Are the character designs going to affect the sales of Final Fantasy XV

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Every where I go people are complaining about the character designs. And you know what they say they look like a jpop band. Alot of people are being turned off to this game simply because of that. How much do you think the character designs of Noctics and Co. are going to affect the sales of this game?

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
I like XV's character designs and I don't see why it would affect the sales negatively. I also don't see much difference between those designs and other Final Fantasy games of the past decade. Either you like those Nomura Final Fantasy characters or you don't.

I think it's just a vocal minority that keeps saying this boyband crap. But I'd really like to hear from those people what they think is a good (Final Fantasy) character design.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Complaint about Nomura´s JPoP characters design don´t do the same with Amano´s androgynous and bishonen characters design (which easily are more androgynous and bishonen than Nomura's in that category)

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Complaint about Nomura´s JPoP characters design don´t do the same with Amano´s androgynous and bishonen characters design (which easily are more androgynous and bishonen than Nomura's in that category)
Completely agreed!
Imo Amano is extreeeeeemely overhyped as a designer. Don't get me wrong I love many of his artworks but I never liked his character designs.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Completely agreed!
Imo Amano is extreeeeeemely overhyped as a designer. Don't get me wrong I love many of his artworks but I never liked his character designs.
Also Nomura at least bothers to write them(for the better or worst) not only do nice drawings.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
It's kind of a joke that they look like the Backstreet Boys or something, but FF has always been about ridiculous designs. Lightning has pink hair for God's sake. Vaan wears something that looks like a bra. Tidus... well... you get the idea.

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
I hate this as well. They dress in black because that's the Lucis family color. They're a mix between royalty and a mafia, and mafias tend to dress in the same colors. Also J-pop? Their style is more punk inspired, if anything else.

But that's not the part i don't get. The part that confuses me is how people keep saying Noctis looks androgynous, but then some of those same people start complaining about his English voice being masculine.

How much do you think the character designs of Noctics and Co. are going to affect the sales of this game?
Honestly? Barely any, I'll say.

The overwhelming majority of commentators comparing the crew to the Backstreet Boys will still buy the game. If not, feel free to remind them that the franchise has seen much, much, much worse atrocities (*cough* denizens of Spira and much of the crew from Dirge of Cerberus).

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
If not, feel free to remind them that the franchise has seen much, much, much worse atrocities (*cough* denizens of Spira and much of the crew from Dirge of Cerberus).
Cause having normal clothing was too mainstream, Spira people were Hipters before it became cool :woot:.

Feb 21, 2015
I dont think most people notice that all the black that Noctis and his entourage wear is an intentional thematic design for Lucis. I mean look at the villains like Idola and the hooded man they wear alot more white. Stella wears black and white. It aids to the theme "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." The villians are hidden per say. Who is good and who is bad is up to interpertation.

Really all the people who just blatently say that they are a jpop band are ignorant of the themes. Thats all...

Will it affect the sales, probably not a lot lol :happy:

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
The only one I really can't get used to is the one with the bright bleach blonde hair. His hair looks so ridiculous IMO that it's distracting when I don't think his original design was weird (just bland, I think bleaching his hair was enough to make him stand out because it's a distinctive color). Before you point out other FF games I hated Wakka's hair too lol, but his entire getup was so goofy it somehow worked. The fashionable menswear makes the silly looking hair an eyesore.

I think the other characters in the "boy band" (hehehe) look fine. Not visually eye-catching, but not bad otherwise.

While part of me wishes there was more visual variety, because I still have a hard time telling characters apart who aren't Noctis, I also get what they are going for and it makes sense in context. I just wonder if they're going to do much to differentiate these characters from NPCs because their coloring/silhouettes are so drab.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Eurogamer has the words boyband in there description of the FFXV demo footage

and holy crap the comments on that article do not read them.

Feb 21, 2015
I wouldn't worry to much about it. Most of it seems like playful fun or just trying to get on other people's nerves. People see the potential even if they say "negative" things.
Also, who knows what kind of compition Square has. Sometimes it's just business to pay people or sites to spread bad things about a game that is competition. Not that I'm bashing Eurogamer, I don't really know anything about them.

The fact here is, if they can only prey on the aesthetic boy band aspect and not the gameplay, music, world, character personalities and themes. Final Fantasy XV is doing pretty well. =]

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
If people are bitching about the character designs, they don't know what they're talking about, and their opinion is invalid. I understand that people are allowed to agree and disagree with each other. But anyone that thinks the cast is just an emo boy band clearly hasn't watched any of the videos or looked into the game at all.

The comments on that site are horrendous.

I imagine the Japanese audience in general has a different view, as they tend to prefer a young protagonist who is coming of age as opposed to westerners, who lean towards seasoned protagonists.

I think, in the end, it all boils down to how SE decide to promote their game in the next months. I wouldn't look too deep into the character designs' influence on sales. FF has always had uncommon protagonists (by western standards) such as Vaan, Terra, Lightning, etc, yet their main titles have always managed to sell despite those factors.

And besides, there's always Cor Leonis lol

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2015
If you actually look at the site it only has 78 or so comments. And at least a million or more people know about this game. The commenters, at least the negative ones, are a mass minority. I'm seeing more positive views as time goes on than negative ones.

All the negative views only find the character designs wrong and really nothing else besides the hybrid real time combat.

1. They don't know the character's personalities. So they can't really judge effectively a book by its cover.
2. They haven't played the game and are only taking it at face value.
Honestly Tabata, Nomura and team are mashing all the right things that have worked in the past together to rejuvenate the franchise.

Kingdom Hearts, Classic Final Fantasy designs and staples. Also a little bit of classic flare in the gameplay as well.

Honestly I'm not worried, and if they don't like it. I know from what I've seen over the past 9 years, I will.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Eh, it's alright for people not to like these designs. The problems I have are mostly with the clothes, but that's Roen's fault. Other than that, the characters really look like something straight out of a FF. The only difference is the lack of, uh diversity. They are all guys that are probably the same age, whereas past FFs have been about characters of different genders, races, ages, heights, etc. You get the idea.