Best Final Fantasy Game

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Best Final Fantasy game

• Total voters

ChrisB

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 25, 2014
Over the years final fantasy has been one of the most played Series in the gaming industry so which one is your favourite and why

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Still a spare slot to sneak another one in lol, but not to worry. Bit of a shame there's a 10-slot limit!

Well, sticking with FF9 as what I think is the 'best.' FF7's my fave, but I do think FF9 captures everything to love about the series tremendously well.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
I can't bring myself to call any one but VI my own favorite. Call it overrated by the virtue that it's so widely loved, but I've replayed it more than any other FF, and still want to invest more playthroughs.

IV and IX are the other two in my top 3. As Azuardo pointed to, they both capture the soul of Final Fantasy, for me.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Final Fantasy VI. Played it when it came out on the SNES. Great cast of characters you actually care for, great plot twists that keep you interested, memorable music that works well, great story that's easy to understand and get into, does a good job with the themes of friendship and love, an exciting villain who ctually succeeds and achieves his goals, great world design... Best Final Fantasy game! :)

Last edited:

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
I would have to say story wise FF6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 13. Gameplay wise, 10 (SPHERE GRID), 7 (MATERIA), 8(DRAW), 12(LICENSE BOARD).

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
For me it'll always and forever be about FF9, I feel. To me, it represents the very best of what FF is and can be on all levels - with, perhaps, one notable flaw. It has a wonderful, heartfelt story with well-sketcehd characters with real personality. It's equally light hearted and dark and ominous, and tackles some important real life issues - things like terminal illness, post-traumatic stress, death, familial problems, and so on - but holds on to a youthful soul. The battle system is smart and fun - it's just a little slow, its one deadly flaw. But nothing's perfect... but FF9 is, IMO, about as close as you can get.

May 26, 2014
Well, X was my first one and I played it with my cousin, so I have a lot of fond memories of it.

In the end though I have to go with IX. Such a great game in so many ways (as others have already pointed out). I always liked how IX was never afraid to be quirky as hell. I appreciated that.

It also contains what is probably my single favorite quote in the entire FF series.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Yeah that game shined a lot of light on Zack. It also showed Sephiroth as a kind albeit unapproachable person. There were a few times they talked that I could showed it was a shame he lost his mind. And of course that sweet battle cg scene of Angeal, Genesis, anr Seph sparring.

ChrisB

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 25, 2014
Looks like final fantasy 9
Is winning ATM with 6 being second and 7 In third place seems like square enix has gone backward with the newer games

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Looks like final fantasy 9
Is winning ATM with 6 being second and 7 In third place seems like square enix has gone backward with the newer games
Yes and no. There are many reasons why a game is someone's favourite. I'll use myself as an example. My favourite FF is FFVI, and I gave that my vote in the poll, but that doesn't mean I think it's the best FF. I actually think the best FF is FFIX, FFX and FFXIV: ARR. But I will answer the same way every time if someone ask me which one is my favourite: FFVI. It was my first JRPG, it was part of my childhood and have a special memory for me. It's a biased answer.

I think the only "downhill" the Final Fantasy series really did have, from my honest opinion, is FFXIII. It was deeply flawed and the expectation it built before the release of the game was never met. Unfortunately, FFXIII was the only main entry number FF since 2006 (FFXIV is a MMO, as much as I like it to be, it will never be compared the same as a single player FF), that's 8 years! So it's easy to think that the series really gone downhill because "in 8 years, no good Final Fantasy has came out", but in reality, one main entry FF flopped: FFXIII. I never consider XIII-2 and Lightning Return as the main entry, they were games SQE needed to repair some of the damages XIII (and XIV pre-relaunch) made.