Dragon Quest

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

masterlobo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 23, 2013

Any Dragon Quest fans here?

The series is kinda fading into oblivion outside of Japan...with subpar ports to iOS being the only signs of it being alive.

We are missing some major recent releases...but I would say most importantly:
1. Dragon Quest VII on 3DS
2. Dragon Quest X on Wii, Wii U, PC

Is anybody else here bummed about the current state of the series in the west?

masterlobo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 23, 2013
The mobile ports are terrible for a plethora of reasons. To cite a few:
  • Portrait mode
  • Touch controls
  • Lower framerate (very noticeable at times in DQ VIII, not just being picky)
Not to mention they are ports of existing versions in NA (VIII is PS2 version, IV is DS version).

Meanwhile we're missing the following titles...

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D

Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Marvelous Mysterious Key

Dragon Quest VII

Dragon Quest X

May 26, 2014
For some reason I was never able to get into Dragon Quest. I love JRPGs so I thought I would love DQ as well, but when I tried the DS remake of V, I found myself completely unengaged and straight up bored. Don't really know why. I'm ok with silent protagonists. I'm ok with turn based. Heck, I'm even ok with lots of grinding. Just didn't like the game for whatever reason and never touched the series again.

Not gonna lie though, really digging the visuals on those 3DS games.

masterlobo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 23, 2013
For some reason I was never able to get into Dragon Quest. I love JRPGs so I thought I would love DQ as well, but when I tried the DS remake of V, I found myself completely unengaged and straight up bored. Don't really know why. I'm ok with silent protagonists. I'm ok with turn based. Heck, I'm even ok with lots of grinding. Just didn't like the game for whatever reason and never touched the series again.

Not gonna lie though, really digging the visuals on those 3DS games.
Maybe the lack of an epic storyline? DQ's stories are usually told in a more light-hearted way. With each town having its own problems, they feel more of an episodic RPG. Kinda like a TV show honestly.

It's a different approach, I do like it though :)

May 26, 2014
Maybe the lack of an epic storyline? DQ's stories are usually told in a more light-hearted way. With each town having its own problems, they feel more of an episodic RPG. Kinda like a TV show honestly.

It's a different approach, I do like it though :)
Y'know now that you mention it, that's probably it. Didn't even notice it until now myself, but that's probably why I couldn't get into it. Though if I remember correctly V did have some sort of overarching storyline about finding some mythical armor/weapon/whatever in order to
avenge your father's death or something.
Wasn't too prevalent though.

Maybe I'll try the series again one day. I still don't think I'd like it, but it couldn't hurt. Any DQ games in particular that stand out amongst the rest?

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Y'know now that you mention it, that's probably it. Didn't even notice it until now myself, but that's probably why I couldn't get into it. Though if I remember correctly V did have some sort of overarching storyline about finding some mythical armor/weapon/whatever in order to

Maybe I'll try the series again one day. I still don't think I'd like it, but it couldn't hurt. Any DQ games in particular that stand out amongst the rest?
Try Dragon Quest VIII for the Playstation 2.

masterlobo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 23, 2013

Yeah there is an overarching plot in all DQs. And they aren't bad, but honestly, nothing mind blowing, different, etc. DQ is definitely more about the journey than the destination.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/3...est-vii-3ds-west-arent-sure-itll-sell-enough/

DQ VII 3DS hasn't been in any sort of pipeline, apparently. SE are concerned about potential sales. Nintendo apparently doesn't want to handle this.

*bites tongue painfully*

When no Dragon Quest localization announcements were made at E3, a social media campaign called "Operation Hero" was started, with the stated mission of clamoring for the localization of DQ VII 3DS and DQ X. SE have apparently heard the cries of fans, but still haven't heard enough.

Now is the time to make yourself known. Support Operation Hero at the following links:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Hero/324420011042007

https://twitter.com/OperationH3ro

https://www.change.org/p/square-eni...quest-10-on-wii-u-3ds-pc-to-the-us-and-europe

Shooting off e-mails to various persons and organizations would be greatly productive, as well. Becoming active in SE's Twitter feeds, Facebook pages, and official forums are a few ways to help this initiative along.

May 26, 2014
Nintendo has always been on board with Dragon Quest though. They've had more success with the series in the west than Square Enix has. Not even sure why Nintendo wouldn't be down to bring this over, especially after Bravely Default (and, less recently, Dragon Quest IX).

Bremaine

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Aug 31, 2014
A few of my friends say I need to start playing the games. I have maybe played one in the series and it was ages ago, maybe it's time I change that very soon, because I hear nothing but great things.

Sep 26, 2013
Nintendo has always been on board with Dragon Quest though. They've had more success with the series in the west than Square Enix has. Not even sure why Nintendo wouldn't be down to bring this over, especially after Bravely Default (and, less recently, Dragon Quest IX).
Yes they have. Personally though, I think Nintendo should target DQXI instead.

May 26, 2014
Yes they have. Personally though, I think Nintendo should target DQXI instead.
They could do both. That way VII drums up interest for XI and vice versa. If XI is a Wii U exclusive, that is. Which I could see it being, since Dragon Quest hasn't gone non-Nintendo in years.

Dragon Quest does sell well in the west. Square are being there usual idiot selves.
It does. Nintendo has proven that it can make this series sell in the west. On the other hand, Square Enix hasn't been satisfied with the DQ games they brought over (or at least I'd assume so based on their reluctance to localize anything DQ the past couple of years). I don't know if this is due to the games they brought over actually under-performing, or if it's just another case of SE being all "5 bajillion copies isn't enough!". Hell, maybe SE just doesn't know how to market these things.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
They could do both. That way VII drums up interest for XI and vice versa. If XI is a Wii U exclusive, that is. Which I could see it being, since Dragon Quest hasn't gone non-Nintendo in years.
I'm thinking in terms of Japan really. Not so much the west. Failure to get DQXI is going to hurt. Maybe it is already coming to the platform or they have secured exclusive rights to it. I don't know. All I know is that it's a pretty big fucking deal in Japan and is a game changer much like Monster Hunter is. So if Nintendo is weighing their options, they should target DQXI as 3DS is not in a terrible spot right now and the Wii U is.

May 26, 2014
I'm thinking in terms of Japan really. Not so much the west. Failure to get DQXI is going to hurt. Maybe it is already coming to the platform or they have secured exclusive rights to it. I don't know. All I know is that it's a pretty big fucking deal in Japan and is a game changer much like Monster Hunter is. So if Nintendo is weighing their options, they should target DQXI as 3DS is not in a terrible spot right now and the Wii U is.
Oh. Yeah, in terms of Japan, definitely. DQXI exclusivity would make Wii U the system to get. Maybe a little bit in the west too, though not nearly to the same extent.