The games you love playing on the Playstation 2

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

Wazi the pa

Samurai Legend
Site Staff
Oct 26, 2013
Share the games you have played on this glorious gaming system.
Ill show off a couple of games that I have played (but of course I have played more games than the ones I've listed) :

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Back when EA was a lovable company. But seriously, this game with it's Zelda like gameplay (at the time, I wasn't introduced to the Zelda franchise) and so much lore of the Harry Potter universe to discover. I have also played the other Harry Potter games on the PS2 AND the PS1 system as well.

Samurai Legend Musashi - A game so many people are not aware of it's existence. As you can tell (by one of my threads here in MC and my avatar image), I love this game so much with it's amazing music and the combat which makes me finishing the game time and time again. Hopefully I hope to see Square Enix returning to this IP and possibly rebooting it once more for the current generation of the gaming industry.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy - Literally a hidden gem for the PS2. Set within the ancient times of Egypt where Egypt's mythical beasts roam about the lands, you play as the warrior Sphinx where you are given a task to stop the evil that lurks within the lands.
The reason why this is a hidden gem is because of it's gameplay. Similar to Zelda's kind of gameplay, there are so many things for you to do whether in side-quests, mini-games or part of the story such as puzzle solving, combat-fighting, platforming and so on.

Final Fantasy XII - One of the main reasons I come back to hook up my PS2. You guys already know why I love this game so much (most likely the same reasons why you love it as well).

Ratchet & Clank: Up your arsenal - Such a beloved game by many, many fans. So beloved, it was remastered along with the first and second game for the PS3. Just to point out, I also love the Jak & Daxter games, as well as the Sly Cooper series. :D

Share the games you loved playing on this beastly system!

As a gamer, I wish money-making schemes like DLC's would not be a 'thing' anymore and games today would just be the full game itself.
Nothing more & nothing left. Make sequels & spinoffs instead of DLC's and such. It's a wish that sounds impossible, I know but I really want it to happen.

Wazi the pa

Samurai Legend
Site Staff
Oct 26, 2013
Wow, Wazi, I'm delightfully shocked to see you have Musashi up there. Did you also play Brave Fencer on PSX?
Indeed I did. I played Brave Fencer Musashi plenty of times over. The combat (back then) system is amazing. It's one of the few gems on the Playstation One.
When Samurai Legend came out, that became my new favorite in the franchise. From the visuals, to the beautiful music, the game is an absolute experience.

I really hope Square reboots the Musashi franchise......

Knight of Death
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - You know a game is ticking the right boxes when one of the best (and creepiest) characters from the original game, Lezard Valeth, plays a prominent role in this sequel installment chronologically set in the past. Lezard Valeth cares little about screwing up the time-space continuum, you see. The battle system is among one of the best I've seen in an RPG; in typical Tri-Ace style you can wander around the battlefield to get positional advantages, as well as the useful ability to splinter your party into groups so the leader monster can find a convenient scratching post while two of you pummel its rear. To top it off is a fantastic soundtrack from Sakuraba.

Final Fantasy X-2 - There's an assortment of features in this game that you can take legitimate umbrage with. The strange tonal shift from FFX is chief among them. Almost the entirety of Chapter 4 where you're essentially trying to be a crap Big Brother staring through Commspheres requires little introduction. Blitzball management simulator is perhaps something that should be forgotten. Okay, besides these problems, the game is a lot of fun, and one I would happily play through again. The battle system is fast and dynamic, the flexible job system is enjoyable to abuse, and I generally enjoy having the freedom to tackle missions at my own pace and whatever order I desire. I just wish in terms of assets, they offered something substantially more to make Spira feel less well-trodden than it should have been.

