Ton of New FFXV Details via Famitsu: Massive World To Explore Thanks To PS4/Xbox One Power, Combat S

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Do you all think the story will not be that dark now? Thats my concern. I was looking forward to the dark story.
No because the only thing that seems to have changed is the gameplay.

Tabata pretty much said its the narrative that stays and the whole road trip/brotherhood/simple story of getting back the crystal thing has been there since 2007. Nomura also said he doesn't want people thinking its too dark by the trailers at one point.

EDIT: That is just my opinion though and given how much the battle system changed, who knows >_>

Last edited:

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
No because the only thing that seems to have changed is the gameplay.

Tabata pretty much said its the narrative that stays and the whole road trip/brotherhood/simple story of getting back the crystal thing has been there since 2007. Nomura also said he doesn't want people thinking its too dark by the trailers at one point.

EDIT: That is just my opinion though and given how much the battle system changed, who knows >_>
Ah good to hear. In different interviews the way some of the different people at square say things seems like they contradict eachother? This a common thing for the company?

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Ah good to hear. In different interviews the way some of the different people at square say things seems like they contradict eachother? This a common thing for the company?
I stress what I said is just an educated guess since the info is the same as all the way back then. :p

I know what you're talking about, lol. I'm not sure if it is... it happened during XIII too.

Do you all think the story will not be that dark now? Thats my concern. I was looking forward to the dark story.
Ehh, "dark" is a very nebulous term, and often I don't even know what that means. Nor do any of us know what they had in mind for Versus to begin with.

I've seen nothing in this week's trailers to weaken or support the idea that the game's story will maintain its supposed darker edge relative to other Final Fantasy games. It's pretty much impossible to gauge a good idea of the overall tone of a story based on a short trailer where the boys are on the road. They could well be building up these comradely bonds only to sever them in a tragic way later for all we know. Which they probably won't, because that would defy a central theme of the game, but they might. Or more likely, just build up and sever bonds between Noctis and other key NPCs.

@Mistwalker has a good point though. As a side game, Versus could have been virtually what Nomura wanted. The team would have had the greater luxury of creative flexibility that perhaps a mainline title may not, especially one that is currently so paramount. So yeah, there is always that possibility of the business side of SE sticking its nose in and reining in the creative team. Best keep this in mind that the FFXV we have now is simply not Versus.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Ehh, "dark" is a very nebulous term, and often I don't even know what that means. Nor do any of us know what they had in mind for Versus to begin with.

I've seen nothing in this week's trailers to weaken or support the idea that the game's story will maintain its supposed darker edge relative to other Final Fantasy games. It's pretty much impossible to gauge a good idea of the overall tone of a story based on a short trailer where the boys are on the road. They could well be building up these comradely bonds only to sever them in a tragic way later for all we know. Which they probably won't, because that would defy a central theme of the game, but they might. Or more likely, just build up and sever bonds between Noctis and other key NPCs.
To support this and for what it's worth, Tabata has been pretty honest and blunt about whats changed and whats not. Story doesn't seem to be the one that changed.

To move away from speculation of story and the doom and gloom of the combat system details for a moment, I'm quite excited about the world design aspect, even if the game's about to knock on the door of WRPG territory.

+ Camping; this is reminding me of both The Witcher (only presumably without a crafting feature) and older Final Fantasy games. I'd kill to see Noctis and company suddenly hole up next to a picturesque river with a giant Moogle-themed tent as Ignis and Prompto attempt to work the George Foreman grill. Intriguing, original idea to have camping be necessity for next day performance as well, and I don't believe that's a feature in an RPG I'm familiar with - at least not one I have played.

+ It's open-world, but not quite open-world; that's the sort of design I've been expecting. No one realistically expected Skyrim, but in terms of zones, and interconnectedness, it will still be expansive enough to allow manned car travel, reflecting a natural evolution of the world design FFXII began with. It's a perfectly good Goldilocks zone between openness and structure ripe for narrative progression. Of course, FFXV's middle would have to avoid meandering and spinning its heels like FFXII's.

