What a Final Fantasy Game in Amano's Style Could Look Like

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
I would have to say no thank you on a Final Fantasy where the art direction is up to Amano. While there's no refuting that his art is an integral part of Final Fantasy and irreplaceable, I don't think that it would translate well into a full console game no matter how impressive the technology becomes. His works are all borderline abstract, and to be frank while I find his designs impressive works of art I don't think they work well as concept work any longer. For all that Nomura catches flak for his "same-face syndrome" and flamboyant outfits, Amano perfected both long before him.

I really like what Final Fantasy has become since FFVII with the help of so many wonderful artists. It's a visual feel that is Final Fantasy's and Final Fantasy's alone, and in my opinion no one has successfully imitated it yet in gaming. I would like to see them stay the course and continue to develop this current feel rather than reverting to the older ways.

That said, I would love to see more of Amano's work incorporated into the games themselves, as in FFXV. He is an invaluable part of Final Fantasy's identity and his art is iconic. It's just not Final Fantasy without a dash of Amano.

Oct 4, 2013
I would have to say no thank you on a Final Fantasy where the art direction is up to Amano. While there's no refuting that his art is an integral part of Final Fantasy and irreplaceable, I don't think that it would translate well into a full console game no matter how impressive the technology becomes. His works are all borderline abstract, and to be frank while I find his designs impressive works of art I don't think they work well as concept work any longer. For all that Nomura catches flak for his "same-face syndrome" and flamboyant outfits, Amano perfected both long before him.

I really like what Final Fantasy has become since FFVII with the help of so many wonderful artists. It's a visual feel that is Final Fantasy's and Final Fantasy's alone, and in my opinion no one has successfully imitated it yet in gaming. I would like to see them stay the course and continue to develop this current feel rather than reverting to the older ways.

That said, I would love to see more of Amano's work incorporated into the games themselves, as in FFXV. He is an invaluable part of Final Fantasy's identity and his art is iconic. It's just not Final Fantasy without a dash of Amano.
Amano isn't an art director anyway. Square hire him for logos and illustrated artworks usually for promotions.

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
A Ps4 FF game with Amano as the art director with would be pretty gorgeous. I don't understand how SQEX would't at least play around with the possibility.
After he went freelance you'd think they'd try to keep a tight creative relationship with him given his influence over the series.

He went from lead artist for 6 FF's in a row to simply a guest artist. Which isn't all bad, but still a shame.

Denki

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Nov 11, 2013
Has anyone here bought Deva Zan? I was really close to purchasing it today and will definitely pick it up sometime (along with other books showcasing Amano's artwork).