1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

The great Final Fantasy XVI Staff Debate: Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Discussion' started by BrokenHeart, Apr 3, 2015.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

?

Who do you want to direct Final Fantasy XVI?

1. Yoshinori Kitase (FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII)

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. Hiroyuki Ito (FFVI, FFIX, FFXII, FFXII IZJS)

24 vote(s)
    77.4%
  3. Motomu Toriyama (FFX, FFX-2, FFXII RW, FFXIII, FFXIII-2, LR FFXIII)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hajime Tabata (BC FFVII, CC FFVII, FF Type-0, FFXV)

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

It would be interesting to know how he would wreck the 4th wall in a FF game.

2. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono ShinRa SOLDIER

From the list? Ito.

My personal wish would be either someone new who's also willing to go a bit against the wishes of the higher-ups at SE or - and this is as unrealistic as it can get - Yasumi Matsuno.

3. LeonBlade

LeonBlade Forest Owl Staff Member Moderator Site Staff

If Ito does work on XVI, hopefully he doesn't pull the shit he did with the Zodiac Job System for XII, his reasonings behind that were completely stupid and it made for a terribly flawed system.

4. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

What was the zodiac job system like? I never got a chance to play it out nor heard any details regarding it. I've only played the original.

5. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

It was FFXII but with the Job System incorporated and some more extra tweaks in gameplay.

6. LeonBlade

The job edition itself just adds jobs to the game, the implementation is the problem. With each character you need to chose a job for them to be. Unlike previous job systems implemented in Final Fantasy games, you could not change your character's job at all unless you wanted to restart the game from scratch.

Ito had this to say about it:
    This doesn't seem like a bad thing really when you look at it from this perspective. Creating a more challenging and engaging system that requires you to think about your actions, how is that bad? Well, the problem is that there are many jobs that become useless at higher levels like the Red Mage. I think the system would be fine if they would let you switch jobs at a great cost, but the fact that you cannot is a big problem.

The biggest problem though is that some characters are better at certain jobs than others. Ito said he wanted players to have to make a decision that they couldn't go back on, and all this means is that you have to hope that you pick well or you'll get fucked over. This just leads to players asking which jobs are best for which characters, you see discussion for it online from when it was more topical to talk about. It's nice that people can discuss these sorts of things, but what it comes down to at the end of the day is numbers. Who is more effective at what job, and maybe a little bit of freedom in certain areas.

Ultimately, while the Job System isn't game breaking, I really don't see it as a positive change. I've seen players argue that being limited makes for a better experience because you can't just steamroll everything with a character that has everything. However, I would argue that a self imposed limitation of your characters would work just the same.

One final thing to add, you can chose not to set a job, but you just won't be able to learn anything. Personally, I think in the HD version they should allow you to chose to put your characters in a Job if you wish but have the freedom of the original system by not selecting a job as well in some shape or form.

Azuardo likes this.
  7. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

Alex's idea for the HD remaster is that they have both versions available.

LeonBlade likes this.
  8. Azuardo

Azuardo Materia Hunter Staff Member Moderator

Damn, didn't know it had severe implications behind it. Mixed thoughts on the HD version now... Option for both systems might be the best idea.

9. Wazi the pa

Sounds like a pain in the ass. Hopefully the HD remaster will give us the option for either systems to use like what FFX HD did with the normal & expert sphere grid....

10. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

The Sphere Grid options were in the original PAL & International versions though...

11. Wazi the pa

Yeah, that's what I thought but maybe if they go for the kind of switch that they did for the music in FFX HD..... Except the switch won't be on demand during the playthrough, it'll be decided when starting new game, I imagine.

Stuffing the players with a 'flawed' gameplay feature is.... Not what I want.

12. LeonBlade

Yeah, I would hope they would do that because it would make the HD version of the game THE definitive version allowing everyone to be happy. The other changes in the International version are fantastic.

Take what I say with a grain of salt of course, I think it's always best to try out a system before forming an opinion, but I think it's safe to say that the job system doesn't really add anything to the game that makes it more enjoyable that you couldn't already do with a self imposed challenge of sorts.

