Your Top 5 Games

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
May 26, 2014
I usually don't care for "top __" lists, but I thought this would be fun. So what are your top 5 favorite video games? I'll start:

5. The Last of Us
I think there are several games I could have put here, and I bet if you ask me next week it'll be something else, lol (runners-up include Star Fox 64, Persona 3, Chrono Trigger, and more). But The Last of Us is one of the best I've played. It's one of the several games that have come out in the last few years that have made it into my hall of fame. Almost everything about it is great. The scenarios are actually suspenseful (even if some of them were ripped straight from other zombie/post-apocalyptic fiction) and there are multiple ways to tackle each area. The story was simple but I got so attached to the characters, and just knowing what kind of world they live in was painful in itself. I just wanted them to have a happy life. I also liked the way it called human morality into question ("what are we capable of once society falls apart?") and how it didn't shirk some of the more difficult topics but also didn't glorify killing and violence.

4. Ocarina of Time
Yeah, it's an obvious choice, but there's just so much right about this game. The way it tells its story without even using dialogue sometimes is just perfect - the way the characters move, their expressions, all of it's just wonderful. And it's just a beautiful "coming of age" story, even though most people already know all the plot twists. Plus there were so many cool moments that stuck out to me, like getting sucked into Jabu-Jabu, drawing the Master Sword for the first time, finding Saria and learning her song. I always liked how this game (and other Zelda games) let you play an instrument in the game, and how that instrument is actually integral to the story instead of... just being there I guess. I actually think Wind Waker is just about as good as Ocarina, and if you asked me a few years ago I would have said Wind Waker was better without hesitation. But the more time goes by and the more I look back and the more I replay Ocarina, the more I like it.

3. Okami
The Legend of Zelda is my favorite video game series of all time, and Okami was always that game that - to me - "out Zelda-ed" Zelda. Unlike lot of Zelda games, Okami has you using most of your abilities for most of the game, instead of just the area where you got them. Also the entire concept is just cool, since you play as a god who creates stuff by drawing it on the screen. I like how all the characters in the game - major ones, minor ones, even bosses, and heck even minor enemies! - have a ton of personality and the art style and animations go a long way in conveying it. I appreciate a game that takes time to be silly and can put a smile on your face while also telling a good story. The only thing I didn't like about the game was that the very beginning kinda blows. I almost stopped playing at the super boring intro sections where you get your initial powers and have to make all those trees bloom. And actually I did put the game down for some time, but in the end I powered through it and I'm glad about that cause after those opening parts the game turns gold and stays gold.

2. The World Ends With You (yes, really)
This is one of the best Square games in my opinion. I loved how it tried so many different and unusual things and succeeded with nearly all of them. All the gameplay aspects were super fun. The battles seem pretty wack at first, but once you learn how to play better they become really satisfying and there's a ton you can do with all the different possible pin combinations. I loved all the stupid stuff people would think when you'd read their minds and how you could read the minds of the shop clerks, lol. I loved how there were different clothing brands and how the brands you wore affected the game's other systems. I loved the story (one of the few "survival game" stories I actually like) and how the game actually did quite a good job of revealing things at a nice pace. You didn't get all the information at once, but you were constantly learning more too. The characters were eccentric, which I'm a fan of, and the designs and other visuals were cool (love Nomura).

1. Xenogears
My favorite game of all time. I have never played or heard of any other game with a story as good as Xenogears', and I doubt I ever will. The plot never slows down, never gets boring, never lets up. It constantly introduces cool characters, awesome plot points, secrets about the world and the characters and their history one after another. It's absolutely bonkers in the best possible way. I'll be the first to admit that the gameplay isn't really that great - it's basically a worse Final Fantasy (though the Gear battles are pretty fun), but I was ok with that because (a) I wanted to keep the story moving cause it was that good and (b) there were many cool situations like the sinking sand ship, the tournaments, etc. And I liked disc 2 btw.

So there you go. I guess that's my top 5. I think it's pretty obvious that I enjoy games with a good story, great music (I didn't mention it, but all the games that I'd consider my favorites, even ones not on this list, have awesome music), and a good sense of humor or at least some lighthearted moments.

What are you guys' favorite games? Feel free to fanboy out as much as I did write a little bit like I did, or you can just make a list, or you can... just do whatever. :)

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
1. FINAL FANTASY X
2. Shadow of the Colossus
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
4. PERSONA 3
5. Devil May Cry 3

I´m a bit sleepy to fanboy about this games right now, will make an edit later .

