Yuji Horii really likes FFX & XII, reconfirms Theathrythm is not up to him & much more

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
OK, now have to bump this thread. Yuji Horii likes FFXII? That's significant news for me. After reading the interview in question, it would appear that he like the game's structure more than any other FF. Damn... I did not expect that sort of opinion from Yuji Horii.

I need to let this sink in. Yuji Horii, the creator of the JRPG genre, likes the structure of FFXII more than any other FF? That's huge news! All FFXII haters that say it's garbage have just been nullified. The creator of the JRPG genre likes FFXII's structure more than any other FF! As if Hiroyuki Ito's prowess as a JRPG game designer couldn't not get any more prolific. When the creator of the genre praises your work, you're definitely in legendary status as a game designer. Yasumi Matsuno's offline MMO concept for the game has been vindicated. Then we have Xenoblade Chronicles copying FFXII's blueprint and becoming the most critically acclaimed JRPG last gen. FFXII's legacy has becoming increasingly positive and influential as the years have gone by. There's never been a better time to have been a defender of the game since it first released in 2006. :)

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Adding to @Wazi the pa comment. Yujii Horii´s comment has as much weight and meaning as the comment of a random professional reviewer. Being the creator of a genre, creator of [Insert important Brands] doesn´t change the fact that his opinion is just an opinion (like the ones from the random reviewer) and not the absolute truth.
The only significance in Horii´s comment is what Wazi said, being thanksful that you played a good game.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Yujii Horii´s comment has as much weight and meaning as the comment of a random professional reviewer. Being the creator of a genre, creator of [Insert important Brands] doesn´t change the fact that his opinion is just an opinion (like the ones from the random reviewer) and not the absolute truth.
This.
Opinions can always be objectively bad/wrong regardless of what mouth it comes from, to be quite honest.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
I get what you guys are saying, but I think you underestimate how significant Yuji Horii is. In Japan, he's second only to Shigeru Miyamoto. When it comes to JRPGs, he's the absolute truth. If he says something, you have to respect it and follow suit. I don't expect Horii's words to make any impact over here in the West, as he's not as famous and highly praised in here. However, in Japan, these words could lead to a huge shift in FFXII's mixed reputation. I hope Horii continues to praise FFXII In Japanese interviews, especially leading up to the launch of the eventual FFXII HD.

Monster Hunter wasn't always big in Japan. However, somebody significant and highly respected made it a craze at one High School, which then quickly spread to other schools, and then universities, and then work places. After only a few years of releasing on PSP, the series had taken over Japan. It started by a respected person saying, "This game is great. You should all play it with me." That influence is what got all his friends to play it with him in WLAN. Before you know it, other people caught on and the shit spread from school to school and eventually conquered Japan. Yuji Horii is way more widely respected and influential than some random teengaer in a Japanese High School. If he keeps praising FFXII enough in Japanese media, some FFXII haters may even force themselves to like it. LOL!

Last edited:

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
I get what you guys are saying, but I think you underestimate how significant Yuji Horii is. In Japan, he's second only to Shigeru Miyamoto. When it comes to JRPGs, he's the absolute truth. If he says something, you have to respect it and follow suit. I don't expect Horii's words to make any impact over here in the West, as he's not as famous and highly praised in here. However, in Japan, these words could lead to a huge shift in FFXII's mixed reputation. I hope Horii continues to praise FFXII In Japanese interviews, especially leading up to the launch of the eventual FFXII HD.

