The truth about FFXVersus XIII

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Re: Umbra

Someone on facebook posted a concept art of a certain character and asked to Ferarri "is this Umbra human form", Ferrari then replied "where did you get that?", people then took that as him confirming it was Umbra human form. I think @Koozek posted that in one of the many threads in GAF.
Oh really?

I don’t frequent gaf so I must’ve missed that.

All I know is I saw a picture of a guy who looks like Saix, some people saying that was Umbra, something about human form, and ninjas too.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Re: Umbra

Someone on facebook posted a concept art of a certain character and asked to Ferarri "is this Umbra human form", Ferrari then replied "where did you get that?", people then took that as him confirming it was Umbra human form. I think @Koozek posted that in one of the many threads in GAF.
he actually said it:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/12/artist-roberto-ferrari-speaks-designs-final-fantasy-xv/

"There were characters that I liked more but got removed from the story: they were closer to ninjas and very similar to those who appear in Kingsglaive but more Japanese. […] This stays between us, but Umbra the dog was supposed to turn into one of those."

another one of his comments:
"there were so many stories basted that even if i told you my version, albeit different, it would only be one of many"

and that makes everything harder when it comes to leaks.

Last edited:

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
he actually said it:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/12/artist-roberto-ferrari-speaks-designs-final-fantasy-xv/

"There were characters that I liked more but got removed from the story: they were closer to ninjas and very similar to those who appear in Kingsglaive but more Japanese. […] This stays between us, but Umbra the dog was supposed to turn into one of those."

i asked in his facebook something at that time, if cindy and iris were characters created for Versus or not, he said they were done for Versus; i may try to ask about Ravus name in the future...
I wonder, how much in the know was Roberto?

If other interviews are anything to go by, technically Versus remained name only from 2008. Only the name remained stuck in a limbo between it's shift to a numbered game, with the decision to change to FFXV being made sometime in 2010-2011. So development at that time was already working towards XV, though technically the Versus name was already in a shroud since 2008.

When did Roberto join the team?

His perspective could be skewed and formed from second hand info, if in the case he wasn't kept in the closed loop.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
I wonder, how much in the know was Roberto?

If other interviews are anything to go by, technically Versus remained name only from 2008. Only the name remained stuck in a limbo between it's shift to a numbered game, with the decision to change to FFXV being made sometime in 2010-2011. So development at that time was already working towards XV, though technically the Versus name was already in a shroud since 2008.

When did Roberto join the team?

His perspective could be skewed and formed from second hand info, if in the case he wasn't kept in the closed loop.
Hey said he joined SE in May 2010 after a female character designer quit because she wasn't able to get approval on her designs for the game. I have a feeling that female character designer that quit is Nao Ikeda who SE left after when FF13 released which was December 2009, and who was a character designer on that too. Ferrari was working on both Type-0 and Versus when he joined SE in May 2010, as he designed a large part of the cast for both.

He also said he only designed Ardyn in December 2010, but Nomura didn't approve the design because it was too plain, so he added some more details to his design and came back 2 weeks later with it which Nomura then approved, and that's been his final design ever since.

People like Wan Hazmer and Prasert "Sun" Prasertvithyakarn also joined SE in 2010, Hazmer joining in July 2010, and they were part of the Versus team too, Wan Hazmer was also part of Type-0 also.

There was also a Job listing for a Battle Planner for Versus XIII posted back in 2010 when SE was still hiring for the game.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/10/job-listing-causes-further-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-speculation/

Last edited:

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
Hey said he joined SE in May 2010 after a female character designer quit because she wasn't able to get approval on her designs for the game. I have a feeling that female character designer that quit is Nao Ikeda who SE left after when FF13 released which was December 2009, and who was a character designer on that too. Ferrari was working on both Type-0 and Versus when he joined SE in May 2010, as he designed a large part of the cast for both.

He also said he only designed Ardyn in December 2010, but Nomura didn't approve the design because it was too plain, so he added some more details to his design and came back 2 weeks later with it which Nomura then approved, and that's been his final design ever since.

