1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Square Enix plans to 'revitalizing existing IPs'.

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by Wazi the pa, Oct 22, 2015.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

Zero likes this.
  2. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

Chrono Trigger 2 or bust...

Bust. :(

Prince Naphtali likes this.
  3. Mediking

Mediking Balamb Garden Freshman

Pretty sure most of these games will be coming to PS4. Since I have a PS4 now... HYPE.

4. Zero

Zero Red Wings Commander UFFSite Veteran

I'd like to see a new action-rpg Parasite Eve for home-consoles.

Agreed! I loved Brace Fencer Musashi.

5. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

I would a new Musashi game.

6. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

You aren't getting Chrono Trigger 2. You need all these key developers like Hironobu Sakaguchi and Yuji Horii. And even then, Shinji Hashimoto said it wasn't selling well enough and when Sakaguchi proposed a sequel they said no. I also personally think a Chrono Trigger 2 would be a let down. Part of the magic the original had was all the top talent from Square and Enix working together, even putting FFVII and DQVII on hold. Good luck getting them all together now.

Musashi never sold that great if I'm not mistaken and the studio that made those games are making KH3 & 2.8. You'd need internal staff with a desire to make another of those games. But Tai Yasue is obviously too busy, not sure what Yoichi Yoshimoto is up to, last game I saw him on was the PSP port of FF3. Probably working on WoFF or KH3. But yeah, you'd need internal staff with a desire to make it and then an external studio to make it. Maybe PlatinumGames if they weren't so busy.

There's been plenty of rumours about a new Parasite Eve, with a lot saying Motomu Toriyama is directing it. Something Alex believed as well. However TGS and Paris Games Week have passed with no word. Hopefully we'll hear something at PSX or Jump Festa.

There's a new Front Mission in development produced by Toshifumi Nabeshima according to Siliconera. And they still stand by that article.

Crystal Dynamics is looking at making a new Legacy of Kain while Eidos Montreal has another title in development.

7. Squirrel Emperor

Can a man dream?

Nobody knows if a new Chrono game with a new team would actually be a great or bad thing. Those who think it would be bad tend to cling on tightly to the past a lot and are a bit selfish when they say that they would rather see the IP be left untouched.

My copy of Chrono Trigger is what it is. Chrono Trigger 2 won’t hurt the original in anyway, shape or form.

Also, no, you don’t need all the key guys. They all weren’t working on Chrono Cross so why should the same apply to Chrono Trigger 2? This is not a law written in stone. I’m not asking for a new Chrono Trigger game expecting it to surpass the original and have all the key guys involved. I'm just simply asking for a new Chrono Trigger game.

Sakaguchi’s proposal of a sequel happened a very long time ago under different management. So this is a bit obsolete. If Matsuda feels the same way is something someone should probably ask his opinion on. Part of me thinks he might have some form of interest judging by what he’s trying to achieve with Setsuna. That's just speculation on my part though.

As Nintendo has shown, it’s not always a bad idea to revisit old IPs (Kid Icarus, Punch-Out!!, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country, Metroid(quiet state right now) and are rumored to have interest in bringing back F-Zero). We don’t see these games often and every generation because of the risks involved in today’s market. However, as time goes by, interest and demand starts to rise for some IPs. Some old IP's might actually be very appropriate today.

A new and proper Metroid is in demand right now. Star Fox was in demand for a while until Star Fox Zero was announced. Donkey Kong Country was in demand (14 years between DKC3 and DKC:R) but now it isn’t because we just got two of them. F-Zero is now in demand.

People would love to see a new Chrono game. Many beg for it.

As for Chrono Trigger 2 being a possible let down… Well, you could say that any IP that doesn’t have the original guys involved. Hell, one could say the opposite too.

I’ve heard people say Super Mario 3D World wasn’t that mind-blowing and this is from the team who worked on Super Mario Galaxy. Same shit with Zelda too. Going from Ocarina of Time to Majora’s Mask to The Wind Waker to Twilight Princess to Skyward Sward has resulted in mixed feelings (I’ve personally enjoyed all of them). Metroid Prime was created by Retro Studios, a western developer, and was criticized for not being a 2D traditional Metroid game before release and ended up being one of the best games of all time.