Omegataco

PSICOM Soldier
Apr 1, 2016
1. Majora's Mask
2. FF9
3. Xenoblade
4. Old school Star Wars Galaxies (an MMO! kill it with fire Kappa)
5. Kingdom Hearts 2

Aug 13, 2016
Honourable Mentions: Bloodborne, The World Ends with You, Final Fantasy VII, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Pokemon Red / Blue / Yellow, Gears of War, Banjo Kazooie

5: Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix
I can remember the long wait for KH2 after the original Kingdom Hearts. It was painful (it seems short now compared to the wait for KH3 / FFXV!). I did enjoy KH2 on its original release, but it didn't have the same impact as KH1 for me (which as you can probably see i'll detail shortly!). The final mix version of KH2 both added and improved it in every respect for me. I can remember following the release of Final Mix+ in Japan, with it bundling Re: Chain of Memories. Along with the Organisation XIII data battles and the lingering will, it looked fantastic. I was thrilled when it was included in KH2.5 and i could finally explore all this extra content. I'd say from a gameplay perspective, it's the most fun i've had with a video game.

4. Final Fantasy X
I recall receiving a PS2 back in 2002, having previously owned a SNES and an N64. I didn't have many games for it (and i didn't really know any of the franchises being raised on Nintendo), so i can recall my parents taking me to my local rental store to rent a game for it. That's when i saw FFX and was intrigued by the box art (bearing in mind i was only 10 and had never heard of Final Fantasy before!). I have fond memories of playing those initial first few hours and thats when i asked for it for my birthday. I received the strategy guide and the game. I played it from back to front and i'd never been so invested in a game. There was also a bonus disk that came with it and thats how i discovered Kingdom Hearts. Being raised on Disney and how it included Final Fantasy, i knew it would be something special to me.

3. Super Mario Galaxy
I also played the Gameboy Advance, as well as the PS2 in my early years. I'd read the official nintendo magazine fairly regular (not realising at a young age how biased it could be!) and that's how i discovered E3. I can remember watching E3 2006 (i think?) and thats when Nintendo unveiled the Wii. It might sound daft in hind sight, but the concept of it blew me away. I saw Super Mario Galaxy advertised and i was sold on it. I had a paper round at the time, so i placed a pre-order and worked for months saving for the system along with Twilight Princess (a game i had also followed for years!). I can remember the mad christmas rush that year for the Wii and i was satisfied in the knowledge i had one pre-ordered. I initially played Wii Sports, then twilight princess. It was Super Mario Galaxy that was the best game on the system for me. I won't go into too much detail, but i thought the graphics were incredible for a SD system and it was great to hear orchestrated music in a mario game. I played it from back to front, collecting all the stars with both Mario and Luigi.

2. Shadow of the Colossus
I saw Shadow of the Colossus previewed in the official playstation magazine at the time and really liked the sound of a game consisting entirely of boss battles. The scale of it looked amazing to me. I can remember purchasing a copy and it came in a unique box with art cards. I had no idea what to expect, but everything drew me in from the start. After defeating each colossus i was unsure what was happening with wander with his hair darkening, as well as his appearance. The scene near the end with Agro shocked me and left me shaken before the final battle. The soundtrack still to this day is one of the best I've heard and set the tone perfectly. Then came the ending and the credits rolled. One of the best endings ever to a video game in my opinion. It was haunting, shocking and left me sad that it was all over. To this day one of my favourite games of all time and it only just narrowly misses out by the next game.

1. Kingdom Hearts
As mentioned earlier, i saw Kingdom Hearts advertised on a preview disk that came with FFX. I completed FFX over the summer and i can recall revisiting the Kingdom Hearts trailer on a regular basis. I think the game released in October in the UK that year and i can remember having to wait until Christmas for it. Christmas day came and i received the game along with the Strategy guide. I'd been anticipating it for months and I can remember starting it on christmas day that year more excited for it than anything. It took me a short while to get into the game, but i think it was the guard armour fight where Sora first meets Donald and Goofy was where it started to click for me. My cousin also recieved it for christmas and i loved every second of it. I have fond memories of KH1. It was the first game where i unlocked everything, so i could see the secret ending. I even levelled up to lvl 100 so i could defeat Sephiroth.

I still follow Kingdom Hearts as a franchise and would like to see it out with the release of KH3, but the first will always be the best in the series for me.

There's my top 5. There aren't many games that i get invested in any more, with time sadly lacking with work commitments. I think in the future, the only game i can see that could potentially break my top 5 is FFXV. Can't wait for it now!

