1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Virtual Reality Gaming 2016: Necessity or Gimmick?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Wazi the pa, Mar 16, 2016.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

With the PlayStation VR, Oculus Rift and other VR devices coming this year, I thought it'd be interesting to hear what you guys have to say about this particular side of video game tech and what its future will be.

For me, I'm on the 50-50 end; I can see it end up being a short term exciting feature to play & fool around and then just casting it aside in the long term. Think of Nintendo Wii's focus on motion control gameplay.
    However, I can also see it ending up as a key component for greater immersion and interactivity in video games, having it constantly evolve with each new VR title.

But like with game consoles, it's nothing without good games and that's what will continue the VR's sales in the market.
    There's one particular VR title I was impressed with, Ubisoft's newly announced Werewolves Within:

What do you guys think of Virtual Reality in this day and age of Video Gaming? Here to stay or cast aside?

2. dissasterrific

dissasterrific fal'Cie Goddess Staff Member Administrator Site Staff

I think that due to limits imposed on the tech where it still only impacts two of our senses, as you mentioned it can only be exciting for a short period of time for the player. In order for it to be fully realized, we need games for it that center around immersing you more with its story, to have a more personal and thus stronger connection within the game's universe. I think if we bring more of that genre to VR we will only start to see its real potential. Something like writing a story specifically structured to use the VR's own abilities.

3. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

I think what VR gaming will need is not "good" games per se but rather games that provides and experience that would only be possible with VR, something that could not be done in any other traditional platform (PC, console, mobiles, handles) and would justify their existence. As of now I don´t see anything that screams "this kind of experience is only possible in VR", they may give a slightly more immersive experience but aside from that, there´s nothing that can´t be replicated by the current platforms.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Wazi the pa and dissasterrific like this.
  4. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

They gotta convince people that it's worth keeping that device on and around their heads for many years to come. For gaming, it's not something I think will be sustainable and people will care about in the long term. Outside of gaming though I think is what will practically determine if VR ends up being a fad or not and is here to stay.

5. SilverGlyph

SilverGlyph Balamb Garden Freshman

Now that the technology for VR has started, it's not going away. If it does badly, it might disappear from the gaming community for a while, but by no means will it become obsolete. There's just too much potential here. Even with what VR today is lacking, these initial stepping stones can serve as a great glimpse into what the future will hold.

The important thing is not only making sure the technology works well enough (which I believe, for the most part, it does), it's also making sure that we have games suited for VR, that are best seen through a VR lense. We can't just smack VR capabilities on any old game; developers have to plan out games solely with VR in mind. The more they do this, the more VR as a game medium becomes fine-tuned, and the more developers and publishers can expand on that initial VR vision (like adding haptic feedback suits, for instance).

I don't believe VR is a gimmick. I feel like it will be a game changer.

6. DrBretto

DrBretto AVALANCHE Warrior

I think it's a gamechanger, it just won't look like it until 2020 or so. For now, it's just fun and a novelty. Right now, it's all about whether or not we can, and it'll be a little bit before someone figures out how to use it right.

7. Chocobocoholic

Chocobocoholic Yevonite

I'm looking forward to PlayStation VR. I haven't pre-ordered, so I'm unlikely to get one in 2016 - besides, I don't really want to be shelling out £390 right before Christmas. I'll wait it out for a few months, wait for reviews, see what games become available etc etc.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!