terms for peace. To be honest, we only see Glauca at a point prior when we don't know Drautos was part of the Kingsglaive or when Regis would know his location (opening flashback), or in situations where Drautos/Glauca was actively working from the inside for the Empire. To me, his dual role makes perfect sense and would be manageable.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Loved the party scene. Brilliant inclusion of Somnus and a nice little nod to Final Fantasy Vaporeware XIII.

I also like the hint of foreshadowing by Ardyn as he looks through the wine glass at Luna and Nyx.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Just watched it.

As a movie? Mostly mediocre/middling in terms of voice acting (a few good ones, but that's about it), sound mixing, editing (what's with the transitions?), directing (much of the action is relatively hard to follow) and some dialogue here and there. The pacing wasn't the best thing ever either. It's far from being as bad as many people are making this out to be, though. It's actually very enjoyable, even though I personally got kinda bored in some parts and thought it was a bit streeched out (despite being relatively short).

As a product for the game? Pretty nice, I'd say. I mean, most things that happen here we could have guessed: I'm talking about lore and the general plot. But that's not a bad thing, as it's a very good set up for the game. Funny thing though: the thing that made me most excited to play the game was the post-credits scene! I really liked how it tied directly into the beginning of the game.

In terms of visual design it is gorgeous. I would have said that I would have liked the main characters of the game to be closer to these ones, BUT after seeing Chapter 0 (and especially Noct), I won't, as they look great there, and it's actually very cool how the uniforms and some design things are tied. I still miss the more Yakuza-ish inspired Insomnia, but the whole palace scenes were beautiful, and so were the characters inside and their designs. I've really grown into Regis' new looks (while still sad about the previous one, which was flawless). Luna looked very weird in this movie sometimes. I liked the design of the main Kingsglaive for the most part as well (and the Palace guards make a return! I liked the kinda douchy and xenophobic character by the end, too).

Luna was pretty weak as a character: didn't do much, to be honest, so hopefully in the game that's different (and I think it'll be, as I like the very little we've seen of her dialogue with Levi). And Ravus... well, his motivations are pretty shitty. But the design is great; so, so good. And his general background and idea is also good and has potential, so hopefully he'll be better in the game. Ardyn was cool enough, although I prefer what we've seen of him in the game. Really liked his last comment (about how the whole destruction of Insomnia/DW was such a mess): he suddenly loses his snobbish tone and get as bleaker one. I also enjoyed how unhinged he was during the whole movie, not really giving a shit.

I'm mostly interested about Iedolas, though. I know he's most likely on borrowed time, looking to be the President Shinra/Queen Brahne of this game, but I hope they dwell on why he's such a fucking douche lol. Also, when did the war actually start? Before KG, I though that Lucis and the Empire were in some kind of cold war and not in a full-fledged one.

Ah, Tenebrae (the very little that's shown) is GORGEOUS. Really like its vibe, so hopefully the game captures it in its final build. And the "new" setting for the party scene is incredible, as well. I know it's beating a dead horse, but it still pains me quite a bit sometimes!

So yeah, the movie is very far from being a good one, but if you're interested in the world, you should like it alright, or at least appreciate the extra information/lore that you get from it. Can't fucking wait for the game :cactuar:

Last edited: