1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Thoughts on the XIII games

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy Discussion' started by Storm2356, Oct 5, 2013.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Leon Aether

Leon Aether PSICOM Soldier

As for the abilites, I will go with Light's Army of One, Fang's Highwind and Hope's Last Resort because it reminds me of Holy and it's visuals are really awesome!

Sapientia likes this.
  2. Azuardo

Azuardo Materia Hunter Staff Member Moderator

It's strange. I don't even dislike the games. I have negatives about just about every game I enjoy - we all do. But hey, some people will always take negative opinions as personal attacks, even though they really should be mature enough to know they aren't.

I don't really remember the full ATB attacks, except for Army of One and perhaps Highwind.

What I do remember doing is using Sazh's summon and continuously spamming his Blitz moves to smash the living crap out of those adamantoise enemies when I was farming. It felt like 30 hours when getting the Plat was actually spent farming! Quite literally just so you could create weapons and accessories that would then never be used and to get that Treasure trophy. Now, that, I didn't agree with lol.

Leon Aether likes this.
  3. Zack

Zack Somniac Staff Member Moderator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

To me, if you care enough about FFXIII you should be willing to put up with the negativity and be willing to handle the constructive criticism on the board. If other people attack the characters you like, ignore them, because you love them. I'm willing to fight for the games that I love and not feel discouraged about what other people think. There are plenty of games that I love that get blasted all the time, like Dynasty Warriors and Hyperdimension Neptunia. It's sort of part and parcel with this genre. =]

Anyway, I am about an hour from the end and my problem right now is that I am probably really underleveled. Going into the final areas (I think I'm right before some tower or something?), what level were your characters at?

Sapientia likes this.
  4. Azuardo

Tower...tower... Taejin's Tower? Or are you past all that?

I think I was underlevelled when I got to the final boss my first time around. Though I can't remember the levels I was. Might have ended up grinding a bit in the Steppe (there's a couple of enemies you can spam fight over and over for lots of CP - a behemoth and tiger-like beast duking it out near the cave entrance).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. Zack

Pretty sure that's the one. It's been a number of months since I played so I'm only going off of memory. I was having to escape a lot to avoid some of the more serious battles, but I'll need to grind before heading on it appears.

6. Azuardo

Right, you've still got a few areas yet to do, but you're not too far off now.

7. Chevalier

Chevalier Yevonite

I think the major problem with discussions like these is that it often goes into opinion territory.

"VI is the best"
    "NO! VII is the best one 5eva"
    "omfg, XIII characters have no personality"

Lots of hyperbole. Lots of subjective (even within the 'objectiveness') Often times, people make statements with no discernible basis, and it really makes it not worth reading. I'm not saying that's the case in this particular thread (though I spotted a bit of it lolsorryguys), but it really often ends up turning into something devoid of intelligence.

It'll be nice for a change to have a forum where things don't go the same way.

I've liked XIII so far. Some things I disliked and others I didn't. It's not a perfect game. But it was entertaining.

All that said, every Final Fantasy has had people complaining about some aspect of it. XIII is just the new one on the chopping block. Specially so because Square hasn't released a new mainline game in years. It's like all the poison has found it's target in the XIII series.

I could be wrong, but the Fal'cie didn't really care about human life, so they just made lots of L'cie with unclear Focus just to weed out the weak. If the person failed, then they just moved to the next group.

Some just gave them impossible Focus for some reason only to have them die (they destroyed life on Pulse because of this)

No kidding, the XIII threads there....just a mess.

This is exactly what I was thinking when that scene happened. I'm so glad someone actually drew this lololol.

Sapientia likes this.
  8. Storm2356

Storm2356 PSICOM Soldier

Yeah, I never even finished XIII. I got stuck at the first Barthandelus fight, got really annoyed because I was too stubborn to backtrack, traded it it, and then watched the rest on the internet. And I call myself a fan... Still, I intend to pick it up again if I ever have money so that I can go farm before the boss and then do it right.