You know what IP has been criticized for having key guys involved and not the original creator around?

Final Fantasy

It’s all subjective though...

AnGer-dono likes this.
  8. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

It so BS the mentality that you the key guys/creator to get something or to make something good.

9. Nora_Nightingale

Nora_Nightingale Balamb Garden Freshman

This is what they can do for me:

1) Bring Romancing Saga 1, 2, 3, as a single game and even the DS Saga games onto Android/iOS.

2)Remake Parasite Eve 1 and 2 and make 3rd Birthday non-canon.

3) Remake Chrono Trigger 1 in 3D and compile it with Chrono Cross.

4)Bring back Mana series. Make a collection. Mana series was always a series tht was hard for me personally to get into. The timeline and such wasn't clear.

10. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

They kinda already did that with the PS2 remake. They took ideas from all 3 games and put into the remake. The SaGa team is focused on SaGa Scarlet Grace.

Can't remake Parasite Eve without Tokita and he's too in love with mobile. And as of earlier this year he had zero involvement with any possible Parasite Eve project. They'd never make The 3rd Birthday non-canon. Lol.

And who'd be incharge of this Chrono Trigger remake? If it was Tokita it would be for mobile (Oh god that would be hilarious) and Kitase's too busy remaking VII.

The Mana series never went anywhere. They've been making Mana games for years. How is it hard to get into?
    FF Adventure
    Secret of Mana
    Mana 3 (Japan exclusive)
    Legend of Mana
    Sword of Mana
    Children of Mana
    Mana 4
    Heroes of Mana
    and then the recent games Circle of Mana, Rise of Mana and the 3D remake of Adventure. Pretty sure they all have stand alone stories.

11. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

“It has been a hot topic recently that a sequel for Chrono Trigger is not happening. Why not? There is also 20th anniversary coming!”

When asked about possible Chrono Trigger sequel, Kitase states that it’s quite a big hurdle. Toriyama adds that they would need to contact Horii (DQ producer) and Sakaguchi (ex-CEO) if they wanted to make it. To sum up, Yoshida says that it seems quite unlikely at the moment.

http://squareportal.net/2014/03/06/...rhythm-final-fantasy-xiv-chrono-trigger-more/

12. Jenova

Jenova ShinRa SOLDIER

This is wonderful. Some of the older IPs at Square-Enix had some real potential. Just they required some attention that wasn't being provided at the time. Glad to see that said series will be given their due at long last.

13. Nora_Nightingale

Nora_Nightingale Balamb Garden Freshman

not asking for AN HD remake, just a compilation of the originals. Plus ps2 remake wasn't hat great IMO. As for the DS games. I hope they bring it in anyway.
    that's not exactly a definite no either
    why wouldn't Tokita move to main console or handheld?
    the series to me is just too indinstinguishable. And there is a definite Timeline. This is where it trips me up the most. My personal favorite is FFAdventure for it's simplicity.

14. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

Good luck with that. PS2 remake is one of their very few PS2 Classics so they clearly like it. Would be up to Akitoshi Kawazu.

Tokita is incharge of one of their mobile divisions. All the guy tweets is mobile.

Outside of BD6, SE is pretty much done with 3DS and who knows how long the Vita will last.

The Mana games are easily accessible all things considered.

15. Squirrel Emperor

And again. Chrono Cross didn't have many of those key guys involved so you can't really sit here and tell me that it's some law written in stone that another Chrono game (Trigger 2, Cross 2, Break, etc...) can't be made.

If they want to, they can make another Chrono game without the original guys involved.

16. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

I support this, you can´t always rely on the same persons.

17. Squirrel Emperor

Nope. Some have moved on. Some are producers now. Gotta let the younger guys rise and shine as they're going to be the ones in charge someday.

18. PixelMunks

PixelMunks Stiltzkin's Apprentice

Well their latest Star Ocean game is a shell of its former self, but FF15 looks amazing so hopefully that will get the ball rolling.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.