An updated Final Fantasy VI will release on iOS and Android this Winter

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

soup or mann

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
If it gets ported to 3DS or, preferably, Vita, then I'll buy it. I'm not interested in playing it on my phone, though.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
FF VI is the game that I want a proper remake of the most. With proper remake I mean HD remake for consoles not a 10th handheld or phone port. And with remake I mean PS2 graphics (at the least), voice acting, 3D environments, the whole shebang. Kind of like the remakes of Resident Evil or Tomb Raider Anniversary compared to the original. Really remade from scratch with modern technology.

I know a lot of FF fans who generally avoid the sprites-FFs because of their graphics style which is a shame since many of them never will experience Final Fantasy VI because of it. So thats why I think FF VI is in far greater need of a real remake then FF VII.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
I know a lot of FF fans who generally avoid the sprites-FFs because of their graphics style which is a shame since many of them never will experience Final Fantasy VI because of it. So thats why I think FF VI is in far greater need of a real remake then FF VII.
To be fair, many people avoid FFVII due to the polygonal models. At least, I hear that all the time. lol

soup or mann

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Is it just me or does it seem like the internet hates VII after the fact... or, in retrospect. I don't remember many people saying much bad about the game back when it came out and for a good few years after. It seems like the massive VII hate started up on the internet in '05 or '06 and has just kinda snowballed from there. I'm tempted to look at it nowadays like pretty much anything else that becomes mega-popular; Meaning once it does, people automatically start hating on it. I'd be willing to bet that 50% of people on the internet who talk shit about that game nowadays haven't even played it.

Sep 26, 2013
It seems like the massive VII hate started up on the internet in '05 or '06 and has just kinda snowballed from there.
Well... Advent Children did come out in 2005...

I personally think the side projects have ruined FFVII for some people. FFVII is one of those games you just don't touch after it's done. You leave it alone.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
I have never noticed any hate for FF VII. Everyone that I know who likes FF loves FF VII, its like the Beatles of RPGs. Critics also love it and always refer to it as the pinnacle of the series. And I also dont noticed that people hate on the additional VII-games. Crisis Core seems to be loved by everyone, I havent met a single person yet who badmouthed it. Many many people love Zack (he has been voted the most popular male FF character in 2013) and virtually everyone I talked to aid that Crisis Core enriches FF VII and makes it even more epic. It is true that I have met some people who criticized Advent Children for not being on par with FF VII (but please did anybody even expect that? Its just a 2 hour movie) but I havent really noticed people hating on it (Dont mistake criticism for internet raging or hate!)

maybe you just were in the wrong forums :p No seriously but I haven encountered any hatred for FF VII whatsoever. The fans and people I talk to about it either love it or ignore it because they are too spoiled with todays graphics but I havent really seen anybody hate on it. the whole idea of hating on FF VII seems completely ridiculous to me. Its one of the highest rated and most successful videogames of all time and 95 % of all fans I ever talked to love it until this day. Who the hell have you guys been talking to?^^

Personally I think that with the exception of Dirge of Cerberus (which I generally avoid), that Crisis Core and Advent Children have turned FF VII into a really great trilogy and I think that they have made FF VII much more powerful, epic and emotional than it has already been. You have a much greater and more epic sense of the game. When I played FF VII after watching a walkthrough of Crisis Core (including all cutscenes) , playing FF VII definitely was a more emotional and epic experience than ever before and Advent Children might not have been as complex and deep but it was an epic, stunning conclusion for me that gave me even more chills after watching CC and playing VII again. So to me making these additions definitely heightened the experience of FF VII. To be honest I now love FF VII´s universe much more because of it and FF VII itself is more captivating to me now than it was when I first played it.

But well I dont understand where the notion of hating on FF VII comes from, I have never encountered it. I have encountered people coming down on FF VIII and of course the massive (and ridiculous) hatred for everything even remotely connected to FF XIII but personally everywhere I turn to people love and revere VII.

While its true that ever since the HD generation (at least thats when I first noticed it) some people avoid FF VII (though they also avoid VIII and IX for the same reason) because of the (compared to PS2 and PS3) inferior graphics, I still think that especially the casual players rather would play VII then VI so I stand by what I said: FF VI to me is the game that needs the remake treatment the most. Also because it wasnt released in europe in 1994 and never had a chance to create a legacy over here like VII did which is just a damn shame.

