What Makes Final Fantasy VII So Special?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I think for a great many people it was simply their very first JRPG that really grabbed them, and it's as simple as that. It is a brilliant game, of course, but being first has a massive impact too.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I think for a great many people it was simply their very first JRPG that really grabbed them, and it's as simple as that. It is a brilliant game, of course, but being first has a massive impact too.
Pretty much this. FINAL FANTASY X was my first FF & PS2 game i ever played and is the most special game for me (though not the first one i bought, that was FFXII, i accidently saw a friend of mine playing it and i was curious to give it a try).

Sep 26, 2013
It's one of the first games of its kind that came out during a time when 3-D was revolutionizing the game industry. It's no different then Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. They were all very well made fresh experiences in a new era of gaming that left a pretty big impact on people.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I agree with everyone here, the fact that it was most people's first JRPG made a huge difference, for me it was FFVI, and it's really hard for me to have another Final Fantasy game challenging the status of that game in my heart. Not to mention the technology advancement. I remember myself saying "three discs?" when I was young, as well as the marketing campaign when it was coming to the West as being the system seller in Japan.

Obviously everyone has different tastes in games and their plot, but I do think FFVII had a very good plot. It was engaging overall and Aeris/Aerith death also was unexpected enough it made the game special for a lot of people. I think FFVII is one of the games you can say you don't like it, but you can't really honestly say it isn't a good game, generally speaking.

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
I agree. It was the first RPG in any sense that I ever played and from then on, it was a done deal. I was RPG hooked. :)