Final Fantasy XII - Could this game have done without a Licence Board? Perhaps. A fundamental rethink of the execution at the very least, as it's a little absurd to toil for Licence Points just to wear a hat, but on the surface, a stat development system that allows plenty of flexibility for what specialties a character can have, and the ability to create combinations like a white mage Ashe who can also hit hard was a good idea. The offline MMO aspect of the battle system never bothered me, nor did the Gambit system. The latter is no stranger to plenty of flak online, and it slightly mystifies me why this is so. You can tweak character AI to be as clever or as dumb as you wish. If you're absolutely insistent on not having the game play itself, tweak the Gambits so your party members just stand there twiddling thumbs while coeurls munch on their craniums. Also, cheers to a fantastic English translation and voice acting.

Shadow of the Colossus - I think this was the Journey of its generation, even though this is a much more powerful experience - and better game - than Journey. I'm probably saying this because the PS3/360 generation had no Team Ico release, and also because SOTC is one of those rare games that can deliver a memorable, emotional journey with exquisite minimalism and lack of any dialogue. It's just you wandering around a hauntingly beautiful, but desolate landscape, seeking out ten unique Colossi to slay. The main joy of the game was the challenge in discovering how each Colossus could be killed, and the sense of accomplishment in doing so. A quiet masterpiece.

Tony Hawk 4 - Anyone familiar with this old skateboarding franchise will know that any changes after 3 were superfluous at best, and stupid at worst, with Ride and its expensive faux-skateboard peripheral the most comical and egregious blunder imaginable. But the fourth game was the installment I sank most of my time into, and despite being genuinely awful at it, I would typically seek short-term enjoyment out of casually skating around one of the maps without a time limit to bother me.

Burnout 3: Takedown - The racing genre and I haven't exactly bonded as friends. Most of the time I give it the cold shoulder, because its predominant face, the racing sim, just looks like a boring exercise in pretty graphics compounded by the fact that I just suck at racing games. Thank goodness Burnout wasn't one of them. It was the Mario Kart for me, except with less blue shells and bananas, and more ballistic vehicular carnage at 220mph, and the carnage game mode challenging the player to inflict as much property damage as humanely possible with a single, speeding car.

Star Wars Battlefront II - For a shooter scrub like me, this was a challenging game to beat. I went back, persevered a little later, and I did it, while managing to even love the game in the process. It's aged in a number of departments sure, and the shooting aspect feels inorganically clunky compared to what we are used to today, but this was the definitive TPS of the day. I don't think there was a need to occasionally switch into the role of a Jedi, however. How many games star you as what is essentially film cannon fodder? Furthermore, there's space dogfighting.

Lego Star Wars 1 and 2 - The completionist in me erupted. I wanted to collect everything, despite the lack of any trophy system to immortalise my greatness. I wanted every character, every mini model, every unlockable feature. Success eluded me, but these were two of the most engrossing games I've played, particularly so when I had my sister operating the second controller and accidentally killing my character at regular intervals.

TimeSplitters 2 - One of the first FPS games I've played, and one of the fewer ones I absolutely enjoyed. Remember when split-screen multiplayer was a thing, especially four split-screen multiplayer? Ah, nostalgia trips. I've missed thee. Sure, online play never existed for this game, but you had the satisfaction of someone else in the room trying to take you down - it was that kind of friendly competitive atmosphere.

Spider-Man 2 - Crikey, a movie tie-in game that was actually good. Except for the pizza delivery minigame. That was unfiltered evil incarnate. Other than that, a perfectly good open-world game with the best web-slinging system there is of any Spider-Man game. Sorry to see what the latest Spider-Man games have become.

Ape Escape 3 - Here's a franchise that mysteriously never made it past the PS2 era. What happened to Ape Escape anyway? Are you telling me there is no longer a market for bright, colourful platformers starring anthropomorphic animals of some description? I liked Ape Escape 3, chiefly because I could actually play as a girl called Sayaka! So the otherwise male lead is subordinate, as Sayaka snaps up the chance to run around with an assortment of wacky gadgets to detect and capture the most nefarious of monkeys. Brilliant fun.

SeeD A-Class
Oct 28, 2013
The old SMT games. Still re-visit them from time to time for a guaranteed pleasurable experience.