People like Wan Hazmer and Prasert "Sun" Prasertvithyakarn also joined SE in 2010, Hazmer joining in July 2010, and they were part of the Versus team too, Wan Hazmer was also part of Type-0 also.

There was also a Job listing for a Battle Planner for Versus XIII posted back in 2010 when SE was still hiring for the game.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/10/job-listing-causes-further-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-speculation/
So it is possible that the people that join during that period weren't notified of title change that was happening. Because, regarding the interview again, the name change was decided in 2011 (probably with management talks before that), with the reveal happening 2 years later. So if Roberto worked during that period and wasn't in the know, he wouldn't have had known of the changes and continued to work under the assumption the project was still Versus XIII. I say that because there were like, barely any leaks at that time, if any. I don't think anyone knew XV was even a thing when it was announced. So they may have kept the whole thing tight-lipped, keeping the circle very small to prevent leaks. This was also a time when SE wasn't exactly open-information as they are now. And Roberto, if I assume correctly, is just a character designer? Well even if he did some 3D work, it wouldn't make a difference for management to keep him out of the loop.

Which goes back to the leaker here. Like how he was able to get all of this closely-knit information, first hand at that. He would have had to be there, in the know, yet he doesn't seem to even understand or speak Japanese? Roberto lived in Japan since 1998, so it's pretty safe to assume that he has the ability to speak the language. But how would a person with no such ability be able to mingle up there?

Oh and the leaker has yet to send me a PM. Which to me is suspect.

Sep 27, 2013
I definitely agree with the OP that we should be respectful of both visions but I think we shouldn't look into the details of Versus too much.

Its concerned details, I don't think anyone knows. I'm sure there were various reasons for the things turning out the way they turned out. Games change, features change, things you plan don't always work out. It's commonplace in video game development but usually we don't see that. Persona 5 was also quite different in the beginning, better or not, you can't really mind it when you don't know it. In the case of FFXIII/Agito XIII and Versus XIII we just got an inside look, and Versus seems to have changed the most. When someone says they want Versus back, I ask them "which Versus? The 2006 one? The 2009 one? The 2011 one? The 2013 one?

I've heard things about Versus several years back but only on a surface level, some things align with the OP but despite the source having given me correct information before, I'm always skeptical of such info because it happens in an online context and well, yeah, "the medium is the message". (A term coined by Marshall McLuhan and very relevant to Versus in my opinion.) I know that the CG trailers for Versus are not representative of the game, and sometimes put too much focus on certain things or characters that wouldn't end up being that important to the final game. [but then again "important" is very open to interpretation] I've also had details shared with me that made me perceive Versus in a different and maybe troubled light, but I'm scared to talk about it because I haven't seen any rumors, leaks or speculation address it specifically, but the gist of it was that Versus was a really big initiative, spanning multiple projects and pretty much written as they went along, very much like Kingdom Hearts.

I honestly like both Versus and XV but I think it's difficult and wrong to point fingers and give concrete and logical answers to certain questions. Some people want to unravel it, or like Versus because it "has" one specific feature, disregarding how game development works. "There is nothing either good or bad, only thinking makes it so" is a quote that applies to both the game and its development. Maybe we as fans shouldn't cling to trailers too much, and be very open about what a game is, until Square drops an exact release date at the end of a trailer. A bit of healthy advice with game trailers for Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XVI surely on the horizon, no matter how hyped they might get you.

Alekzan

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 7, 2017
@15thCrystal Well, first of all, no one personally attacking OP himself. People like Shuya, me and others who share the same skepticism about this read, openly saying it.
The second thing is the way how OP presented himself and his information. It was way dramatic and theatrical. Even those who like OP read, support or want to believe, cant deny how it was handled.
And the third one, why a lot people are so much skeptical, in some way aggressive, because of some guys, lets call them "Seekers of Versus Truth", going everywhere screaming about Truth and Spoiled Nomura's Legacy.
That's it. A lot of troubles, hate, skepticism thanks to simple people, which lead us to simple conclusion - human ass nature is a reason of all this.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
I definitely agree with the OP that we should be respectful of both visions but I think we shouldn't look into the details of Versus too much.

