What is Motomu Toriyama's main project? Vote!

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

• Co-Director for Final Fantasy VII Remake

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Final Fantasy X-3

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • New Front Mission

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • New Parasite Eve/The 3rd Birthday

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com

"I am currently working hard on the next project.
We will be able to announce it in 2015, so please look forward to that!" -
Motomu Toriyama via 4Gamer.net on December 27, 2014.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
December 27, 2014!?

Square Enix has announced so many games, I mean it's possible there's more to come, but we are 6 months in 2015. Are we sure it was not 'already announced' or if it even still exist? ^^;;

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
December 27, 2014!?

Square Enix has announced so many games, I mean it's possible there's more to come, but we are 6 months in 2015. Are we sure it was not 'already announced' or if it even still exist? ^^;;
If it's already announced it's the VII Remake. And there are more to come, there's likely a new Mana game for the 25th anniversary as well as Dragon Quest XI, another Dragon Quest game, and a new Front Mission game according to Siliconera.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I wonder what are the chances of a new Parasite Eve. The series is well known. The first game sold amazing, that even though PE2 under-perfomed you would think they would have at least did a PE3 to get it right with how successful the series was, but interestingly there was a a rumor of a remake PE:Rebirth for the PS2 that never happen. I also believe FF7 was rumored for a remake at that time, yet both never came to light.

Years later the series is revived with "The 3rd Birthday", which I know in Japan sound very well, for a PSP game as well. I just don't understand why Square isn't trying to push this series more. It's also a unique franchise from them.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
A quick note to make about Toriyama - regardless of people's feelings of him - he IS a very successful project manager. He's directed 6 releases in a span of 13 years, on a variety of platforms (handhelds and home consoles) and a variety of budgets (small, medium and large). His biggest stumble seems to have been in the delivery time of the large-budget FF13 project, and he effectively used assets from that game to quickly push out medium budget sequels. Of everything he's made, XIII-2 and X-2 are probably my favorites.

It's hard to predict at this point. I was so sure he'd be directing FF7R but if Nomura is already on the gig I'm not sure if they'd toss him in as a co-director or something else.

As for the others, I'd rule them out based on their liklihood.... yet Siliconera has reported on a new Front Mission, and Verendus has said there is both a FFX spin-off and a new Parasite Eve in the works (I pretty much take Verendus' hints as the truth at the moment).

Basically all 4 on your list are a possibility, and that's why I assumed you put it together with those 4 titles shown.

That said, it'd be a roll of the dice between a FFX game and Parasite Eve. I'll choose Parasite Eve (for now).

Sep 26, 2013
Maybe he went back to his event planner role for the FFVII remake?

Since Verendus seems to be spot on as of late, let's examine some things.

Here's that famous list of titles he first brought up a few weeks ago.

JRPG #1
JRPG #2
JRPG #3
JRPG #4
JRPG #5
New Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy spin-off RPG
New SE console RPG IP
Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
Square Enix crossover game
New Parasite Eve
Monster Hunter PS4
DMC5
New Capcom TPS IP (Because we need more TPS)
New EA IP
New Ubisoft IP
New Prince of Persia
New Naval RPG
New Cyberpunk Action/Adventure/RPG IP
New Sega Action/Adventure IP
New Marvel Action/Adventure title
New Soul Calibur
New Rockstar IP
And here's what he was talking about. (Bolded below)

Final Fantasy spin-off RPG (World of Final Fantasy)
New SE console RPG IP (Project Setsuna)
Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
Square Enix crossover game (Square Enix x PlatinumGames Neir)
New Parasite Eve

With E315 over, here's an updated list. He deleted the ones we don't have to worry about anymore since they've been announced.

JRPG #1
JRPG #2
JRPG #3
JRPG #4
JRPG #5
New Shadow Hearts
Final Fantasy X spin-off

FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
New Parasite Eve
Monster Hunter PS4
DMC5
New Prince of Persia
New Cyberpunk Action/Adventure/RPG IP
New Soul Calibur
New Rockstar IP
There are two titles that he is not sure about that are italicized. Which one's are they? (bolded cause mognet italicizes quotes)

He seems confident about a FFVII spin-off and a new Parasite Eve game. But FFX spin-off and FFVI remake are italicized.

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Maybe he went back to his event planner role for the FFVII remake?

Since Verendus seems to be spot on as of late, let's examine some things.

Here's that famous list of titles he first brought up a few weeks ago.

And here's what he was talking about. (Bolded below)

Final Fantasy spin-off RPG (World of Final Fantasy)
New SE console RPG IP (Project Setsuna)
Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
Square Enix crossover game (Square Enix x PlatinumGames Neir)
New Parasite Eve

With E315 over, here's an updated list. He deleted the ones we don't have to worry about anymore since they've been announced.

There are two titles that he is not sure about that are italicized. Which one's are they? (bolded cause mognet italicizes quotes)

He seems confident about a FFVII spin-off and a new Parasite Eve game. But FFX spin-off and FFVI remake are italicized.
If there's a FFX spin-off you can bet it's Toriyama's. And he's directed two projects at once in the past.

Sep 26, 2013
Right but times have changed. Projects have become more ambitious and SE wants to develop new talent.

I'm kinda curious what's up with the FFVII spin-off though. It's not deleted or italicized. He's suggesting there is another FFVII project in the works.

What comes to my mind is Crisis Core HD but maybe perhaps the FFVII remake project is a lot more ambitious then we think?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2013
I wonder what are the chances of a new Parasite Eve. The series is well known. The first game sold amazing, that even though PE2 under-perfomed you would think they would have at least did a PE3 to get it right with how successful the series was, but interestingly there was a a rumor of a remake PE:Rebirth for the PS2 that never happen. I also believe FF7 was rumored for a remake at that time, yet both never came to light.

Years later the series is revived with "The 3rd Birthday", which I know in Japan sound very well, for a PSP game as well. I just don't understand why Square isn't trying to push this series more. It's also a unique franchise from them.
According to Verendus a new Parasite Eve game will come:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166482193&postcount=11040

On the very same list is "New FFX spin-off". I think that could be Toriyama's new project. We'll see!

EDIT: LOL, beaten.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Right but times have changed. Projects have become more ambitious and SE wants to develop new talent.

I'm kinda curious what's up with the FFVII spin-off though. It's not deleted or italicized. He's suggesting there is another FFVII project in the works.

What comes to my mind is Crisis Core HD but maybe perhaps the FFVII remake project is a lot more ambitious then we think?
Tabata said he didn't want to remaster Crisis Core and would much rather remake it.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Less see, on that list.

"Final Fantasy X spin-off
FF7 spin-off
FF6 remake
New Parasite Eve
DMC5
New Soul Calibur"

Yea, so much goodness. In fact to much goodness. On top of all we learnt at this years E3, could so many good things be coming. *u*

Sep 26, 2013
I can believe that a new Parasite Eve is happening. That's probably something that was being thought of for several years now. They do have interest in bringing the next title to consoles.

Tabata said he didn't want to remaster Crisis Core and would much rather remake it.
Well... He doesn't have to remaster it. Some other studio can.