Big PS4 Announcement at TGS According to Former Famitsu Editor in Chief

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Big PS4 Announcement Coming at a Game Show from Major Developer According to Kadokawa Honcho
Former Famitsu Editor in Chief and Kadokawa and Enterbrain head honcho Hirokazu Hamamura is one of the men best positioned to be in the know of what’s going to happen in the Japanese gaming industry, and yesterday he held a special seminar at the YouTube Space Tokyo in Roppongi Hills as part of the the YouTube Gamers’ Day event.

During the seminar Hamamura-san mentioned that the performance of the PS4 in Japan isn’t as good as expected, and while the numbers aren’t terrible per se, it cannot be denied that they pale in comparison to sales in North America and Europe.

He continued by revealing that despite the fact that the Japanese market is by its own nature dominated by mobile games, talking to a major developer he heard that at a game show there will be a big announcement that could help accelerate Sony’s new console’s local performance.

Hamamura-san did not explicitly mention which game show he was talking about, but he used the anglicized version “gemushou,” which in Japan normally indicates Tokyo Game Show. Considering that he’s talking about the Japanese market, it would only make sense for the announcement to happen at TGS.

What will the announcement be about? That’s a complete mystery, and while Hamamura-san’s wording seems to indicate a third party developer, he did not give any further details. The most probable theory is a PS4 release of a very popular Japanese franchise, and there are quite a few candidates there, including Tales of, Persona, Dragon Quest (Square Enix recently mentioned that the possibility of the franchise returning to Sony consoles exists) and more.

Unfortunately we’ll have to wait for the announcement in order to know for sure.

Source: Famitsu

Any guesses? Sounds like it's going to be a title that will move PS4's in Japan.

My initial thought was Monster Hunter, but Tri's relatively weaker performance on the Wii, and its subsequent major success when ported to the 3DS seems to suggest that Capcom would rather keep the series on handhelds.

Ah, I dunno. It doesn't specifically state that it has to be an unannounced game. If it is something unannounced, the things that can rupture Japan would be something like Dragon Quest XI for PS4, which I'm not betting any money on. Then watch as Square-Enix refuse to localise it.

EDIT: It's probably going to be nothing that exciting.

Sep 26, 2013
I don't really see it being Monster Hunter. Think Nintendo has that on lock. They know damn well how important that game is in Japan as it's a big reason for PSP's success.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Is Dragon Quest a title that can move PS4's? While it sounds 3rd party, can it be a large-scale game from Japan Studio?

May 26, 2014
Is Dragon Quest a title that can move PS4's? While it sounds 3rd party, can it be a large-scale game from Japan Studio?
Dragon Quest is one of - if not the - most popular video game franchises in Japan. And it's from Square Enix btw, not Japan Studio. So yes, it is 3rd party. =)

Yup.

Well, looking at Famitsu's most wanted games lists, presuming for a moment that it is representative of Japan, Persona 5's consistently been either near the top, or at the top. Not sure whether they'd agree to moving it exclusively to the PS4 though, because I'd imagine Atlus would have cold feet at the thought of exchanging a platform with a relatively large install base for one that's thin on the ground.

But someone will have to take that risk, and fire the initiative shot to help move PS4 units.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Yup.

Well, looking at Famitsu's most wanted games lists, presuming for a moment that it is representative of Japan, Persona 5's consistently been either near the top, or at the top. Not sure whether they'd agree to moving it exclusively to the PS4 though, because I'd imagine Atlus would have cold feet at the thought of exchanging a platform with a relatively large install base for one that's thin on the ground.

But someone will have to take that risk, and fire the initiative shot to help move PS4 units.
I'd love if Persona 5 was released for PS4. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

hui43210

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
Ottawa, On
Just saying yes would be an understatement, Persona is huge in Japan, hell I'm demanding it myself be it PS3 or PS4. Thats the upside to all this, even if there is no FFXV it looks TGS will finally be the start of games I want to play for my PS4.

Sep 26, 2013
Well yeah. A game that sells around a couple hundred thousand copies is considered "big" nowadays in Japan.

As the game is coming out for PS3, I don't think Persona 5 would help the PS4 in Japan much. The game needs to be PS4 exclusive. PSVita probably could have done a bit better if it weren't for all these cross generation titles that were available on platforms with an established user base.