Will FF7 ever be re-made into HD?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bremaine

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Aug 31, 2014
Many people have wanted an HD remake of FF7 for ages now, personally I'm fine with it not happening, but with the craze of HD remakes and remasters I'm sure they will end up making it happen very soon. I don't know when exactly it'll happen, but I think it will.

Anyways, do you care if it happens?

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'll always say this about a prospective FF VII remake:

Sometime during our lifetimes. Probably not this console generation, perhaps not even the next, but as new platforms and ways to play video games are developed, SE may very well remake FF VII.

Until their core employees (the developers of FF VII) begin to leave the company, retire, or pass away, it will always be a possibility.

Orenji

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 15, 2013
Mataró
orenji-chan.blogspot.com
Many people have wanted an HD remake of FF7 for ages now, personally I'm fine with it not happening, but with the craze of HD remakes and remasters I'm sure they will end up making it happen very soon. I don't know when exactly it'll happen, but I think it will.

Anyways, do you care if it happens?
Like you said, I'm fine with it not happening. They said that it would be too difficult and expensive to make it happen, so I wouldn't count on it happening very soon... This is getting old and tiring. I'd rather have new FFs than remakes/remasters of old ones. Type-0 HD is somehow necessary, and so are the HD ReMIXES for Kingdom Hearts (y'know, never-seen content, the possibility to play everything on PS3, etc.), but I think that should be it for now. Then, XV, and then, PLEASE, XVI. I'm dying to know what the future games will be like.

May 26, 2014
The way I see it, remaking VII would be far too costly to be worthwhile. SE would literally have to remake the game from the ground up for it to look even halfway decent by today's standards. If we're talking XIII level visuals, then you've already got an amazingly expensive project on your hands. Not only that, they'd also have to redesign large portions of the game if they ditch the top-down perspective.

Or maybe I'm just saying that cause I don't give a darn if it's remade, lol.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I think sooner or later FF7 will get a remake. It may depend a lot on XV and future games' success. As said above after XV I'd rather see a completely new game. But after XVI they may even remake FFVII and title it FFXVII, lol

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Remasters, remakes and ports happen because there are a new generation of gamers who have not experience older greats. I think it will eventually happen.

Firstly, Kitase of SE says it will be the "biggest project" he has ever done and requires a lot of time to work on it.
All games take a lot of time to work on.

Secondly, previous CEO of SE Yoichi Wada says for a VII remake to happen, the new Final Fantasy games must succeeds VII in terms of quality and sales.

On top of that, he also says, if the company were to remake it without the new FF games succeeding VII, the series will be done for, according to him.
Coming from a guy who wants to milk the IP to death, I don't think he really believes that. Either way, he's not in charge anymore so his opinion is obsolete.

May 26, 2014
Not to mention VII still sells well on PSN (I think). No point in sinking millions to remake it when it's still making money with minimal work/cost involved.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I know. Even AlphaOmegaSin said that as well. Kitase is probably saying that it isn't a priority at the moment but couldn't find the right words for it.
He probably just wants people to stop asking him about a FFVII remake. Same with Wada as well. It can get pretty tiring.

Sooner or later, Remakes and remasters will be the death of the industry. As time goes on, a new generation of gamers will arrive and companies will have opportunity to make remasters and remakes time and time again.
Its a delight to see them visually upgraded, but too many of it is bad.
Death of the industry?

I should point out that these remasters we're getting right now aren't just about a new generation of gamers.

We're getting all these remasters because AAA games today take too long to make and cost ton of money. A company's output has decreased because making those high production titles today require a ton of resources. The total amount of AAA games we see per generation has decreased because of this.

A remaster is suppose to be cheap and quick to make. Right now, they are filling in the holes and covering up this drought as we wait for the primary reasons why we bought a next generation console in the first place.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I say the death of the industry not in terms of its business but rather what developers have to go through. We have already discussed bout remakes and remaster in another Thread, Squirrel.
From time to time, developers will get tired of returning back to the games they have already made and they just want to make something new. Its an honor to go back to the games they have made for a couple of times but too many is just too much.
Most remasters, for your information, are usually outsourced or handled by a different team.

ConceptX

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 1, 2014
United Kingdom
I think it will, and should, though not in the near future.

Cost and time are irrelevant, the game would be changed so much (to be at 13/15's standards) that it will be equivalent and treated as a "new" game, this isn't a problem, it's just a way to skirt around the issue of reputation/morale. On changing things, I'm currently replaying 7 for the millionth time alongside 8/9/13-2/LR and X/X-2 HD (I know...) and some of the more comedic scenes would be hard to reproduce, so hard that they would be almost totally different, due to original models having basically no real facial or body animations outside of the few limited ones, things like Don Corneo bouncing ontop of the bed and bouncing around to be reproduced in 3D and at a different perspective would have to be totally retooled and changes to the script for voice over, and quality purposes.

Now for me personally, I think they should remake 8 and 9 first, for a few reasons, putting opinions aside, neither are bad games, 9 especially, 9 would make a fantastic remake because it's so damn creative and beautiful, Hironobu Sakaguchi himself has said that it is his favourite Final Fantasy, the one that represents the closest vision to the "true" Final Fantasy, alongside being the one that would deserve a squeal more. So by remaking 9, or 8, first, they can test the waters, the reaction of such a massive change in graphics and perspective, the retooling of scenes and script editing (Story shouldn't be touched, but several scenes in all 3 games would need rewrites to come across properly in a remake with highly detailed scenes and characters), they can see the fan reaction, see the media reaction, the reviews, and sales, without the risk of tarnishing the "holy grail" of FF7. < Fun fact, iirc, they considered remaking 9 on PS2 a year after it was released, and it got cut.