FF VI and VII both remain the highest rated FFs in the series with 94 %.

But I REALLY agree with something else you guys said: the internet really spreads negativity like a disease. This is something I have pointed out many times in the last few years myself. Whenever something is really successful or popular, there is always going to be some idiots who rage and hate against it to create negativity just for the sake of it. Because for some reason they cant stand it if something that they are not into is that popular. Its disgusting. But thats the darker side of the Internet I am afraid. It will never stop.

Last edited:

soup or mann

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
@Omegaflare The VII hate is definitely out there. I visit a lot of gaming forums and I've seen it at multiple places over the years, but never really at a Final Fantasy focused site. There's one forum I go to where mass people will flame you and more or less automatically put you on their shit list if you show up with a VII-related avatar or username. I've been posting at that place since 2000, though, and it wasn't always like that. Then again, if the internet were a big city, that site would without a doubt be the ghetto. I have to take that place in doses nowadays.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
@Omegaflare The VII hate is definitely out there. I visit a lot of gaming forums and I've seen it at multiple places over the years, but never really at a Final Fantasy focused site. There's one forum I go to where mass people will flame you and more or less automatically put you on their shit list if you show up with a VII-related avatar or username. I've been posting at that place since 2000, though, and it wasn't always like that. Then again, if the internet were a big city, that site would without a doubt be the ghetto. I have to take that place in doses nowadays.
This. It is pretty prevalent that even suggesting that you enjoyed FFVII puts you on a bunch of people's shit lists.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
This. It is pretty prevalent that even suggesting that you enjoyed FFVII puts you on a bunch of people's shit lists.
Well so far in my experience it has always been "PSOne FFs good, PS3 FFs bad" with most of the "haters" that I met. If it now has come to it that they even hate on FF VII I´ll have to ask myself what kind of a shitty fandom this has become. I mean seriously. If you hate the possibly most important game of the entire series, then what Final Fantasy games do you even like? Or are the VII-haters that you come across not even actual Final Fantasy-fans ?

Anyway I couldnt care less if I would be on the "shitlist" of people like that. I mean what kind of scum do you have to be anyway to rage and hate against someone for loving a game? And for loving a game that to 90 % in the FF-fandom is universally beloved? Whats their problem with FF VII anyway? Thats about as low to me as racist and fascist behavior. Just another kind of intolerance and inhuman attitude that I just cant tolerate.

Anybody who hates against people who love something they dont is a troll anyway. And anybody who hates against Final Fantasy VII doesnt know shit about this series. It has a 94 % metacritic score, sold 10 million copies worldwide and is beloved by the majority of all true fans of the series. There is a reason for that. Even Square has repeatedly said that its one -if not the - one of the most beloved games and characters in their history. Those haters should just go and fuck themselves. Sry but just hearing about such mindless hating just for the sake of it and giving fans personal shit for loving the game just enrages me so much.

This is precisely why I do not visit a lot of gaming forums and am only here now. I am so sick of this hater bullshit. As I said - its a disease. Why is the internet so full of this hating on everything?

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Anyway I couldnt care less if I would be on the "shitlist" of people like that. I mean what kind of scum do you have to be anyway to rage and hate against someone for loving a game? And for loving a game that to 90 % in the FF-fandom is universally beloved? Whats their problem with FF VII anyway? Thats about as low to me as racist and fascist behavior. Just another kind of intolerance and inhuman attitude that I just cant tolerate.
Er, what the hell. Just because someone doesn't like a game doesn't mean they're as bad as racists and fascists. There are plenty of games I hate. That's the beauty of an opinion. Everyone has em. It's just that as time goes on, there's people who were so turned off by the polygonal look of the game that it put off the whole experience. I don't blame them. The in-game stuff doesn't hold up as well since it came out at a time when developers were still trying to get a grasp on how to model things in 3D. Personally, I love it, but that's just how I feel.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
You dont get it. Its not about disliking a game. I dislike some games that others love too. I am talking about hating on PEOPLE, harassing them, giving them personal shit and possibly insulting them and putting them down for loving a certain game. If you want to endorse that go ahead. But to me thats as low as being racist. Racists hate on people for being from a different country or for having a different skin color. language or religion. the people that I am talking about hate on people for loving something. Racism is more violent and extreme but its the same principle to me. Thats just not how you treat another human being. And if you do then you´re scum in my book. Simple as that. But you go ahead and protect people like that...

Last edited: