1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Your favorite Anime of all time

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Wazi the pa, Aug 7, 2014.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Kaii

Kaii Red Wings Commander Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

Completely agree. It's definitely my favorite. I also love that it's like, exactly the right length? There's no filler and no fluff. I don't want something to go on forever just because I need a way to fill the others.

Oh god, that trailer looks awful to me, like it's just trading on pure nostalgia. I loved the first series of Digimon as much as the next person and even though I wasn't a fan of the later series, I when they moved past the initial one to delve into new characters and stories.

2. ScienceNonfiction

ScienceNonfiction ShinRa SOLDIER

Heck yeah! It isn't needlessly drawn out at all. Just 26 perfect episodes. What's your favorite episode? Mine's episode 18 (Speak Like a Child).

I dunno, I kind of liked the trailer. It does rely pretty heavily on the ol' "nostalgia-grab", but that's not always necessarily a bad thing. I'd like to believe Toei has enough respect for Adventure (and 02) to revisit it with a proper series, and as long as this turns out to be good, I'm all for it. I'm not expecting it to live up to the original Adventure or anything. And Toei has definitely proven that they're willing to take Digimon in different directions instead of milking Adventure all the time, so that makes me more ok with it.

It took me a second to realize what the whistle at the end of the trailer was supposed to be, but once I did I got chills all over.

Kaii likes this.
  3. Kaii

Episode 9 - Jamming with Edward XD -- I just love the introduction of her character and it's really like a fun, upbeat episode that subverts audience expectations.

That is a really good point. I guess my main frustration with the trailer is that it's a teaser trailer -- it seems like they're throwing it up there without any new content, so I have no idea what to expect. What I really don't want Toei to do is put the cart before the horse so to speak -- that is, decide to revive Digimon (because it's the 15th year anniversary) and THEN decide what the story will be. I want them to do it because they have more stories to tell.

That said, the website already has a little teaser up and it seems like it's part of the script for maybe the opening of the first episode, so hopefully that's a good sign that they have something material already in the works...

4. ScienceNonfiction

Exactly.

And yeah, I saw that little script thingy on the official site! Pretty interesting!

5. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

You guys should try to watch the anime called Captain Earth. In my opinion, its the best anime so far this year of 2014.

[​IMG]

6. AaronSOLDIER

AaronSOLDIER Stiltzkin's Apprentice

I was really late to the anime scene but Kanon 2006 was my first anime and gets my top spot followed closely by Death Note for 2nd.

7. Kaii

I remember Kanon! It was not my first, but it definitely has a special place in my memory

8. Fin

Fin Red Wings Commander UFFSite Veteran

Anyone who expects a lot from the new Digimon anime is prolly gonna get burned. It's Toei. It's a Digimon cash-in. Though chances are it'll at least be better than Xros Wars (really low bar) and if they hire the right people to handle the story, it could be good.

Does anyone here like retro/classic anime? Recently got Ringing Bell on DVD, I'd seen it a ton of times before but I only just realized it had the same director as Little Nemo. And somehow it led to me watching the 1970s Heidi anime on YouTube; it was one of the first shows Hayao Miyazaki worked on and it's really clear that he picked up a lot of his style from the World Masterpiece series.

Kaii likes this.
  9. ScienceNonfiction

What? Digimon has never been a cash-in as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the show is made to sell games and toys. Nobody can deny that. But I fail to see how a series whose (almost) every installment features well-written characters, in-depth plot, interesting concepts, and unique (and often flat out weird and off-the-wall) character and world designs is a cash-in.

10. Fin

Fin Red Wings Commander UFFSite Veteran

I dunno, as a huge Digimon fan I have to disagree and say there is a lot of wasted potential. 02 definitely felt like a poorly planned cash-in to ride on Adventure's success and making a 3rd series could be more of the same, because that series is the one fans have most nostalgia for. It's a very low-risk move to make because there are tons of Digimon fans remaining who will ONLY watch a series with Taichi and co.

Right now the Digimon franchise is in a weird spot where they don't seem to know where their target audience is anymore. Female Digimon depictions in cards etc. have become increasingly sexualized as the fanbase ages(ex.), but then the writing quality of the latest anime felt like it was insulting my intelligence so I don't know how it could hold the attention of anyone other than young children.

Mentioned it in my first post but I'm most excited for Cyber Sleuth. I feel like that is the direction the series should be heading toward, but I know the fanbase is divisive and not everyone would agree with me.

11. yeah_93

yeah_93 AVALANCHE Warrior

Well, that sure is true for me.

12. Kaii

Yeah, I feel similarly about 02; it just came too quickly it came on the heels of the original. It felt like they were sometimes more interested in pandering to the fans than being true to the characters -- and that was in a time when fan-pandering wasn't nearly as bad as it is today. So yeah, I'm a little pessimistic when they decide to make a new sequel over a decade later.

13. ScienceNonfiction

Eh. I like 02. It did have some pretty big flaws though, so I can see why a lot of people dislike it. And I think I'm one of maybe 3 people who actually enjoyed Xros Wars. It definitely wasn't as good as the other seasons, but I still liked it overall. Now Young Hunters on the other hand...

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!