"Chaos Rings III Prequel Trilogy" (Vita) and "Chaos Rings III" (iOS/Android) Announced

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Square Enix Japan Registered a Trademark for "Prequel Trilogy"
Instead of making sequels to one of their key franchises, Square Enix may be developing a string of prequels. Square Enix Japan registered a trademark for Prequel Trilogy for use with video games in Japan. The question is what series will Square Enix make three prequels for? Final Fantasy VII? Romancing SaGa? Kingdom Hearts? Final Fantasy XIII: Prequel Trilogy?
In coming, "Final Fantasy XIII-0: The Lightning Menace", "Final Fantasy XIII-0-2: Attack of the Lightning Clones" and "Final Fantasy XIII-0-3: Revenge of the Lightning".

(Update 8/4/14)

Looks like "Prequel Trilogy" is "Chaos Rings III Prequel Trilogy" and it's for PSVita.

They also announced Chaos Rings III for iOS/Android.

http://app.famitsu.com/20140804_418965/

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
I fear it will end up being for something that doesn't need it or something people do not want.

If it's referring to Final Fantasy, I don't think they'll make three prequels for just one of the numbered titles but instead one prequel for three numbered titles instead. FFVII, FFX and FFXIII are all set up to have prequels.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I'm going to reserve my pessimism until the situation demands it. This could just be a simple legal move that ultimately leads to nothing on the consumer side of things for all we know.

When you've already annoyed most of your fanbase over the years, why not go further along the way of George Lucas?

Companies need to stop pre-emptively deciding to make trilogies to anything, especially a "prequel trilogy", which sounds like instant saturation. What happened to the days of gauging, with the base/first game, whether it's any good, and what the general reception is, before investing any further? Why this ubiquitous need to assume you're going to hit gold even before the first of the three games are out?

Especially you, Square-Enix. If there is actually a trilogy of prequels coming, or are at least planned, and if they're not small projects for mobile or anything, you have evidently learnt nothing from last generation.

If this is not a trilogy of three prequel games, but rather, a moniker for an existing trilogy, with a planned succeeding game to follow, I have no idea what this might be. Kingdom Hearts I, II and III (with planned future games?)? That doesn't sound 100% right, as the handheld titles are also important story-wise. FFVII? Will anything be joining with Crisis Core and Before Crisis as a "prequel trilogy" in the lead-up to FFVII itself? Or, if anyone wants to watch the world burn, Lightning Saga to be suddenly renamed the "prequel trilogy" to make way for more FFXIII sequels somehow?

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I imagine it's not on 3DS for the same reason Final Fantasy Type-0 wasn't ported to the 3DS. Both games don't target Nintendo's demographic.

I haven't played the Chaos games so I don't know. However, Nintendo has always had a demographic issue. Targeting kids and families is why it makes zero sense for 3rd party developers to put games like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto and Skyrim on a Nintendo platform.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Chaos Rings III Is About The Journey To A Mythical Blue Planet
Square Enix recently shared a first look at Chaos Rings III: Prequel Trilogy, the PlayStation Vita’s version of Chaos Rings III. The official website also shared a few new details including the game’s story and details on two key characters.

New Paleo is a coastal city located on the floating continent found in the vast skies. It is here, where adventurers from around the world gather for their dreams and desires… in order to get to the far-off heavens, the planet “Marble Blue”.

Treasure, unexplored areas, mystical creatures, and myths, the blue planet has everything adventurers could ask for, making it very well worth risking their lives.
In a small town located far away from the city, lived Nasca, along with his younger sister and livestock. After hearing a mysterious voice which led Nasca to the garden, he meets a beautiful lady.

She tells him: “You must go…. to the mother planet that shines in the heavens—Marble Blue”.

A world that has yet to be discovered, with treasures that can grant any wish. A myth that will be talked about until the end of time. It is here, where the grand journey of a thousand years of thoughts, begins.

Nasca:

Nasca is a 16-year old boy who lives with his sister Patty on the floating island Sierra located in the second satellite called Thea. After finding himself in a mysterious garden, and meeting a beautiful lady, he decides to go to the Marble Blue.

Since he was a young child, it’s been his dream to find the “Paradisos,” a mythical paradise that is considered Marble Blue’s biggest mystery.

Leary:

Leary is a young girl who decides to take the Explorer License exam together with the protagonist. While living in the suburbs of the floating island New Paleo, her father and only blood relative, got taken away by an unknown person. Leary then decides to go to Marble Blue, to seek her father and the criminal who took him away.

Chaos Rings III is slated for release in Japan on October 16, 2014 for PlayStation Vita, iOS, and Android.