1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Yooka-Laylee: The age of 3D platformers coming back?!

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Wazi the pa, May 3, 2015.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

?

Do you believe the era of 3D platformers is coming back?

1. Yes!

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No.

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

In summary, an indie studio called Playtonic Games (which consists of long time game devs from rare) are making a spiritual successor game to Banjo-Koozie.

That game is:
    [​IMG]

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More can be found at the game's official site which contains loads more information, screenshots & more.
    The link:

http://www.playtonicgames.com/games/yooka-laylee/

They've also got their kickstarter page put up a day and bit ago and I must say... They're being backed with loads. Check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival

The game at heart will be a 3D platformer made by the important devs who made Banjo-Kazooie. I just really hope this game goes well. Not only will it spark a message to the bigger companies that there are people who still want those kind of games and there is a market for it, maybe it can also trigger to get some familiar faces back on the field...

Spyro? Crash? COME ON, I need that to happen!

What do you guys think? Has this game grabbed your attention? Do you believe this is the start of 3D platformer games coming back to this day and age after many years??

Zero likes this.
  2. Zero

Zero Red Wings Commander UFFSite Veteran

I absolutely LOVE Banjo-Kazooie. IMHO it rivaled even SM64 back in the day. This marks the first Kickstarter that I've ever backed. Any 3D platformer with old school Rare staff involved immediately has my undivided attention. I'm not sure that 3D platformers are coming back but I hope they do. I'd say the amount of money they've netted so quickly on this is definitely gonna raise some developers eyebrows to the genre, though.

3. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

A return? Depends on how good the games are. Mario is like the only 3D platformer today that consistently has high quality gameplay and sells well.

Perhaps smaller platformers with not a big budget can make a return though. Don't have to worry about pleasing publishers and investors. Fans are funding this and as long as the games are good, I don't think they'll hesitate to fund another one.

Developers with many years of experience going independent and going through Kickstarter is one of the best things to happen in gaming these past few years. This is how we get the games we want. This is where developers can have their creative freedom and not worry about the business side of things.

Yooka-Laylee should be a good one though. Out of all the Kickstarters out there, this is a very big deal. Anyone who grew up with Rare during the 90's and witnessed what became of them once they went to Microsoft understands this. Playtonic Games is a rebirth of that company. From company logo to Banjo spiritual successor. It's a return to the glory days.

Zero likes this.
  4. Wazi the pa

I hope it goes beyond that. I really hope it does.

Zero likes this.
  5. Jenova

Jenova ShinRa SOLDIER

Funded this myself. I'm not big on the whole Kickstarter concept, but this was a definite exception.

6. Misty

Misty Yevonite

I never played Banjo-Kazooie but I am a fan of the genre. If Yooka-Laylee does well, which I believe it will, I can definitely see other developers dipping back into the platformer pool, but I don't believe it'll return to its previous popularity or glory any time soon either. And I'm alright with that, really. I'd particularly like to see more indie developers make 3D platformers as I'm getting a bit weary of side-scrollers... but that complaint may also come from PS+ giving out a lot of 2D indie games.

7. LeonBlade

LeonBlade Forest Owl Staff Member Moderator Site Staff

I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but I feel like this is going to be another game that has high hopes that just falls short in a lot of areas. Hopefully I'm wrong and the game will do well, but I have my doubts.

I haven't played any of the Banjo games, but I've played Spyro and Crash which I love, so I'd love for these games to come back in a big way.

8. Wazi the pa

Has any recent big crowd funded games been much of a disappointment lately?
    I bet you already know that Banjo-Kazooie is a beloved 3D platformer just as much as Spyro & Crash for good reasons, so I guess that might give you one reason to be excited for this game.... Maybe.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  9. Jenova

Jenova ShinRa SOLDIER

Banjo-Kazooie and Crash/Spyro are very different games despite being in the same genre.

10. Lulcielid

Lulcielid Turk

I´m in a similar boat to you i played Spyro and Crash and i liked those games and i´d also like to see more 3D platformers but these are my -you could say-"problems" with Yooka-Laylee, most of the selling points (going by their kickstarter page description) heavily [at least for me] shouts fanservice to the old 90´s players of platforming games, more specific from banjo kazooie, remarking that all staff member are related to Banjo Kazooie.

It´s a similar issue i have with Edge of Eternity where its main appeal comes from the "old school"fanservice for the old JRPG players.

Maybe i´m being a bit unfair with this game so i´ll wait for more concrete info about it to come up with a solid opinion but despite my impresions not being the most optimistics i still have hope that the game will do well ,not because of its appealing but for actually being a well made game.

11. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't say that it's really about fan service but more about what the game industry has become. You're not going to see games with big production values like this on home consoles anymore. They're too risky to make. If you work for companies like this, you're going to be forced to work on projects that you don't truly want to make but what makes the company money instead. Some game designers value their creative freedom and want to make whatever they want. It's one reason why they leave and go independent.

People want games like this because of how creative they are. I think that's what it really comes down to. There was a time in this game industry where we had a variety of games on home consoles. That variety has shrunk and certain types of games are either dying or dead. With all the sequels and same old ideas the home console market gets today, games like this are a breath of fresh air.

Side note: I'm aware you can download these games on a home console. This is more about the AAA market and the type of games you see on store shelves today.

12. Wazi the pa

I just said they are beloved games. I too agree that they are different in terms of content and overall game. I'm trying to point that it's a platformer to keep your eye on..... So yeah.... lol.

Zero likes this.
  13. Sioux

Sioux PSICOM Soldier UFFSite Veteran

I honestly thought I messed up the dates on the Yooka Laylee Kickstarter...and then I realized it had been fully funded within the same hour it started...

I am ecstatic. I grew up on Rareware games in addition to all the SNES RPGs and other platformers at the time from Nintendo. I was always a Donkey Kong Country fan but, I definitely made time for Banjo Kazooie. It was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had on the N64 even more so than Donkey Kong 64. I am very much looking forward to seeing Yooka-Laylee hopefully capture some of that classic Rareware spirit. I know I have been needing it especially since the last 15 years of gaming has been just just such a push market for everything but the platformer in a serious light.

14. Wazi the pa

All we need is Ratchet & Clank to do exceptional as well and soon, we may the rise of platformers coming back.

15. Zero

Zero Red Wings Commander UFFSite Veteran

New trailer. Looks awesome.

FootloosePhoenix likes this.
  16. FootloosePhoenix

FootloosePhoenix Yevonite

The trailer makes me really hopeful. I never played Banjo-Kazooie, but I did grow up playing platformers, and the trailer definitely rekindled that childhood sense of joy in me again. I hope it's as good as it looks and it performs well in terms of sales. Judging from how successful the Kickstarter campagin was, I'm guessing that'll be the case. Either way, I'll be happy to play it in early 2017. ^_^

17. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Chocobo Knight

I've never played Banjo-Kazooie but this looks simply amazing. I hope Yooka-Laylee marks a come back of 3d platformers.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!