Fallout

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Frei

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Fallout is a series of post-apocalyptic RPG games inspired heavily by the 1988 game Wasteland, a sequel to which is coming out next year.

Fallout was released in 1997 to wide critical acclaim. It was a turn-based isometric game with a system for character creation: SPECIAL. Black Isle Studios developed it. Today it still runs well on modern machines with graphical patches available.

Fallout 2 is the 1998 sequel, with an improved engine and better NPC companion control. It also featured many pop culture references and silly random encounters. It is also an isometric turn-based game that runs easily on modern machines when patched.

Fallout: Van Buren is the game that we all lost! It was never made. Black Isle disbanded shortly after the cancellation of the third game in the series. It was shaping up to be excellent. Instead we got...

Fallout 3.

Developed by Bethesda and published in 2008 for PC, PS3 and Xbox360, this was a revelation for the Fallout series. It revitalised it and bred a whole new group of fans. It sold so well that not long after...

Fallout: New Vegas.

FNV
was published by Bethesda, but developed by Obsidian Entertainment, which involves many former members of Black Isle Studios (including Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer) and released in 2010. While Fallout 3 was set on the East Coast, FNV took place like its predecessors near the West Coast, in Nevada and California and, briefly, Utah.

The series is set to continue with rumours of Bethesda's Fallout 4 appearing constantly.

The older Fallout games also exist. I didn't even mention Fallout: Tactics or Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. This is because I've never played them, I'm not qualified to talk about them. If anyone is - go ahead!!

Can I stop the formal tone now?

Fallout New Vegas is probably my favourite game ever, and the game I've spent the most time on.

I loved Fallout and I loved Fallout 3. But 3 has nothing on FNV. From the plot to the layout of the map to the gunplay to the writing and the characters, New Vegas is better in every possible way. It's hard to believe how the framework of Fallout 3 could be so easily adapted into a complete and intelligent game.

Even if pressed I'm not sure I could think of a way FO3 is better than FNV. I'm sort of dreading Fallout 4. Bethesda make a beautiful world, but they can't write worth a damn.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Y'know, I like Fallout, but I've never really liked it as much as Elder Scrolls. I did really, really enjoy New Vegas, though - it's proof of how much of a difference writing staff can make and Obsidian undoubtedly have some of the best writers in the business. I sort of hope they might work on FO4, but I know it's unlikely...

Phoenix

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 28, 2013
Aww, but Moira! And let's not forget Liberty Prime, which kept me entertained.

I do love NV (yes, more than 3), but I will say that I never got around to beating it. There was just too much to do, though I did finish 3 but mostly just to see liberty prime stomp around.

Course I also never finished Skyrim; I've beaten both Oblivion and Morrowind, but I managed to botch my character in Skyrim badly enough that I couldn't beat the first fight in the last storyline mission where you fight 3 blood dragons at once or something like that? Seems to be a trend lately of me not finishing things. Not enough time, I suppose

Frei

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Oh Moira can go to hell. Her and her dumb survival guide.

I never was interested enough to beat Skyrim but god knows I've beat NV enough. You can't really gimp a NV character.

Much prefer post-apocalyptia to generic fantasy setting #453.

soup or mann

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Fallout is another western RPG I've tried to get into but can't. I can recognize the quality in it but It just doesn't suit my taste.

fufatch

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 9, 2013
Poland
Here's the thing - averyone should give Fallout: New Vegas a chance.
I had my share of experience with F3 and while I enjoyed it I couldn't bring myself to finish it. The sense of being alone was too much for me. And the emptiness - god! F:NV changed it all - the companions and finally (for me) engaging story that kept me going. It was so good I finished it and it's DLC's too and wanted more.