Square Enix Announces Gamescom 2014 Lineup

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
http://gematsu.com/2014/07/square-enix-announces-gamescom-2014-lineup

Kind of late and not terribly interesting, here's SE's lineup for next month's convention in Cologne, Germany:

Consoles and PC

• Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS4, PS3, PC) – Now Available
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix (PS3) – December 5
  • Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (PS4, XBO, PC) – December 9
  • Nosgoth (PC) – In Closed Beta
Handheld and Mobile

• Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (iOS, Android) – TBA
  • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (iOS, Android) – Available Now
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (3DS) – September 19
The most remarkable announcement here being the localization of DQ IV's smartphone incarnation for the West. Everything else is either currently available or previously announced.

Sep 26, 2013
If you expected Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 and are very upset about them not being at this event, be honest and raise your hand. We want to help you! (grabs his ACME mallet)

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I honestly didn't expect Final Fantasy XV to make an appearance at Gamescom. SE's track record shows they don't often make huge announcements at this event. If anything, we'll see something at TGS this year. If not, then we won't see anything more until Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix is out of the way. So 2015 if SE doesn't have any self-hosted special events planned.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
For some reason, I've forgotten all about FFXV. I guess maybe something could show up at TGS, but I'm actually leaning on nothing being shown at all this year now. No way was something gonna show at Gamescom, though.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
All we have left is to hope. The more I've thought about FF XV, the more I've cycled through stages of grief and doubt.

SE doesn't necessarily have a financial obligation to exploit XV - they already have XIV, which is something of an overnight, phantom cash cow. It's impossible to give them any kind of benefit of the doubt, nor place much faith in them as game developers. If their business model functions well (churning out cheap mobile games that never see beyond the rising sun - and milking their own MMORPG), what further responsibilities do they have?

I've continuously grown fonder of the concept that FF should have stopped being made after Sakaguchi left. In other words, after X. That isn't to say that, for example, FF XII should have never existed: it simply shouldn't have been called Final Fantasy. What we've seen in recent years are like descendants of Final Fantasy, in my view.

Of course, I expected absolutely nothing from Gamescom. If the next showing of FF XV features the same game we saw at E3 2013, then I'm giving up on it. What was Versus XIII and is now XV has never been appealing, and still isn't to this day. The command interface and style of gameplay are far too delinquent from what it could potentially be. They could be developing the grandest ARPG ever, but even I can't believe that it's happening anymore.

If Deus Ex: Universe and Triad Wars debut in some capacity, consider their Gamescom lineup saved.

Otherwise it's second verse, same as the first. No FFXV to no one's surprise. Not sure what there is to show for FFXIV at the moment; it's too early to get comprehensive glimpses at an expansion, so I imagine it's mainly about the next patch with ninjas, etc.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I've continuously grown fonder of the concept that FF should have stopped being made after Sakaguchi left. In other words, after X. That isn't to say that, for example, FF XII should have never existed: it simply shouldn't have been called Final Fantasy. What we've seen in recent years are like descendants of Final Fantasy, in my view.
I think this way as well. Personally, I've always thought the Final Fantasy name got in the way of what Final Fantasy XIII was trying to be. The rules and elements found in a typical Final Fantasy game did not work well with the type of game they were trying to create. I would argue the Final Fantasy name prevented them from creating a better overall experience. It held them back.