9. gaiages

gaiages :< Moderator Site Staff

Well, um, I'm just gonna put my thoughts on the first game here... (haven't played the second yet)

XIII is one of those games I really enjoyed, but would never play again. The initial ride was enjoyable enough, but playing through it again wouldn't really yield any more enjoyment out of me. I enjoyed the battle system for what it is, and didn't mind how linear it was (and I thought the sudden open-ness of Gran Pulse was a bit overwhelming), but I did not enjoy half of the characters, and I thought the general plot got a little murky after a while.

10. Leon Aether

Oerba (the next area) and Chapter 12 will definitely help you stand on your feet regarding leveling up by farming. You won't have much trouble though with the last boss, he is not that difficult, but the last tower of the final boss... That's touph, even for an over-leveled team...

Sapientia likes this.
  11. Zack

The way the story explains it is that the fal'Cie are these highly advanced beings where humans can only interpret their thoughts through the hazy images. When the Focus is supposed to be the very will of the entire race of fal'Cie and they're extremely desperate to have these Focuses carried out., it makes absolutely no sense that they would risk having a 50/50 chance that this wish would be carried out.

Thanks for the advice on FFXIII, guys. I'll have to work on leveling after I'm done with some other games on my list.

12. Wayne Brody

Wayne Brody Stiltzkin's Apprentice

I have to say that I enjoyed the 13 games, but they have obvious glaring flaws, but I was able to overlook them but many can't and didn't , no one can really say the series is mostly loved or hated, I think it is the definition of polarizing.

I liked 13 more than I liked 13-2. 13-2 "fixed" some issues from 13 but the difficulty was way too easy to truly enjoy the battle system.

Now with LR, I see a lot of potential with the gameplay, from everything I've read, if its done right there's a chance that it could be my favorite battle system in the franchise (and I'm say this with a clear mind). The story so far doesn't seem that bad( then again I never thought the previous stories were bad either, just the execution of it), I actually think I'd like it better than 13-2. But I can only tell in 4 months time

13. Franllant

Franllant Stiltzkin's Apprentice

I love the FFXIII saga. I've played all the final fantasy series, and I think this is the most beautiful, and well made saga ( especially the story behind it). Yes, I do think ffXIII was very linear, but I don't think they could have done it other way, if they wanted to have 3 games only, and also not surpassing the budget. They had to tell a lot in the first game in order to unfold the main story later. It is a huge world, with a very complex story (mythology) behind it. This was the first FF that made me wonder about the world, its mythology and its past. I also love the characters, they felt more human to me than any other FF character. I saw them growing, questioning their believes and focus, I saw the uniqueness of their personalities, the reason behind it, and the reason of their change. I just think they should have added more hours, sidequests, and text, for people to really understand the complexity of the story behind the game ( and not just add it to the FFXIII books)

Chevalier, Sapientia and Leon Aether like this.
  14. Leon Aether

Probably one of the best comments I've read for FFXIII... Very well balanced. I can't agree more!

15. Mark

Mark Balamb Garden Freshman

XIII failed to meet my expectations, and I wasn't even all that hyped. A lot of people are saying it's a good game, but a bad FF. It's not even a good game, in my opinion. Actually, I'd hesitate to even call it a game. It's more like a poor movie.

There's lots of things wrong with XIII and, I hate to be your Average Joe, but the gameplay was the main problem. It wasn't even so much that it was linear, but that it was corridor. There excuse that they were trying to tell a story, or that western fans don't understand it is bull, you can tell a story and still have areas that aren't corridors. The only areas in the game that were somewhat interesting were Oerba and the Crystalized place. They were both fairly linear, yet they were intresting enough to even make me stop and take in the atmosphere in Oerba. Those are both examples of linear areas that are interesting but don't have to be a corridor. The areas in the game should have been like that for 90% of the areas you were in. I didn't even like Gran Pulse. It was just one giant boring green plain, although the giant enemies were cool. The sidequests were mind-numbingly repetitive, too.

