Why are you excited for FFXV?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
I honestly don't think JRPGs this past gen lowered the quality, in fact, they got better. The thing is that in the PS1/PS2 days the genre was pretty much the king when it came to consoles and most people with a machine played Final Fantasy and other japanese games. This last gen was one that brought the casual crowd that for better or worse, likes and buys a shit ton of cellphone apps and military shooters.

Seriously, a generation that saw things like Xenoblade, The Last Story, Ni no Kuni, Bravely Default, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia and yes, even Final Fantasy XIII (which I do like) is hardly a poor generation for JRPGs. Some of the "smaller" ones like Atelier, Ys, Mario & Luigi and many others saw some pretty great titles as well.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
It's not a poor gen, but it's a considerably worse one considering how this genre used to be king and now... not so much.

But hey, I completely understand that that's been provoked by problems not exclusive to the genre (or Japan or the industry in general) and even then, it has given us great games. It's just that it's not the same for me (of course I'm a bit of a nostalgiafag, so it's probably that, too xD).

By the way, to try and stay on-topic xD, I'll say that I'm really excited about how the world is going to be in terms of countries, cities, towns, dungeons... that feeling of wonder and exploration is something I don't get that often anymore, so I'm so pumped for that (since 2006... xD).

Ok just to answer you and go back on topic. The fact that JRPGs aren't the most important genre in consoles anymore is not because the generation was "worse" in terms of quality. I think it's because of the casual market. Those players prefer small 1$ apps and shooters because those are games that provide tons of fun with little time invested. JRPGs and westers RPGs are the exact opposite, you need to invest several hours in a game just to understand what the hell is going on and how to play. My last example would be Bravely Default, after 3 hours I barely have two of the 24 jobs and the party just met each other. A Call of Duty campaign is almost over after 3 hours of gameplay.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying one genre is better than the other so don't take it that way.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I've always been a huge fan of martial arts and seeing anime-style characters in RPG do martial arts like Advent Children blows me away. I think Noct's got style and some cool moves. The music sounds epic and the story, from what I know so far it breath-taking. It's time to traverse a huge world full of problems that need solving and chocobo to ride again after so long. I love FFs and I want them to be back at the top of the RPG genre. So I want 15 to be great. Not ok. No so-so. I want it to be great. But notice I'm not fooled into thinking it'll be perfect.

I've already decided I'll likely use Noct, Ignus, and Prompto as my main of the reveal cast so far.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
BTW, I'm not sure if you're saying that I'm one those who cannot get into games without those production values, but just in case I'll say that of course I can, the games I listed aren't (not at all) that expensive, and I still love the hell out of them (anyways, I can't believe I forgot including Demons' Souls/Dark Souls xD).
I'm not. All I'm saying is that some people probably can't get into the smaller, lesser known JRPG efforts and prefer the opposite.

I don't think we've really had a lot of big efforts along the lines of FFXIII and Xenoblade last generation.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Yeah. It used to be that my siblings loved the lesser known RPGs as much as the big ones. Now if it's not KH, Tales or FF they don't care. And sometimes they don't care even if it's those. It's sad how much people loose interest in this in only a short time.