Tetsuya Nomura's Rendition of Batman (Variant Play Arts)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Have you seen this?

This is Tetsuya Nomura's rendition of Batman which was on display at Comic Con.

Apparently it came from a canceled videogame project.

Siliconera: Square Enix has been working with DC Comics to create Play Arts Kai figures for quite some time. How did you get involved with creating this Variant Play Arts Kai Batman figure?

Nomura: Many years ago, I worked on a different project and the concept and idea was kind of already there. Unfortunately, that project didn’t pan out and it never saw the light of day. When the merchandise team started expanding into the DC Comics Variant figures, they approached me and said, “We remember you drew a sort of Batman design back then. Would you be able to share that with us?”

Siliconera: Was this project a game?

Nomura: Yeah, it was game-related. It didn’t even start development as a project, it was just a concept and ideas, not a full game. Since the project was canceled, I can’t talk much about it.

Siliconera: The Batman figure, especially its armor, reminds me of the Kingdom Hearts series and the armor Keyblade users wear [in Birth by Sleep].

Nomura: Actually, to be honest, the project that never got off the ground was done before Kingdom Hearts was conceived. It might be the opposite—the design from that early project influenced Kingdom Hearts and armor design in that series.

Sep 26, 2013
Personally I would have never of guessed this was Batman if somebody didn't say it was.

It's a cool design but it doesn't make me think of Batman.