Bravely Default Discussion

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
I am really digging this cheerful little JRPG. What does everyone else think?

I'd also like to get some of you added via the social features, so post your code please :)

gaiages

:<
Site Staff
Sep 26, 2013
Florida
It's like the best game in forever.

I read through the Writings in D's Journal today, and good gracious, is that shiznit weird. Here are my thoughts: (spoilers, I'm at the end of Chapter 3)

See, you think you know what happened, but then the writings on the whole lava tunnel area throws everything I thought for a loop. The whole thing with Egil falling was practically transcribed word for word... of course, until Edea attacks the owner of the journal and whatnot. The whole of the journal minus a couple weird sticking points makes you think that Ringabel is Aternis, and is sort of backed up in the game cutscenes (the one time we see Aternis confront the party, Ringabel just *happens* to step outside), but then that entry and the subsequent ones were the writer is severely injured and whatnot, that clearly couldn't be Ringabel, since I'm sure the party would notice him being gone for a couple months and all.

So instead of thinking that it was some kinda multiple personality disorder/faked amnesia thing, now I'm just thinking it's the BD equilvalant to that silly plot thread with Kain in the After Years... which would very certainly be silly. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

...I guess there's also the whole "there's no one even in the armor" theory and Ringabel's communicating through the armor, but... uh, I dunno.

Other than that, playing with all the classes is a lot of fun. I also like that I can turn off battles whenever I want; sometimes I want to grind out JP, other times I just want to walk somewhere without getting hassled :p

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
It's a great game. Best 'FF' game in a damn long time.

Battle system is awesome, and all the little options for turning encounters off and changing difficulties is so appreciated. Random battles really put me off RPGs these days, so having control over that is great.

English VA is sadly a downfall, and I cringe at some of the script (like that old man in the forest...), but there are some highs, too.

Edea in particular has a good VA and she's easily the best character in the game, for me. Ringabel is a laugh, but I feel like the whole 'ladies man' thing goes on way too much, too often.

The town locations are beautiful. I love what they've done with how the camera zooms out to show an almost water painting-like image. It's just a shame the dungeons throw all of that out the window, and resort to harking back to NES/SNES FF games with so much blandness and blackness in those top-down maze-like areas. Job costumes are wonderful, though.

I won't talk about late-game stuff incase people haven't got that far yet (I got it Day One in Europe, so beat it a couple of months back), but overall, it's a great game and certainly one to get if you like classic FF.

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
I really enjoyed the demo and completed everything I could,I tried experimenting with different combinations of the classic FF jobs and the traditional monster/dungeons/towns artwork is fantastic
I am thinking of buying it but some people say that the storyline gets really bad after chapter 5 :rolleyes:
Still I miss the classic FF turn based battle system with jobs:)

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Without saying too much, I did have issues with the final hours of the game's story. But the rest of it makes up for it. The jobs and battle system really are great.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
What are some must-have jobs and abilities you all found yourself using throughout the game?
Let's see... I relied mostly on these:

Valkyrie - Crescent Moon, Judgment, Spirit Barrier
Pirate - Double Damage and various enemy stat-reducing abilities like Shell Split
White Mage - Angelic Ward
Black Mage

I do remember using Red Mage and Ninja a fair bit, too. Having both black and white magic on one character with Red Mage was useful, and the counter abilities of Ninja were great, too.

Started it last night and I'm already at the old man's place in the forest. The game is EXCELLENT to put it bluntly. It reminds me a lot of my adventures in Final Fantasy V. I just love it. I'm currently using Knight Tiz, Black Mage Agnés, White Mage Edea and Thief Ringabel.

Nov 29, 2013
Any advice on how to use the Merchant and Time Mage¿ They seem kinda... useless.
Pay to Play by Merchant increases crit rate by a lot. Using it three times on a character increases their crit rate to 1000%, which is the max. Unless you're using an axe, this pretty much guarantees a critical hit when that person uses an attack, which is equivalent to double of the usual damage. Hedge Risk halves damage on the user, which may be useful in a pinch. If you use the Healing Lore support ability from Salve Maker, I believe it improves the amount of HP/MP restored when you buy an item using the Pharmacy skill. Also, if money farming is your thing, there are AFK pg farming techniques that utilise Merchant's Big Pharma to constantly heal and extract payment from the enemy.