Other aspects of the gameplay were also poorly done. The crystarium allowed absolutely no customization what so ever. You just hold down A and watch the fancy colours. And it does the worst thing a leveling up system could do - limit your character growth, basically limiting you to what the games wants you to do. And then when I thought the crystarium was getting better when it made it so that all roles were open to all characters, I realized that it made no difference, I'm just needlessly putting points into wasted space, there was no need to have several people with the same role. One sentinel was enough to defend all of your characters, with two healers. That was it. I suppose if you wanted to very quickly and unecessarily apply all the buffs/debuffs, it would come in handy. The crystarium rarely ever branched off, and when it did, it was like for two HP buffs or something, it's not a hard decision, most people just got eveything. It's not like in other games where you have to choose between two power-ups or anything. There should just be an "apply all" button so I don't have to sit there holding down the button.

Don't get me started on the Weapon upgrade system. I think it's universally accepted as the worst thing ever, though, right?

My next major problem with the game is the characters. Snow, hands down, is by far the worst character in the history of anything, and manages to add another 20% to the XIII hate meter. He's annoyingly cocky, I can't take him seriously, he's just annoying and should go away. I hate to...hate something for a rather circular reason, but Hope is whiny. Why should I care that his mother died? She, and Hope, had no development whatsoever. The incident that made him all whiny happened at the start of the game and his whinyness lasted near the whole of the game. Fang and Sazh were the only bearable characters. I didn't mind Vannile, at least she had plot relevence and some intresting backstory.

The battle system. I would actually like to praise the battle system for the "Paradigm Shift" feature, which was actually pretty intresting. I enjoyed trying out different combinations of paradigms. However, this was the only thing the battles had going for them. It was just auto-battle after that. A lot of XIII fans say, oh, you could just, like, not use auto-battle. Well, it's there for a reason and that reason is to cover up the fact that going into your abilities is absolutely pointless now because the abilities have been half-chosen for you. If you're in Sabetour then there's no point in manually going into abilities because you're only going to get sabetour abilities and the structure of the battles is flawed and allows you to cast multiple magics at once, meaning that there is absolutlely no viable reason to manually go into abilities and select a specific one. Truthfully, there are a few smalls things like casting Haste first so that the rest of the magics are cast quicker, but all in all, very little depth. And also, blitz is the most retarded move ever. If I manually go into abilities (I tried this method because fans kept harping on about it) and select Blitz, by the time the bar's went up the enemies moved, because eveything jumping about in this weird flashy pseudo battle thing. And if it's going to be pseudo-action, at least make an ability to dodge/block/move your character out of the way of obvious attacks.

The story has a nice setting, history, and character background, but the majority of the scenes is senseless. Literelly 90% is just wondering where they should go, with poor attempts at making the characters have intresting conversations. How about instead of pointless conversations, the writers actually explain some of the important lore, backstory, and properly explain stuff like the mythology, the Falcie, etc?

All in all, the game was very streamlined with little control. The graphics and cinematography were undeniably perfect though. Music was decent. Just decent. :)

Azuardo and Kagari like this.
  16. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Finally I get to reply! (Using the mobile version with slow wifi is a pain in the ass) -_-
    Anyways, trying to remember what the original convo was...
    Okay. I think like I said, I wasn't talking about this forum. More like trying to see Omegaflare's POV (I have no idea if it's just me, but the posts are gone, so I have no reference) and trying to understand his/her frustrations.
    It's been a bit of a ditzy weekend, sorry for the bare response. :D

17. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

I think that another reason to not use Auto-battle is for me...
    1) You can often shorten/cancel your attacks, which makes for faster attacks. Say, an enemy has only a tiny sliver of HP left. Well for some, they may not care if they shave off a bit of time, but for me, I'm always aiming for five stars, so I would shorten/cancel out any extra inputs with Y/triangle. IMO, it makes for much smarter and efficient battles.
    2) for whatever reason, the game will stack up the "-strike" and regular Ravager attacks, like so~
    Thunder+Sparkstrike+Thunder+Sparkstrike+Thunder, yada yada.
    That wastes a lot of time for the animations to switch, especially for Lightning, who usually does her little step-back animation. It's much faster to manually select your attacks and choose either or instead of wasting several seconds. Again, maybe others don't care, but that's another reason not to use Auto-battle.
    3) Sort of related to #1, you can sometimes use the cancel attack button to "dodge" attacks from enemies. For example, I always use Lightning as my leader, so if a Gorgonospid (don't care if that's spelled wrong) starts to rush forward as Lightning is running forward to execute her second Attack, I can cancel that out, and she'll usually backflip, and oftentimes out of harm's way. It's just a nifty trick that most people don't ever bother to learn how to do.
    4) It's just boring to use Auto-battle. Reminds me of simply selecting enemies in FFI and sitting there, waiting for my "turn" to go. Boring, IMO.
    5) There's also the option to automatically start battles with the cursor on "Abilities." That will save time.
    6) It doesn't always stack up the perfect set of attacks, like I mentioned in #2. Depending on my set-up of Paradigms, I might want to do something that deals a higher area damage than focusing on one enemy. And you'll never get to use the ATB skill attacks like Army of One if you use Auto-battle. :p

I really like the Paradigm system in XIII. Honestly, XIII-2 was so easy that I DID use Auto-battle all the time. And it could get boring, I'll be the first to admit that. But for XIII, I definitely think the Paradigm system was awesome. I directed my other party members to do what I wanted to in different scenarios on the battlefield without micro-managing every single action (minor gripe I have with FFXII). Oh, and sorry for the long post. >.>

Leon Aether likes this.
  18. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

What's wrong with the weapon upgrade system? I thought it was the simplest thing ever. My only issue was figuring it out the first time. I didn't know the difference between components and catalysts and all that.

Leon Aether likes this.
  19. Leon Aether

I too never (not even once) used Auto-Battle in XIII. It's not only boring, it makes you use even wrong abilities. When staggering an enemy that has weakness against fire for example, sometimes pressing Auto-Battle, the game will apply "Aero" in your actions, so basically wasting an actuall attack.
    You are right about all the above, and about XIII-2 that was so damn easy that pressing Auto-Battle just made things easier.

Well, you should not expect that every player should think about this kind of things. Besides, it's obvious that the above commentor really hates whatever is related to XIII, and of course it's his opinion, and for him is the right one (I try to not trigger another conflict here)...

What I did not understand though is this...
    @Mark
    As far as I can recall, he stopped whinning around much earlier, and to be exact, in the early stages of the game, in Palumpolum. Which is some days after his mother's death. It's still too quick, but also I was glad that this story ended up quickly enouph as that led him show his potential.

and @Mark explain please this too if you please...
    Ok I may sound a bit subjective here and pardon me for that, but seriously? XIII saga OST so far is one of the best of the series. Unless you find this OST decent compared to other games but FFs... In this case I would still disagree but I would also take in consideration other things too before I would state a fair opinion.

Sapientia likes this.
  20. Sapientia

Sapientia ShinRa SOLDIER

Yeah, I never thought Hope "whined." He does pretty well for a fourteen year older boy who just lost his mother. I would probably be breathing fire at anyone who came near me, let alone actually becoming good friends with the man who *let go* of my mother's hand. And you're right, he stops "whining" in the Palumpolum chapter when he comes to terms with Snow. From then on, he's quite the inspiration to the rest of them. His development arc with Lightning, I think, is just amazing. Not in a romantic way, but the way Lightning opens up and takes him under her wing like a brother is just fascinating.

Leon Aether likes this.
Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!