05. God of War

Sometime, a game comes just at the right time in one's life to gain a level of significance that doesn't dilute despite its sequels dragging bits and pieces of what made it once great through the mud. God of War, to me, is such a title. When Kratos first arrived on the video gaming landscape, I was as angry and frustrated as he was - sans the murdering, of course, even though violence had definitely been a part of my rubbish high school life - and so his ballet-esque slaughtering of greek beasts was more than just appealing. As time went on, I came to appreciate the ending more and more and the sequels increasingly less. It's a gut-punch moment after all the violence, as Kratos comes to face the fact that his violent behaviour has not given him absolution, but brought him on the brink of destruction. A powerful message about violence which could've left the "saga" on a high note - but instead they proceded to f' it up.

04. Final Fantasy IX

The last "classical" Final Fantasy can be considered nothing short of the best thing Squaresoft made prior to the merger with Enix, their all-time rival. Yes, there was other good stuff too (like the excellent Vagrant Story, the underappreciated Final Fantasy Tactics and the nigh-transcendent Xenogears), but the ninth installment of the long-running RPG series did many things right and has not been surpassed ever since. The seemingly simplistic story which evolves into a grand opéra about the essence of life, the rich world, the grandiose music and the loveable characters make this the peak of an entire series. There's never been a high point as high in an RPG series this long.

03. Flower/Journey

Meditativeness is an emotion few games tap into. And despite there being an excellent premise for this, too many bog it down with making the game more "game-like", i.e. cramming in combat and similar things to escape the stigma of being "just an experiment". The one-two-punch of thatgamecompany's Flower and Journey proves that there is no need for these fears. Both games are, in their own right, masterful creations birthed from a kind of self-confidence and dedication that seem lost in an industry where cynicsm and fear of negative perception are dictating so much of the creative process.

02. Metroid Prime

There's really not much to say about Metroid Prime. Sometimes, things just come together in a way that is a near-perfect realization of what a genre is all about. Isolation? Yes. Exploration? You betcha. Games like these are like Spaghetti - you think it's so simple to make them good but it's so easy to turn them into a mess. Prime is - no pun intended - still the prime example of what a good Metroidvania looks and feels like. OK, maybe there's Dark Souls. But that's about it.

01. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Today, there's so much blurbing on about "immersion" and "cinematic experiences" and what it oftentimes means is that games look pretty and are scripted to the T with little freedom. Majora's Mask is both immersive and cinematic without scripting setpieces. Instead of highly-detailed facial expressions, we have characters with their own lives, worries and troubles. There is only one lack of freedom in this game - the ever-ticking clock to the world's (and, by proxy the player's) doom - to dictate the player's behaviour. What Nintendo made in 1999 wasn't just another Zelda game, but a masterpiece in its own right that has stood the test of time in both the game industry and the series it once spawned (which went back to a formula with The Wind Waker and stuck with it until now). You can't repeat Majora's Mask. You just can't.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
1.Super Metroid
2. Metroid Prime Trilogy
3. Zelda OOT + Majoras Mask
4. Final Fantasy IV + V + VI + VII + IX
5. Super Mario 3 + Super Mario World

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Chrono Cross
Xenogears
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

honorable mentions:
Zone of the Enders 2
Bloodborne
Journey

don't know the order, except for the top 1. Chrono Cross is the best game of all-time (and dimensions) for me, a true masterpiece; what hooked me up at first was the mysterious and enigmatic story, tropical setting and the OST (which I consider to be the best ever), words cannot explain how much I love this game.

i'm happy that Okami was mentioned, I know many still haven't played but really... you guys don't know what you're missing out; I've never seen a game exuding so much charisma in its world and characters (I cried at the end, which is super rare), and the game is big, full packed with content and story.

the first time i climbed the giant in Shadow of the Colossus was the most memorable moment of gaming for me. I was totally in awe, this game is the perfect definition of epic.

Last edited:
May 26, 2014
After defeating each colossus i was unsure what was happening with wander with his hair darkening, as well as his appearance
I thought it was just my imagination the first time I played it.

Also your experience with the PS2/FFX/KH1 is pretty similar to mine. Like you, I was familiar with Nintendo as a kid. I had a Game Boy Color and, while I never owned one myself, I'd always play N64 with my friends and cousins. Then my mom bought a PS2 for Christmas. We didn't really know any of the franchises on it. Up until then we'd been raised on Mario and Pokemon. I guess my mom thought something with Disney in it would be good for me and my cousin to play, so she got Kingdom Hearts for us. My cousin and I were obsessed. So many fond memories of that game. I remember watching the opening movie and thinking it was "mysterious." I remember how bummed I was when, after trying for days, we finally beat Cerberus only to turn off the game without saving. If you'll remember, the cutscenes in the original version were unskippable. I think I watched that scene right before you fight Riku about 50 times because we kept dying!