Its concerned details, I don't think anyone knows. I'm sure there were various reasons for the things turning out the way they turned out. Games change, features change, things you plan don't always work out. It's commonplace in video game development but usually we don't see that. Persona 5 was also quite different in the beginning, better or not, you can't really mind it when you don't know it. In the case of FFXIII/Agito XIII and Versus XIII we just got an inside look, and Versus seems to have changed the most. When someone says they want Versus back, I ask them "which Versus? The 2006 one? The 2009 one? The 2011 one? The 2013 one?

I've heard things about Versus several years back but only on a surface level, some things align with the OP but despite the source having given me correct information before, I'm always skeptical of such info because it happens in an online context and well, yeah, "the medium is the message". (A term coined by Marshall McLuhan and very relevant to Versus in my opinion.) I know that the CG trailers for Versus are not representative of the game, and sometimes put too much focus on certain things or characters that wouldn't end up being that important to the final game. [but then again "important" is very open to interpretation] I've also had details shared with me that made me perceive Versus in a different and maybe troubled light, but I'm scared to talk about it because I haven't seen any rumors, leaks or speculation address it specifically, but the gist of it was that Versus was a really big initiative, spanning multiple projects and pretty much written as they went along, very much like Kingdom Hearts.

I honestly like both Versus and XV but I think it's difficult and wrong to point fingers and give concrete and logical answers to certain questions. Some people want to unravel it, or like Versus because it "has" one specific feature, disregarding how game development works. "There is nothing either good or bad, only thinking makes it so" is a quote that applies to both the game and its development. Maybe we as fans shouldn't cling to trailers too much, and be very open about what a game is, until Square drops an exact release date at the end of a trailer. A bit of healthy advice with game trailers for Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XVI surely on the horizon, no matter how hyped they might get you.
>I ask them "which Versus? The 2006 one? The 2009 one? The 2011 one? The 2013 one?

Luckily the Versus XIII of 2006-2013 seem to have a consistent tone/vision so most of those people would be open to either one, as long as it contains everything they were excited for which FFXV 2013 did, and just be a great game.

If the VII Remake changes even though I don't know how at least we have the original story

FFXVI God knows when that will come out

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Luckily the Versus XIII of 2006-2013 seem to have a consistent tone
There is no "2013 Versus XIII", Versus stopped existing in 2012, in 2013 XV Stella was changed to Noctis's childhood friend and Nomura said he didn't like the Stella he created in 2007, in Versus Stella just met Noctis for the first time at the party when they were already adults. None of the CG or designs pre 2010 match up with what is shown in 2011 either as the entire visual style changed and all the designs on the characters changed.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
@Takeshi Sendo

Congrats you've been featured in the latest FF Peasant video lol.

I imagine an influx of new users will be coming because of that.

Your leak was the main content piece in his video he was talking about.

Last edited:

Takeshi Sendo

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 18, 2018
Thats the last message Im going to write about it.

First of all, forgive my English.

When I was thinking about doing that I knew about the consequences, of course even with a mod aproval I well aware of people that wont believe that.
I had all this information since the end of 2016 and originally I just wanted to keep it for myself, but then lots of leaks started to appear and I felt powerless because of the things I know but even that I was trying to keep it.
The more I read about leakers, interviews (the last one from GI make me sick) about versus xiii, regards to the story, being an unifinished concept when the reality is there always was a solid story, etc and when I read some things in the data mine I thought it was time to do that.
* I had no idea about a ninja village, I dont have every single thing I wish. When I read that I was so excited but at the same time dissapointed because sometimes I think its not good to know all the things that could have been there in that case. I wish I knew everything but all you see in the OP is all Ive got.

Its normal the lack of confidence and I dont blame people like that, its the normal reaction and I would be in their place even more deffensive. I can understand people not believing anything, and they have the freedom to do that. What I simply dont understand is when you are even questioning about the mod and why I got verified, when you go to that place is when I get "angry" (?) because if you are doing that then no matter what I show you that you wont believe anything. You dont give a shit about, even wondering that instead of accepting even if you choose not believe it.