+ Seamless connection; if this is actually the case (it would have to be, otherwise it would be jarring to have to see your car disappear through a line of glowing blue circles to get into a new zone every time), and I don't know how technically possible this is, or what the game's actual scope is, but this is the thing that has me excited the most. FFXIV: ARR would have been excellent, had the game not thrusted us into ubiquitous loading screen transitions here and there - where getting into Minfilia's Solar is bad enough.

+ Weather; and its effects on elemental spells. I'm not sure how I feel about your fire spells being extra deadly on arid days that you can start a friendly fire barbecue without the need of the George Foreman though. Hopefully that warrants extra tactical thinking during the supposedly rather automated combat. But setting Ignis on fire sounds almost meta.

+ So it's a continent? Sounds sensible enough. Realistic game world size speaking, no one was expecting an entire world - especially if they're still sequel baiting - but I wonder how this affects airship usage. If we can still use airships, which I don't recall seeing any mention of?

tl;dr - world design sounds good. Sounds like my ideal sort of RPG, and it's something to remain excited about, while combat is giving us all consternation.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Pretty much, everything apart from the battle system and the ambiguous character switching sound really good. That's why these two things hurt so much :/

I particulary like the openess and the camping thing. I loved the few times you had camping scenes in FF IX (basically after the forest escape); it was really comfy, and that CG pic with the barbecue screams the same thing, too. I just hope that the feature of having sleepy characters if you don't rest isn't very repetitive.

Ah, and in the Gematsu article, it seems like towns are finally confirmed to be places you can visit (the demo will focus on battle). I know it was already said, but given how many liberties they're taking even with granted things, who knows.

Last edited:

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Yeah, the world design sounds fantastic. It's basically a larger, seamless FFXII and that should be the proper next step for FF worlds. The fact that Tabata states that if you walk instead of taking a car, it could take a long, long time makes me excited for the exploration.

I'm glad we'll be able to visit towns in the demo, I hope they have the time to implement Chocobos, too!

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Yes, everything so far reminds me of classic Final Fantasy games but brought to the modern era of technology. It makes me think that if they had this technology back then... this is what they would do with it. So I really hope that we can see character switching and the battle system being good.

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
I agree with he whole 'open world' part. I think it's exciting, just what the franchise needs.
maybe its gonna be the same as XII was? so thats not new thing.But yes i like the open world idea too.So im the only one who concern about more the plot changes or theme change than battle system?

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
maybe its gonna be the same as XII was? so thats not new thing.But yes i like the open world idea too.So im the only one who concern about more the plot changes or theme change than battle system?
People are concerned, but more so with the battle system... for obvious reasons.

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
"Tabata's personal vision for the game is the design incorporating the themes of "friendship" and "the journey" into every aspect of it."

So this game will be light themed? not dark themed like versus 13 was originally planned? i still not understand.
No it's edgy and grey but with some levity to break up the tragedy. It's about down to earth heroes struggling in a world of violence. The "dark" theme never went away. Friendship exists beside it and so does the relationship between father and son, Noctis and Regis. These are all points Nomura enforced. Taba apperantly says that vision is still intack

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
That's the thing: they change the battle system (something most have been excited about for 8 years) to make it more FF-like. If they really are going to make us only stick to Noctis, that defeats the purpose of this being retooled as a more suitable title to the series, it's just stupid that they give a seemingly small party (with similar abilites) and they force you to only control one character.

That's why I want to believe that he was just describing the demo (in which only Noctis is controlled) and not the entire game. That shit had been promised and shown from the beginning, and I feel like they simply don't care about the people that have been excited and passionate about the game for so long.

I have enough with not having a KH-like battle system and instead this (whether it turns out to be better or worse, I don't care. This stinks of executive meddling so bad).
When I used google translastion it was hard to make uot what he was saying in the context of Noctis being only playable. Those who reported on it have different statements. Some say if he is in the party you can only use him, so take him out and everone else is usable. Then others bluntly say only Noc is playable. If it's true and only he can be used then it would be like Nier