Xenoblade Chronicles X Announced

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I thought the story was fine and did enough to keep me interested. Started off slow, picked up in the middle and then slammed it in my face towards the end.

I don’t really play games expecting great works of literature anyway. I'm actually glad that's what Takahashi focused on with Xenoblade. Thought it worked out well. If this approach allows them to create more gameplay content, then fine by me!

Sep 26, 2013

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Well, considering those "dolls" are probably proportionally faster than humans, the world probably has to be bigger than 5 times. I ant this game, but I still feel uneasy about some aspects of the game.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I want to be interested in this and hope it's good, but then I remember the character models look like this:
Hopefully it won't be as bad as I think.
Character models were bad enough in the original, but this is straight SO4-level of hideous. God, those creepy doll-looking inexpressive models give me nightmares.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Character designs were strange to me at first but it doesn’t bother me much anymore. Elma looks pretty good after getting a few good looks of her in the live demo. Not much to say about the others really until I see more of them and how they act.

Pretty obvious that the focus is on the world design so that’s where all the time, effort and energy will be.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
It's the character designer for Xenogears (and the first Xenosaga). Not the artist of the first Xenoblade. His art actually does look a lot like that, and it's hard to translate the more baby faced characters to 3d without looking doll-like I guess :/

To me the graphics actually look a lot like the first Xenosaga game in HD, which has me excited. And honestly I think the screencap is misleading because there were plenty of other characters shown who didn't look like that... and that's a good thing because of diversity. If all the characters had baby doll faces that would be a problem, but they don't and won't.

I wonder if it's possible to make an Elly clone in the character customization. The Treehouse vids glossed over it but from the menu options I saw, there are TONS of possibilities.

Sep 26, 2013
More stuff from the Edge interview http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127393688&postcount=3136

As you guys probably know by now, the latest EDGE issue features a "Nintendo blowout", with looks at various upcoming Wii U titles. I got my hands on in for the Takahashi interview and thought I'd give you guys the gist of it. It's pretty anemic, and sheds light on stuff most of us have probably figured out by now.

Anyways, the first question is about how Monolith is transitioning into the world of HD development. Takahashi says since X is their first HD project, they don't want to set hard-to-achieve goals, and they'll work on steadily building up key skills. Their primary goal with X is to lay the groundwork for HD development, so as to make sure they don't overreach themselves and cause problems.

*Next, they ask why he's moving away from "a class-based system for player characters", and if he felt that his previous works were too restrictive in that regard.* He tells them that, unlike their previous games, the protagonist doesn't have a fixed personality and serves as the player's avatar, so naturally he/she wouldn't have a fixed class, gender, or personality. He says they felt that this was the best approach for this game.

After that, they inquire about the size of the world. Takahashi says that since the Dolls were five times the size of a person, they expanded the size of the world equally as to not marginalize the sense of scale we had in the first game. And while the game is actually bigger than five times Xenoblade's landmass, they've made sure that players will feel comfortable navigating it.

The next question asks how they're approaching the side quest system as to address some of the criticism its gotten in Xenoblade. He responds that objectives and relevant NPCs will be displayed on the map, and that they've added features to make questing more convenient.

Finally, they query as to the use of the gamepad. Takahashi says it'll be displaying important info relevant to the game's systems and your objectives on it, as well as serving as a navigation tool similar to what you'd see with tablet computers.

*I don't get this question. They're moving towards a class system in X, not away from it.*

And that's about it; really poor interview, if you ask me. Also, if the pic of Takahashi in the magazine is recent, he's looking pretty scruffy these days. :p

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
The next question asks how they're approaching the side quest system as to address some of the criticism its gotten in Xenoblade. He responds that objectives and relevant NPCs will be displayed on the map, and that they've added features to make questing more convenient.
That wasn't the main problem with Xenoblade's sidequests. It was the generic "go kill 5 monsters" or "go collect 20 herbs" type of side quest; which, in my opinion, were not enjoyable.

Sep 26, 2013
I find the best approach with quests is to go to town first, accept all quests, do some but not all (definitely do timed quests though) and don't focus too heavily on them. Doing a ton a quests all at once can be very tiring. Also, some quests, like the monster and item collecting quests, you really shouldn't even have to think about. If you approach it right, those quests just come to you and get completed before your very eyes. In my case, I was thoroughly exploring areas, checking out the sights, and leveling up. As I was doing that, many of those quests were starting to get completed without me needing to focus too heavily on them. They might have been generic, but at the same time it wasn't too big of a deal for me due to not really thinking too much about it.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Friendly reminder. Soraya Saga retweeted the upcoming Nintendo Direct. :D

Could be for either the 3DS game or Wii U game. We'll find out!