Triad Wars

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I'm sure they hinted it was some sort of online thing previously, didn't they? In what capacity, though, we didn't know. Although, I think most expected a console release, too, whatever it was.

There was always something fishy with this game that didn't quite scream that it was actually any sort of Sleeping Dogs sequel or successor. It's a damn shame, though. SD is such a great game, and I hope it gets more attention with the re-release, but I really was hoping TW would be that successor, despite having a feeling it wouldn't.

Ah well. I'll just watch the trailer and look at the pretty pictures when they show them, and wonder what could have been. And then hope a proper 'Dogs 2' of sorts eventually, maybe, gets made one day.

I've only fear for Just Cause 3 and Deus Ex now. We expected this, indeed, but the blow right now is harsh regardless.

I just don't understand the western arm of Square-Enix these days. Every time they do something now, the reaction elicited isn't of excitement, but of "who asked for this?". Deus Ex: The Fall. Who asked for this? What Thief was trying to do before loud backlash changed its XP system. Who asked for this? Legacy of Kain's universe brought back only as an online battle arena sort of game. Who asked for this? Rise of the Tomb Raider as a timed Xbox exclusive. Who asked for this?

What's just as concerning is the industry's new trend of making online-only games as services. Square-Enix is particularly egregious in this instance because of their intention to transform previously good offline primarily single-player experiences into "persistent online experiences". It's just alienating. Screw this trend in every single one of its orifices.

What happened? Almost all of a sudden, Square-Enix Japan look like the ascended saviours.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Rise of the Tomb Raider as a timed Xbox exclusive. Who asked for this?
I can answer to this one.
Microsoft.
What's just as concerning is the industry's new trend of making online-only games as services. Square-Enix is particularly egregious in this instance because of their intention to transform previously good offline primarily single-player experiences into "persistent online experiences". It's just alienating. Screw this trend in every single one of its orifices.
I also dislike this trend, but I guess there must be some easy money in the online market.

Dat thirst for GTA Online money.

(And if they truly wanted GTA Online money, they'd at least understand that Rockstar included the mode WITH the huge offline single-player campaign of vanilla GTA V, not simply make a Sleeping Dogs Online thing on its own and pass that off as a genuine followup.)

Did Sleeping Dogs just not turn a profit? Or more likely, did it "fail" by Square-Enix's ridiculous lofty expectations that to any other reasonable publisher, it would have been a decent success?

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
lol I couldn't help but be reminded of Shenmue Online. Wonder if this will have a similar fate?

You are right: who asked for this? I sure as hell didn't.