As for Time Mage, Regen and Reraise are your most useful skills. Reraise is always helpful, while Regen recovers 3% of HP per turn, so it's more useful for boss fights that drag on without the bosses dealing constant damage towards your party (Kamiizumi, Kikyo, Victoria, Braev are a few examples). Regen also overwrites Poison and vice versa, if you didn't know. It would be wise to invest in the Black Mage's Group-Cast All support ability so you can have these buffs on your characters using only one cast each. Haste and Slow are also useful for moments when it's important for your characters to act first during the next turn.

I just finished this game a few days ago and I think it's pretty good. Don't think I've ever experienced a final boss segment as amazing as this game's. I also found it amusing that I beat the game the same way I did FFV, which was by spamming Mimic. Got Agnes to use Pirate's Torrent or Amped Strike to hit for 9999 damage, then had everyone else except Ringabel Brave and Mimic her. Ringabel's defense and healing were both really high, and he was equipped with a Ribbon, so the strategy was relatively safe lol

It was a pleasant surprise for me to find out that the lead writer was responsible for Steins;Gate and the composer was the same guy who did Shingeki no Kyojin's opening theme. I'm quite happy that both of them are working on Bravely Second.

My 3DS code is 5129-2351-0368.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2013
Do you have a strong summon attack set that I could use? I've been trying to accumulate some friends with strong summons to plough the final boss with. I will add you anyway :)

My FC: 4253-3674-1282
I have a 9999 damage attack sent out. Not sure if it's a special or a normal attack since I've been playing lots of Pokemon X lately, but if you want it to be a special I can certainly send one.

Edit: Yep, it's a special. I'll send a new one if you still need a summon later on so don't be afraid to use it ^_^

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Thanks :) I don't know if I'll use whatever current one you have set atm just yet, as I want to make sure I have a few friend summons ready to hopefully ensure I kill the final boss easily enough lol.

Actually, any final boss tips would be handy on top of it, if you have any.

I put the game down for far too long and struggled on it after trying again recently. It regenerates its health, which was annoying. It may in fact be the second to last boss - I'm not sure. But it's on the true ending path for sure.

Nov 29, 2013
The final boss has multiple phases, and in some of them it's meant to regenerate health. In the first phase, you have to deal enough damage (it might be in one turn, I don't know) to trigger a cutscene which stops its regeneration. You'll battle him for a bit, then later on the boss will be able to regenerate health again, but those occasions will be scripted events.

You found a Ribbon in the final dungeon right? I suggest that you equip it on your main healer since the boss likes to spam his Death attack. If you've got a Lvl 2 Conjurer, having the Steady MP Recover support ability is going to help you lots for the amount of healing you're going to do. I personally equipped Ringabel (my healer) with two shields, then equipment which raised mind. His support abilities were Holy One (Spiritmaster), Steady MP Recover, Dual Shields (Knight) and Anti-Magic (Spell Fencer). I focused on him being both extremely durable as well as a strong healer at the expense of being able to deal damage.

I'm not sure if this set-up will work for you though. When I fought the final boss I was already Lvl 99 with all jobs maxed out. Ringabel was rarely ever close to dying when I used that method, and never had trouble reviving everyone else. Even so, I made sure to have the Reraise buff up at all times, since Brave Points don't go up if a person is KO'd (and I'd be spending too much MP casting Arise).

Everyone was a Freelancer when I fought the final boss.

Edit: Just to add. There will be certain moments when the boss (either penultimate or final boss) will cast a debuff that makes you weak to all elements. If it happens, casting Dispel on everyone gets rid of it. Keep in mind doing so will remove your buffs as well. So if that's not your thing, you could alternatively use Spiritmaster's abilities to counter it.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
That is helpful info. I will try to apply that to me. Thanks.

Any good suggestions for easy EXP spots?

Nov 29, 2013
It was somewhere north-east of Florem, right below a dungeon (Witherwoods, I think?). If you're planning on grinding, make sure you have Growth Egg from Norende Village so that you'll obtain double the usual EXP and JP. The accessory costs 500k.