Monster Hunter wasn't always big in Japan. However, somebody significant and highly respected made it a craze at one High School, which then quickly spread to other schools, and then universities, and then work places. After only a few years of releasing on PSP, the series had taken over Japan. It started by a respected person saying, "This game is great. You should all play it with me." That influence is what got all his friends to play it with him in WLAN. Before you know it, other people caught on and the shit spread from school to school and eventually conquered Japan. Yuji Horii is way more widely respected and influential than some random teengaer in a Japanese High School. If he keeps praising FFXII enough in Japanese media, some FFXII haters may even force themselves to like it. LOL!
I'm not discrediting Horii's gravitas in the slightest.
But I'm also not going to make an axiom on FFXII's design simply due to the opinion of a single digit percentile. I just think it's in bad taste.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
I'm not discrediting Horii's gravitas in the slightest.
But I'm also not going to make an axiom on FFXII's design simply due to the opinion of a single digit percentile. I just think it's in bad taste.
I agree with you. It's similar to how fans of a specific film director force themselves to like films that the director has said they like. I'd rather it didn't happen, but such a practice sometimes allows an underdog film or arthouse film to shine. It would otherwise get ignored by the masses without that director's recommendation. I personally feel that Yuji Horii can give the FFXII haters in Japan the motivation to give the game another shot with a new mindset. His views are very influential in Japan.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
In all honesty, this is the first time I've heard of Yuji Horii...... I'll exit through the back door......
I wish you were joking, but I know you're not. I'd tell you that you should be ashamed of yourself, but you clearly know that already. That being said, I'm glad this thread allowed you to find out about the man. He's a living legend and the father of JRPGs. In Japan, he's second only to Shigeru Miyamoto with regards to game developer fame.

Last edited:

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
Kinda makes me wonder how many know of Horii's existence....... Just means that his view of FFXII wouldn't be as relevant to a majority of fans as some would hope......

The game itself should prove it's worth to fans. Others' opinions can only take the game so far; Merely a temporary boon.
As I said, he's not well known in the West. I mean, you didn't even know who he was and you're a huge JRPG fan! LOL!

It's in Japan where he's famous. Considering FFXII sold many copies there, but got a mixed reception, his opinion would definitely change the overall view of the game. You shouldn't underestimate his influence. Also, not everyone that buys a mainline FF in Japan is necessarily a fan. The IP has reached a stage of mass market appeal where people will just buy the game for being a mainline FF alone. That's one of the reasons why mainline games sell so much more than the spin-offs.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
You don't need to know him to be a 'big' JRPG fan...... And also, it's wildly bold of you to say that he ain't well known in the West. I don't play the Dragon Quest games so it doesn't mean that he's not well known in the West, it's just that I haven't played any of his games.

Anyway, what I meant by fans is both longtimers and newcomers to the franchise of FF. I have no clue what was the reception like in FFXII in Japanto begin with, only outside of the country.

Also, I don't know about you but I'd supposedly be more attracted to FFXII, if I never did like it to begin with, if Sakaguchi said that but that's just me if that scenario ever happened. I don't know situations when Horii's words has changed up people's views of other games or similar situations like that.
Of course you don't need to know him to be a JRPG fan. That's obvious. It's the same with how you don't need to know Shigeru Miyamoto to be a platformer fan, or know Yu Suzuki to be a fan of 3D fighting games. However, finding them out shows a willingness to pay homage to the roots of a genre you really enjoy. The same would apply to any field of interest. If you go out of your way to find the roots of it and how it was originally conceived, it shows a keen interest in the area. Now not everybody will do it, even those that are really interested in the area, but doing it is way of showing a willingness to the know the past, not just the future.

It's not really bold of me to say he's not well known in the West. Him making Dragon Quest is not as significant as him creating the JRPG genre itself. For example, many people know Miyamoto as a legendary game designer, some without having played any of his games or even being gamers. Yuji Horii doesn't have a reputation like that over here, but he does in Japan. People that haven't played Dragon Quest, but know the series, also know who he is.

As you can tell by the sales of the mainline FF games dropping in Japan ever since FFVIII released, there's more people leaving the FF fanbase than joining it. However, sales of mainline Dragon Quest are still roughly consistent. Yuji Horii's opinion on FFXII may give some people who have left the series a reason to return and give that particular game another shot.

Sakaguchi has already praised FFXII, but he did so indirectly at a BAFTA event. He basically said the battle system and target lines in The Last Story were partly inspired by FFXII. So he never said he likes FFXII outright, but he mentioned it was an influence on The Last Story, his first game as director since FFV. At that same event, he also said he believes Hiroyuki Ito can make FF a leading RPG series again.