13. Nova_Somnus

Nova_Somnus Balamb Garden Freshman

Is this even up for debate? Hiroyuki Ito by a wide fucking margin! I'm glad the poll results reflect this. Honestly, no other FF director still at Square Enix comes close.
    • Yoshinori Kitase no longer directs, and even if he were to return to to directing now, he's been so tainted by Toriyama's style of directing (he produced all Toriyama's AAA games), that his game would be no different from anything Toriyama were to put out. The man has completely fallen off. How can you go from directing FF7 to producing FF13? How? Just... How? Kitase is a has been.
    • Motomu Toriyama is Motomu Toriyama. Nothing more needs to be said.
    • Naoki Yoshida is stuck on FF14 for at least a decade, and even then, he's competent at directing MMOs only.
    • Hajime Tabata is average at best. The man is struggling to get FF15 off the ground with all the features Nomura promised (controllable airship, all party members playable, cutscenes by FF12 cutscene director, etc), and he is heavily relying on fan feedback to shape the game. Might I add that Type-0 HD is one of the worst designed and poorly written JRPGs I've ever played? Tabata is a lackluster director.
    • New talent? No. I'd rather have an employee that has a stellar track record with the FF series that goes as far back as the NES days. Somebody that worked under Sakaguchi's authority as an apprentice when he was still directing FF games (FF1 - FF5).
    It's really Hiroyuki Ito or bust at this point. However, I highly doubt Square Enix management are completely retarded and are wasting his talent by having him do nothing. They likely have him working on something really big behind closed doors. It really will be a monumental occasion for FF fans to finally find out what he's been working on all these years.
    Please be FF16.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  14. Sora96

Sora96 Sphere Hunter

So much hate, so much anger.

LeonBlade likes this.
  15. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Your´re understimating them a lot:
    1. Why producing Toriyama´s game dismisses what he´s archived as a director in other games ? What FFXIII turn out in the end is mostly a product of Toriyama´s direction and not Kitase´s.
    2. While Motomu Toriyama is not exactly the best thing from SE, i don´t think that he´s incompeten neither that he can´t do good things.
    3. While i can agree that he maybe stuck on FF14 for a long time, saying that he´s only competen at directing MMO is a big disservice to him, yes he´s worked on those type of games so far but the fact that he manage to rebuild a game from scratch (that was considered a regresive failure in the genre) and turn it into a big sucess, priced by the community and making SE from losing money to gaining, speaks volumes about his competency at directing a game, his feat is by far beyond what any person acomplished in Square´s history imo.
    4. The only thing that Tabata is struggling with is implementing playable party member (the rest he´s doing fine), struggling would actually be he not being able to get FF15 on shape, which i clearly see not happening right now. Despite Type-0 not being the best design game he balances it with Crisis Core.
    5. Lastly track records are misleading and don´t set on stone the quality of a product, is like saying because George Lucas did a good job as a director/writer in A New Hope the same should have happened with Phantom Menace. Both Ito and Kitase never directed a game before their debut in FF6 but still manage to do things right as well as when they alone directed their own games, Kitase(7,8) and Ito(9,12).

16. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

I'm having a déjà vu.

17. Nova_Somnus

The fact that have a nobody writing the script for FF15 tells me that Square Enix don't see the game as their saviour. I already assumed as much when they put Tabata on it as director and made the staff mainly comprise of the Type-0 team. Square Enix must have FF16 already in dev with a staff list that comprises way more talented staff than those working on FF15.

At this point, I just want FF15 to release ASAP so mainline FF can move on from the entire Fabula Nova Crystallis clusterfucking shitfest. It's very comforting to know Ito hasn't worked on any FF since FF12, as that means he's not tainted by Foula Shiter Crapalis series. The fact he's also not on FF14 means he won't be tied to a MMO for a decade, either. The man is free, so must be helming FF16 at this point.

18. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

When Sakaguchi wrote the script of FF1 back in 1987 he was a nobody, but it didn't it prevent the game from archiving sucess and being considerred a quality game
    FFXV team also has KH staff as part of the dev team.

19. Nova_Somnus

FF was a new IP back then and video game writing was so primitive in scope that a hack writer could win a GOTY award for screenplay for a script that was only four A4 pages in length. The industry is completely different now. The scripts are much more detailed. The writers for big, AAA titles should be the best the game industry can provide, or the best from other mediums (film, book, theatre). Not some nobody that wrote the complete shitfest of Dissidia 012 and nothing else. Seriously, does anybody even have any hope for this game's story now? It has "This will be shitter than FF13" written all over it.

Also, KH staff? Kingdom Hearts has the most convoluted, nonsensical, and outright garbage writing ever seen in RPG gaming. If it wasn't for the Disney characters to attract the masses, the IP would not have lasted this long. Far better Square Enix IPs with better writing than any KH game have all never reached the same success due to the strength of the Disney brand making KH sell. Games such as The Last Remnant, Drakengard series (including Nier), and Valkyrie Profile series, are all better written than any KH.

20. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

Why the writing in Dissidia 012 dismiss her possibility of pulling out a great writing? (she still has Nojima's already written script, its not like she is writing a new one from scratch).
    Track records are misleading, for example:
    Despite having George Lucas as director/writer the Phantom Menace didn't archive the same quality that A New Hope did (which happens to have him in both roles too)

Of the games you named only The Last Remnant is a SE IP, the other are IPs from other developers that SE simply published

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!