Other thing that I do not know how to feel about it is basing my credibility in the OP (even if you choose believing more) on my post-messages, same for people that judge my credibility based on my shitty English, when I read that I thought it was atime joke or something but now I know that its real! I mean, because of my messages, you have in your mind an idea of how does an "insider" has to behave in order to be more real for you? Then If I behave in not a milimetrical way you have in your mind to considere me real then Im fake? The "insider" for you have to stop talking, or just talk in a perfect/correct way you idealized for me to be legit? Basing that kind of things on my credibility says nothing good about people like you.

About the video, of course the last thing I want to do in this world is watching it, dont like that at all. I mean not about him, I appreciate his interest and the hard work that has to be making it but its a pressure for me, I wont see this video because of that but you dont need to understand that.

The power of the internet is amazing btw, people talking for yourself and even have the confidence (for that you have the confidence you dont in other things...) to tell about what you like or dont when they dont even know you. Fucking amazing.
If I have to tell you what I really want...a hint, is nothing related to things/banalities like that, but that would be other topic.

Yes, my dream is to be in a video on internet as a no one from a guy that I will never meet in my life. Thats all I want from this life.

Last edited:

Alekzan

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 7, 2017
@Takeshi Sendo What is funny thing. You're answering only on unnecessary messages like my own, but when someone asking more specific theme about, you just disappearing\keep silent. Interesting thing, dont you think.

@Jack Orion It's not mean at all. Even far from it.

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
Thats the last message Im going to write about it.

First of all, forgive my English.

When I was thinking about doing that I knew about the consequences, of course even with a mod aproval I well aware of people that wont believe that.
I had all this information since the end of 2016 and originally I just wanted to keep it for myself, but then lots of leaks started to appear and I felt powerless because of the things I know but even that I was trying to keep it.
The more I read about leakers, interviews (the last one from GI make me sick) about versus xiii, regards to the story, being an unifinished concept when the reality is there always was a solid story, etc and when I read some things in the data mine I thought it was time to do that.
* I had no idea about a ninja village, I dont have every single thing I wish. When I read that I was so excited but at the same time dissapointed because sometimes I think its not good to know all the things that could have been there in that case. I wish I knew everything but all you see in the OP is all Ive got.

Its normal the lack of confidence and I dont blame people like that, its the normal reaction and I would be in their place even more deffensive. I can understand people not believing anything, and they have the freedom to do that. What I simply dont understand is when you are even questioning about the mod and why I got verified, when you go to that place is when I get "angry" (?) because if you are doing that then no matter what I show you that you wont believe anything. You dont give a shit about, even wondering that instead of accepting even if you choose not believe it.

Other thing that I do not know how to feel about it is basing my credibility in the OP (even if you choose believing more) on my post-messages, same for people that judge my credibility based on my shitty English, when I read that I thought it was atime joke or something but now I know that its real! I mean, because of my messages, you have in your mind an idea of how does an "insider" has to behave in order to be more real for you? Then If I behave in not a milimetrical way you have in your mind to considere me real then Im fake? The "insider" for you have to stop talking, or just talk in a perfect/correct way you idealized for me to be legit? Basing that kind of things on my credibility says nothing good about people like you.

About the video, of course the last thing I want to do in this world is watching it, dont like that at all. I mean not about him, I appreciate his interest and the hard work that has to be making it but its a pressure for me, I wont see this video because of that but you dont need to understand that.

The power of the internet is amazing btw, people talking for yourself and even have the confidence (for that you have the confidence you dont in other things...) to tell about what you like or dont when they dont even know you. Fucking amazing.
If I have to tell you what I really want...a hint, is nothing related to things/banalities like that, but that would be other topic.

Yes, my dream is to be in a video on internet as a no one from a guy that I will never meet in my life. Thats all I want from this life.
Actually, you have me more skeptical now. You say you had all this at the end of 2016... which is when the game released. But you say that what you know is ''first hand information'', but SE probably would have been hush-hush about anything over this topic AND this happened years earlier. So it can't be ''first hand''. First hand would mean that you had to be at 9/11 site to live to tell the tale. You can't say that after you learn about it 3 years later. Which means that is second hand information...

Like I can continue this game of logical deduction, but you won't even reply. So pffft, I'll give this a 3/10 for now.