I think G-Bike, and possible other games based on the Golden Saucer could indeed be leading upto a remake, the original fans of FF7 are getting old, a lot don't have time to put 100 hours into a game anymore, so building up a fanbase in the massive mobile market, with new customers, making them interested in the world of FF7 is a great step towards the "final goal". So whilst they are building up a new fanbase in the future with FF7 spin-offs, in what is frankly, a much larger market, will it be enough to replace old FF7 fans who, if given enough time, simple won't care about the remake they have craved so long?

Regardless, a remaster should be handled by SE themselves, whilst the FFX remaster was great (imo), a lot of LR was handled by an outsourced company, and the flat background textures and buildings look absolutely awful in comparison to Lightning and monsters.

Edit: Funny, watching the new Dragon Quest Heroes trailer for PS4, is pretty similar to how I'd imagine an FF9 remake.

Last edited:

Orenji

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 15, 2013
Mataró
orenji-chan.blogspot.com
I think it will, and should, though not in the near future.

Cost and time are irrelevant, the game would be changed so much (to be at 13/15's standards) that it will be equivalent and treated as a "new" game, this isn't a problem, it's just a way to skirt around the issue of reputation/morale. On changing things, I'm currently replaying 7 for the millionth time alongside 8/9/13-2/LR and X/X-2 HD (I know...) and some of the more comedic scenes would be hard to reproduce, so hard that they would be almost totally different, due to original models having basically no real facial or body animations outside of the few limited ones, things like Don Corneo bouncing ontop of the bed and bouncing around to be reproduced in 3D and at a different perspective would have to be totally retooled and changes to the script for voice over, and quality purposes.

Now for me personally, I think they should remake 8 and 9 first, for a few reasons, putting opinions aside, neither are bad games, 9 especially, 9 would make a fantastic remake because it's so damn creative and beautiful, Hironobu Sakaguchi himself has said that it is his favourite Final Fantasy, the one that represents the closest vision to the "true" Final Fantasy, alongside being the one that would deserve a squeal more. So by remaking 9, or 8, first, they can test the waters, the reaction of such a massive change in graphics and perspective, the retooling of scenes and script editing (Story shouldn't be touched, but several scenes in all 3 games would need rewrites to come across properly in a remake with highly detailed scenes and characters), they can see the fan reaction, see the media reaction, the reviews, and sales, without the risk of tarnishing the "holy grail" of FF7. < Fun fact, iirc, they considered remaking 9 on PS2 a year after it was released, and it got cut.

I think G-Bike, and possible other games based on the Golden Saucer could indeed be leading upto a remake, the original fans of FF7 are getting old, a lot don't have time to put 100 hours into a game anymore, so building up a fanbase in the massive mobile market, with new customers, making them interested in the world of FF7 is a great step towards the "final goal". So whilst they are building up a new fanbase in the future with FF7 spin-offs, in what is frankly, a much larger market, will it be enough to replace old FF7 fans who, if given enough time, simple won't care about the remake they have craved so long?

Regardless, a remaster should be handled by SE themselves, whilst the FFX remaster was great (imo), a lot of LR was handled by an outsourced company, and the flat background textures and buildings look absolutely awful in comparison to Lightning and monsters.

Edit: Funny, watching the new Dragon Quest Heroes trailer for PS4, is pretty similar to how I'd imagine an FF9 remake.
FFVII remake? Unlikely at this point. FFVIII & IX remakes? Not gonna happen.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I for one would love to see an AC quality Don Corneo bouncing on the bed and hip thrusting. :D

Though I know my hopes of what a VII remaster should be like is so far off from the typical fanboy's. I'd want pre-rendered backgrounds at a higher resolution and for it to be available on a portable system. It doesn't have to be 1 mil+ triangles but I'd like improved character models, like PS2 quality with nice textures. I don't care about voice overs either. Though people have freaked out at me for even mentioning this before...

I'd like similar remakes for VII and IX.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Like you said, I'm fine with it not happening. They said that it would be too difficult and expensive to make it happen, so I wouldn't count on it happening very soon... This is getting old and tiring. I'd rather have new FFs than remakes/remasters of old ones. Type-0 HD is somehow necessary, and so are the HD ReMIXES for Kingdom Hearts (y'know, never-seen content, the possibility to play everything on PS3, etc.), but I think that should be it for now. Then, XV, and then, PLEASE, XVI. I'm dying to know what the future games will be like.
Honestly a Final Fantasy VII remake might be more necessary than the Kingdom Hearts ReMixes. With that said I don't believe a remake is needed, but then again I look how I own remakes of the older Final Fantasy's I-VI and if they weren't remade I wouldn't be able to own them.

So a remake might be needed sometime if they want to introduce it to newer fans in the future.

Orenji

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 15, 2013
Mataró
orenji-chan.blogspot.com
Honestly a Final Fantasy VII remake might be more necessary than the Kingdom Hearts ReMixes.
You can play FFVII on your PS1 or PS3, but you need like one hundred systems (PS2, GBA, PSP, 3DS) to play all KH games, and now they're (almost) all available just for the PS3. In my case, just owning a PS3 at the moment, that's what I call a necessity :p.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
You can play FFVII on your PS1 or PS3, but you need like one hundred systems (PS2, GBA, PSP, 3DS) to play all KH games, and now they're (almost) all available just for the PS3. In my case, just owning a PS3 at the moment, that's what I call a necessity :p.
Good point, but since KH ReMix is a collection and we're talking about one game being remade, Well to make it fair then we should add spin-offs in Final Fantasy VII's remake to make it an collection as well. Before Crisis:FFVII, Crisis Core:FFVII, and what the heck, why not throw in Advent Children:FFVII. That's mobile phones, PSP, PS1, and DVD/Blu-ray products all available for one system! Now that is way more necessary! Hehe! :p