Favorite RPG's of the Last Generaiton (DS,PSP,WII,PS3,360)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
The Mass Effect thread got me thinking, what my favorite jrpgs have been over this last generation

DS- Radiant Historia, FF Tactics Advance 2
PSP - ZHP, Gungir
WII - Xenoblade, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
PS3 - Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Xillia
360 - Lost Odyssey, Agarest War

Would probably be my top 10

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
JRPGs​

PSP-Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.FF7 Crisis Core,Tactics Ogre,FF Type-0,the remakes of older FFs for the psp

Wii-Xenoblade,The Last Stroy

3DS-KH3D,Fire Emblem Awakening

Xbox360-Lost Odyssey

PS3-FFXIV ARR

Other RPGs​

Demon Souls,Mass Effect,Skyrim,Dragons Dogma,Dark Souls

gaiages

:<
Site Staff
Sep 26, 2013
Florida
DS - The World Ends With You, Magical Starsign, Pokemon HeartGold
PSP - Ys Seven, Generations of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection (still catching up on my PSP games)
360 - Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect
PS3 - Atelier Rorona (need to play the rest), NieR
Wii - Only RPG I've played on the system yet is Pandora's Tower... I have a lot of catching up to do for that system.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Haven't played everything RPGs have had to offer, but from what I've played, probably comes down to this:

DS - TWEWY
PSP - Crisis Core FFVII
Wii - The Last Story, Xenoblade
PS3 - Mass Effect Trilogy

DS - The World Ends With You, Magical Starsign, Pokemon HeartGold
PSP - Ys Seven, Generations of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection (still catching up on my PSP games)
360 - Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect
PS3 - Atelier Rorona (need to play the rest), NieR
Wii - Only RPG I've played on the system yet is Pandora's Tower... I have a lot of catching up to do for that system.
I thought I was the only person who liked magical starsign. hehe

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
PSP- Birth by Sleep, but Phantasy Star Portable 2 is right behind it

PS3- DIsgaea 4, i'd pick KH1.5 but it was my fave for the PS2 years ago

360- Tales of Vesperia..at least until the PS3 port was announced.

DS- I'm not sure if it's considered an RPG but a game called Avalon Code was my fave

Sep 29, 2013
1.Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2
3.Nier
4.Xenoblade Chronicles
5.Ni No Kuni
6.Last Story
7.Crisis Core

Those really stand out.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
@Tsukiyomi Avalon Code was pretty great, but it ended up driving my completionist side of me insane. Those maps would just NEVER hit 100%!
I remember why I never wanted to play it again! After you get the juggling attack, if you are an INCH off on the right spot to inspect, you have to wait a few seconds. That drove me crazy too.

soup or mann

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
PS3: Nier
PSP: Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
360: Tales of Vesperia
3DS: Fire Emblem: Awakening
Wii: Twilight Princess

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
PSP: Crisis Core and Type-0
PS3/X360: Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, NieR, Ni No Kuni, XIV:ARR, and I'm sure LR will be on this list soon.
DS: The World Ends With You, KH:BBS
Birth by Sleep is on PSP. Do you mean 358/2 Days? Or meant to put BBS in the PSP bit?

Seda

Yevonite
Site Staff
Sep 24, 2013
Atlanta, GA
twitter.com
Those who know me already know what I'm going to post here.

The Last Remnant.
(PC)

I didn't have high hopes for this game, characters looked weird, battle system looked weird, some composer I never heard of, spiritual successor to the SaGA series that I'm still not familiar with...

But it completely blew me away, and not only is it my favorite RPG of the last generation, but TLR is my favorite game of the generation regardless of genre, and might be my favorite Square (soft/enix) game, period. Not trying to exaggerate here. First I'll start out with what I didn't like about the game to ground my last statement a bit: most of the main characters are quite weak, unrelatable, and did not gain my sympathy. The narrative itself is passable and uninsulting, with a generic villain character doing generic villain things. There are a few stand out characters though, namely in David Nassau, who is basically the deuteragonist on the game, and Emma Honeywell.

Where the game shined for me was battle and progression systems. There's nothing else out there quite like it. While the game doesn't do a good job explaining several of the mechanics of the game, especially skill and stat progression, if you can get the hang of that - you have a lot of control over how you build you unions and how to proceed in battle. Essentially, without getting into the details, the player can form multiple parties (up to five) of unique characters and use the parties in larger scale battles where both inter and intra-party formations are important to balance. Ultimately you can have 18 characters in your army, but there are more than 30+ you can use. The game lends itself very well to replays, first: there are many more characters than you can effectively use in a single playthrough, and second: there are a variety of skills to tinker with in your builds. The characters will request accessories, weapons and items, as well as ask what type of abilities they should focus on. So not only are there many many cool characters to use, they can be set up pretty differently depending how you respond to their requests. The main character can be built however you want him to, dual wielding, magic, utility, whatever. I have done a playthrough focusing on melee skills, one focusing on magic skills, a balanced playthrough, and most recently I learned how effective morale and trap type skills can be (especially against the dragons!) I fell in love with the battle system, the progression (skills and weapons), the sidequests, the exploration, the amount of customization and amount of control you have in your battle strategy, the variety of locales: some quite wide open, some maze like, and the music variety. Oh the music! Sekito has become a favorite of mine from this soundtrack alone, from upbeat or tense battle tracks to catchy and unique town themes to beautiful 'dungeon' themes, the soundtrack is simply great all around.

What I enjoyed most about the game other than the sheer amount of customization you have in forming your party and strategy are the sheer number of optional quests and areas you can undertake. The main game can probably be beaten in 30/40 hours or so. If you go out and complete the quest log and explore all the areas, completing guild tasks and taking on rare monsters and optional bosses, you'll easily end up over 100. (I'm not arguing that a longer game is necessarily good, just that there is a lot of freedom given to the player in this regard). Other than that , the difficulty of the game is definitely something I also appreciated a lot. There are many challenging battles, boss fights and large scale war-like encounters. I love boss fights, and in my mind, no game does them better than TLR. The sense of satisfaction achieved when you finally see that "Terminated" show up the screen is unmatched.

EvilHero

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Xbox360-Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sontana, The last Remnant, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Final Fantasy XIII and I know im forgetting something...

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I'll think on handheld stuff, but for consoles this gen?

Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Witcher 2, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade. Hasn't been a great gen for JRPGs, imo.

chinparu48

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 4, 2013
Nintendo DS: Dragon Quest IX, Suikoden Tierkreis
PSP: Persona 3 Portable, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles
PS3: Skyrim, Tales of Xillia, Final Fantasy XIII

I'll think on handheld stuff, but for consoles this gen?

Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Witcher 2, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade. Hasn't been a great gen for JRPGs, imo.

I think its been pretty good considering how consoles are selling in japan vs Portables. I am surprised we even got a few to be honest.

Last gen, the systems in the same sales places as this gens consoles. Would not have gotten a single JRPG.

fufatch

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 9, 2013
Poland
If I had to choose one game that stood out of me it would be Nier. A real diamond in the rough. I really don't remember a game with so many weak spots but still somehow manages to have twice as much positive stuff going on about it. The art direction, writing, variety of gameplay, music, memorable characters - they all make for an unforgettable experience.

Other standouts in no particular order:
Fallout: New Vegas
Ni no Kuni
"Tales of" Series
Last Story
Xenoblade
Skyrim