After that, my cousin and I wanted to play another game that would be just as good as Kingdom Hearts, and since we now knew about Final Fantasy and Squaresoft, we asked my uncle to get FFX for us. He did, and though my cousin never got into it (he didn't like the turn based battles), I was hooked and, well... the rest is history!

1.Super Metroid
2. Metroid Prime Trilogy
3. Zelda OOT + Majoras Mask
4. Final Fantasy IV + V + VI + VII + IX
5. Super Mario 3 + Super Mario World

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014

Also your experience with the PS2/FFX/KH1 is pretty similar to mine. Like you, I was familiar with Nintendo as a kid. I had a Game Boy Color and, while I never owned one myself, I'd always play N64 with my friends and cousins. Then my mom bought a PS2 for Christmas. We didn't really know any of the franchises on it. Up until then we'd been raised on Mario and Pokemon. I guess my mom thought something with Disney in it would be good for me and my cousin to play, so she got Kingdom Hearts for us. My cousin and I were obsessed. So many fond memories of that game. I remember watching the opening movie and thinking it was "mysterious." I remember how bummed I was when, after trying for days, we finally beat Cerberus only to turn off the game without saving. If you'll remember, the cutscenes in the original version were unskippable. I think I watched that scene right before you fight Riku about 50 times because we kept dying!

After that, my cousin and I wanted to play another game that would be just as good as Kingdom Hearts, and since we now knew about Final Fantasy and Squaresoft, we asked my uncle to get FFX for us. He did, and though my cousin never got into it (he didn't like the turn based battles), I was hooked and, well... the rest is history!

I just can choose form the games I put combined on I feel like they are so close in quality I might as well put them together

Aug 13, 2016

It took me a while to notice what was happening to Wanda. The ending made it all the more impactful. It would be awesome to get a proper remake of Shadow of the Colossus up to modern standards.

I have very fond memories of Kingdom Hearts. I don't think the original KH will ever be topped for me for that reason, but i'm interested to see how KH3 turns out!

The GemiKnight

Clan Centurio Member
Nov 11, 2016
Durban, South Africa
Honestly, my top 5 games would end up looking more like a top 5 FF list so I've picked a game from each of the franchises that I love.

1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Resident Evil 4
3. The Witcher III
4. Assassin's Creed II
5. Tomb Raider (the reboot)

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
1.Final Fantasy IX
2.Xenogears
3.Xenosaga Episode III
4.The Witcher III
5.NieR tie with Shadow Hearts:Covenant

FFIX is my number one as it's just has this rustic, charming, immersive and inviting essence and warmth radiating from it.
The world wants you to be apart of it and be apart of the lives of the inhabitants of its world. It just feels so full, vibrant and diverse in its imaginative and diverse environment. This also goes for the unique npcs within it. So many epic, heart-warming, powerful, tragic and when relevant, comedic event unfold as you witness Zidane and his friends trudge through an unforgettable tale.

All in all, FFIX has genuine heart and a strong sense of warmth and sincerity.

Last edited:

SilverGlyph

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 27, 2016
1. Journey
1. Shadow of the Colossus
3. The Walking Dead S1

I can't categorize the rest of my favorite games, so, here's a top 3 instead, heh.

SilverGlyph

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 27, 2016
Anyone with Shadow of the Colossus at the top of their list right by me ;).
That game was a total surprise for me, picked up the HD collection with ICO as a gift for my brother. Didn't know jack about the game. But it was so incredible. And I'm quite glad to see that, even though it was niche, a lot of people seem to love it!

Hynad

Yevonite
Sep 19, 2016
That's a tough one. Let's try to narrow down the choices to only 5...

• Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • Super Metroid
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • The Last of Us
Honorable mentions:
  • Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX and XII
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt
  • Shenmue series
  • Castlevania - Symphony of the Night
  • FEZ
  • Fable 2
  • Batman - Arkham Asylym
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Killer Instinct (Arcade version)
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Maniac Mansion (C64 version)
  • Paper Mario - The Thousand-Year Door
  • Resident Evil (any version)
  • Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3
  • The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim
  • Suikoden 1-2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Dragon Quest VIII (US PS2 Version)
  • The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
  • The legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker (I enjoy both versions, but the HD one is of course better)
  • Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves
  • Lunar - The Silver Star Story Complete (RIP, Working Designs :()
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Driveclub
  • Journey
  • And many others I can't think of right now. =P
The game industry is really rich, and there are so many timeless titles. Now, I really hope Final Fantasy XV can replace one of the titles in my top 5.

Last edited: