'Final Fantasy XV’ Sends an Important Message About Toxic Masculinity

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

heartimecia

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 2, 2016
Florida
Hi! I was told this would be the appropriate section for this, so I apologize in advance if it isn't.

I'm a writer and current contributor to a wonderful site called FemHype, and following the Uncovered event, I wanted to write a thing about XV and its cast of only men. My goal, more than anything, was to spark a conversation on the subject of masculinity in XV and how the way in which it is being presented so far could turn out to be a really positive and great thing. I wanted to share this article with you all and perhaps we could talk about this kind of thing in the thread!

http://femhype.com/2016/04/07/final-fantasy-xv-sends-an-important-message-about-toxic-masculinity/

Thank you in advance for reading and I look forward to the conversation we could all have about this!

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
I can agree with some of what you're saying, and I really appreciate you bringing up the societal pressure that men must be some kind of Jar head He-man figure. Which is something I rarely ever really see feminists acknowledge. (Granted not all men are like this, most of us throw a middle finger to that standard and live our own way)

However most things of which you stated, I can't entirely get behind. Like how intimate they are with each other. That's an actual thing men in real life tend to do and have done for centuries. We call it "bromance" it's nothing new. And Ignis's behavior is not exclusive to mothers. Fathers take their children's health just as seriously. Your heart is in the right place, but you might need to reanalyze a bit.

Last edited:

dissasterrific

fal'Cie Goddess
Administrator
Site Staff
Mar 6, 2016
cosmos
Nice to see you finally posted it here, Natalie!

This is certainly a great read that I recommend for everyone to read, as the differences in interpretations influenced by their cultural backgrounds are not often discussed as they should be especially in Final Fantasy games.

However most things of which you stated, I can't entirely get behind. Like how intimate they are with each other. That's an actual thing men in real life tend to do and have done for centuries. We call it "bromance" it's nothing new. And Ignis's behavior is not exclusive to mothers. Fathers take their children's health just as seriously. Your heart is in the right place, but you might need to reanalyze a bit.
You may have missed her intention of placing it in light of how the gaming community responds to these traits. Firstly, no matter how normal these things are between men, the general community tends to seclude these feminine traits for females, and yes, it's very narrow-minded but it is the truth. Any display of these traits from men (as backwards as all of this may sound) often make them become a bigger target for immature insults. Therefore seeing them actually very visible in a game is refreshing in a way. Furthermore, the "bromance" defined between Western men is still seen in a different manner compared to the brotherhood present in Eastern Asia specifically, and I'm personally speaking from experience having lived in both cultures; the difference in the level of acceptance in regards with intimacy is noticeable.

Last edited:

Zero

ShinRa SOLDIER
UFFSite Veteran
You may have missed her intention of placing it in light of how the gaming community responds to these traits. Firstly, no matter how normal these things are between men, the general community tends to seclude these feminine traits for females, and yes, it's very narrow-minded but it is the truth. Any display of these traits from men (as backwards as all of this may sound) often make them become a bigger target for immature insults. Therefore seeing them actually very visible in a game is refreshing in a way.
Only a certain a certain type of people in the gaming community will respond negatively to the aspects of the character's personalities and relationships that are pointed out in the article. For the most part, they're gamers who aren't interested in Final Fantasy or Japanese games anyway. That's basically going to be some of the FPS community who's bread and butter are games like CoD, Gears, Halo, etc. People like us are used to this type of cast in games because JRPGs have featured characters with these same personality traits for forever now. I realize that she did point out that this isn't an overly new thing in the article and that it's basically being spotlighted because FFXV is bigger JRPG, but it still simply comes down to different types of people. I don't think that FFXV is going to change many of "those" types of people's minds; Firstly because they probably won't buy the game to begin with and secondly because those people are who they are and if anything changes them it probably won't be a videogame. I agree with what XvoltaireX said, "bromance" is nothing new in real life or in games. All of my real-life friends are like this, and any guy that I met in real life who had something negative to say about it, well, I would immediately classify them as some overly macho douchebag.

The article was well written for sure, and I thought it was interesting to read, but I think the author is placing too much importance on the general opinion of gamers who don't really make for any of the Final Fantasy or JRPG fanbase and, quite frankly, who's opinions aren't worth shit anyway.

Last edited:

dissasterrific

fal'Cie Goddess
Administrator
Site Staff
Mar 6, 2016
cosmos
Only a certain a certain type of people in the gaming community will respond negatively to the aspects of the character's personalities and relationships that are pointed out in the article. For the most part, they're gamers who aren't interested in Final Fantasy or Japanese games anyway. That's basically going to be some of the FPS community who's bread and butter are games like CoD, Gears, Halo, etc. .....

The article was well written for sure, and I thought it was interesting to read, but I think the author is placing too much importance on the general opinion of gamers who don't really make for any of the Final Fantasy or JRPG fanbase and, quite frankly, who's opinions aren't worth shit anyway.
Exactly, the target audience of this article is not specifically including only us who are mostly exposed in these types of relationships being explored, but to the general gaming community. When it comes to the loudest discussions the communities you have mentioned are a huge part of the majority, and so issues like this are not really brought to light enough as they should be. In general the problem of expectations on what defines masculinity is still unfortunately present in games (and in media in general) in this day and age, and it's not harming anyone to start this type of conversation. It's an effort to help on this problem as small as it may be in order to change something, it's not a matter of just ignoring the opinions of those people whose minds won't change.

Last edited:

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
I can agree with some of what you're saying, and I really appreciate you bringing up the societal pressure that men must be some kind of Jar head He-man figure. Which is something I ever really see feminists acknowledge. (Granted not all men are like this, most of us throw a middle finger to that standard and live our own way)

However some things of which you stated, I can't entirely get behind. Like how intimate they are with each other. That's an actual thing men in real life tend to do. We call it "bromance" it's nothing new to us. And Ignis's behavior is not exclusive to mothers. Fathers take their children's health just as seriously. Your heart is in the right place, but you might need to reanalyze a bit.
Nice to see you finally posted it here, Natalie!

This is certainly a great read that I recommend for everyone to read, as the differences in interpretations influenced by their cultural backgrounds are not often discussed as they should be especially in Final Fantasy games.

You may have missed her intention of placing it in light of how the gaming community responds to these traits. Firstly, no matter how normal these things are between men, the general community tends to seclude these feminine traits for females, and yes, it's very narrow-minded but it is the truth. Any display of these traits from men (as backwards as all of this may sound) often make them become a bigger target for immature insults. Therefore seeing them actually very visible in a game is refreshing in a way. Furthermore, the "bromance" defined between Western men is still seen in a different manner compared to the brotherhood present in Eastern Asia specifically, and I'm personally speaking from experience having lived in both cultures; the difference in the level of acceptance in regards with intimacy is noticeable.
You see these things from that perspective because you're labeling them as distinctly feminine or masculine. Caring for the health of a friend or looking out for them is neither feminine or masculine that's basic human concern. Nor is an all male group of friends bonding so closely a feminine or masculine thing, that's everyday family esque friendship. Nor is it a common place thing for men to exclude those traits, because those traits never exclusively belonged to either gender as they are a part of human social nature. Bromance goes as far back as Ancient Rome, (holy shit, which further fits into the game's Italian themes and the character's friendship. Tabata you are a genius)

dissasterrific

fal'Cie Goddess
Administrator
Site Staff
Mar 6, 2016
cosmos
You see these things from that perspective because you're labeling them as distinctly feminine or masculine. Caring for the health of a friend or looking out for them is neither feminine or masculine that's basic human concern. Nor is an all male group of friends bonding so closely a feminine or masculine thing, that's everyday family esque friendship. Nor is it a common place thing for men to exclude those traits, because those traits never exclusively belonged to either gender as they are a part of human social nature. Bromance goes as far back as Ancient Rome, (holy shit, which further fits into the game's Italian themes and the character's friendship. Tabata you are a genius)
But I'm not speaking for myself, I'm speaking for how some big groups of society in general these days view these traits. I personally don't like classifying something has to be masculine or feminine, and my personal perception of things are just like yours. I am not fond of the gender separation that is still so prevalent in a lot of things in our daily lives; just now as a simple small example I wondered why I couldn't wear male clothing in Kingdom Hearts: Unchained X using a female avatar. This article was written in order to contribute in improving this type of situation until society upholds what both of us believe in.

And Natalie may have not discussed it in depth but you should have not missed the point that this "bromance" is simply perceived differently in the West compared to Eastern Asia.

heartimecia

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 2, 2016
Florida
Hi XvoltaireX,

Thanks for joining the conversation! Conversations are always good and should happen, and that was my goal in writing this article. Dissasterrific has responded with a super great response that captures my thoughts, but I'll elaborate.

I have to ask the question: how come you have to call it "bromance"? It's something that I see that happens very often, and it's not like women call our friendships with each other "femmance" or something like that. Don't get me wrong - it's a harmless way of referring to a strong friendship between men, but it also can't be denied that it's similar to the phrase "man tears" - which are just, you know, tears from men; but there's the nagging sense to call them "man tears," whether the guy saying it is joking or not.

It's the same thing with "bromance"; it's just a way of referring to an intimate platonic relationship between men. But there's this tendency to label those things as "man tears" and "bromance" because of masculinity; because men constantly have to reassert it. I, and the rest of the world, know that "bromance" has been a thing in the daily lives of men for centuries upon centuries, but it's not something that is healthily portrayed in the media all that often - especially video games - as simply being an intimate bond between two men.

A similar thing goes to your point about fathers. If I were to sort of use an analogy, it's like saying that nobody should be racist. That's a great and true statement in itself, but we have to recognize that society isn't there yet as a whole, so we must recognize the different inequalities that exist in society. Caring for a child's health is not something that is exclusive or inherent to mothers because not only would that be limiting towards women, but there are many fathers - both single and married - that are wonderful parents. However, it's not like we see single fathers being portrayed all that often in the media - and if we want to get specific, especially in video games. It has always been women who have been naturally portrayed in that way despite the fact that there are many women out there who don't really like kids and may not even want to have them, as well as fathers who really care for their children or would prefer to play a more domestic role in their family lives.

Not sure if it's the best analogy but my point is that in spite of your progressive thinking we aren't there yet as a society, so I wrote the article while taking this into account. And this is without specifically considering the game industry and its extremely rigid views on gender as a whole, as well as the cultural differences between East Asia and the West, as this is a JRPG. Maybe you might want to read up on those differences sometime, as it's definitely interesting to know how other cultures view things differently from our own! I know that I was definitely specific in that healthy and intimate platonic relationships between men is something that hasn't been portrayed in *games* enough, and that the motherhood role is one that has been traditionally given to women - meaning that some women may not enjoy it while other men (like perhaps Ignis) do, and they should be portrayed in those ways a little more often in contrast to the abundance of men who are shown to only shoot guns, forsake emotions, and have only their romantic relationships with women valued in a story. That portrayal happens every now and then, but not as often as some would like to see.

I think we have similar ideas, but I looked at things while taking this context into consideration. You may or may not agree or see my point, which is fine, but I just wanted to give you a response and hopefully clear things up a bit more. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Only a certain a certain type of people in the gaming community will respond negatively to the aspects of the character's personalities and relationships that are pointed out in the article. For the most part, they're gamers who aren't interested in Final Fantasy or Japanese games anyway. That's basically going to be some of the FPS community who's bread and butter are games like CoD, Gears, Halo, etc. People like us are used to this type of cast in games because JRPGs have featured characters with these same personality traits for forever now. I realize that she did point out that this isn't an overly new thing in the article and that it's basically being spotlighted because FFXV is bigger JRPG, but it still simply comes down to different types of people. I don't think that FFXV is going to change many of "those" types of people's minds; Firstly because they probably won't buy the game to begin with and secondly because those people are who they are and if anything changes them it probably won't be a videogame. I agree with what XvoltaireX said, "bromance" is nothing new in real life or in games. All of my real-life friends are like this, and any guy that I met in real life who had something negative to say about it, well, I would immediately classify them as some overly macho douchebag.

Hi Zero! Thank you for reading and commenting.

It is only a certain part of the gaming community, but it is a big one. The gaming community has some nice counter-examples to traditions, especially with the ever-increasing indie scene, but it is still predominantly white/male/cisgender/straight, etc with those titles that you have listed as some of the titles with the most revenue and sales. My target audience wasn't just the people who play Final Fantasy; I know people who grow up playing games with wonderfully written leading ladies and men like Tidus and all sorts of awesome things are probably a bit more generally progressive.

If anything, the general Final Fantasy community probably wasn't my intended audience at all. My main audience intended for this article was the general gaming community, as the gaming community as a whole is accepting of very specific and narrow definitions of gender. I know we're used to seeing these types of things explored because Final Fantasy has always been pretty progressive for the most part; it's the overall gaming community and culture that isn't as a whole.

Perhaps you're right; it's unlikely that this will directly change the minds of most people who play it, and most people who have this mindset might not even have much of an interest in the game. But the more these types of things are portrayed, the more open people will generally become over time, and it might influence some developers to be more open and accepting to this type of thing. Maybe some will start to think something like, "Hey. This game did this really well, and this is clearly something a lot of the fans really enjoyed. Why not do this with one or two men in our game?"
People who consume said game might become more open to the idea, etc.

Phew, super long post, sorry! But thank you for joining the conversation despite whether you agree much or not. Again, I think conversations are great things to have as long as they're respectful.
This article was written in order to contribute in improving this type of situation until society upholds what both of us believe in..
And a big ol' thank you to my friend Dissasterrific for really summarizing my thoughts accurately in their replies, as well as adding new perspectives to the conversation. This was definitely my intention. I think we all want to see what is happening in XV as upheld in society as a normal thing regardless of what the genders of the people involved are; sadly, we're just not there yet.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2013
Hi! I was told this would be the appropriate section for this, so I apologize in advance if it isn't.

I'm a writer and current contributor to a wonderful site called FemHype, and following the Uncovered event, I wanted to write a thing about XV and its cast of only men. My goal, more than anything, was to spark a conversation on the subject of masculinity in XV and how the way in which it is being presented so far could turn out to be a really positive and great thing. I wanted to share this article with you all and perhaps we could talk about this kind of thing in the thread!

http://femhype.com/2016/04/07/final-fantasy-xv-sends-an-important-message-about-toxic-masculinity/

Thank you in advance for reading and I look forward to the conversation we could all have about this!
Oh, nice! Interesting topic, going to read it later. I love this "bromance" theme in FFXV, as it reminds me a lot of my relationships with my lifelong best friends :)

There was an article on GameSpot about the same topic last year, btw. If you're interested:

Male Intimacy and Final Fantasy XV
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/male-intimacy-and-final-fantasy-xv/1100-6425749/

Oct 19, 2013
Hi XvoltaireX,

Thanks for joining the conversation! Conversations are always good and should happen, and that was my goal in writing this article. Dissasterrific has responded with a super great response that captures my thoughts, but I'll elaborate.

I have to ask the question: how come you have to call it "bromance"? It's something that I see that happens very often, and it's not like women call our friendships with each other "femmance" or something like that. Don't get me wrong - it's a harmless way of referring to a strong friendship between men, but it also can't be denied that it's similar to the phrase "man tears" - which are just, you know, tears from men; but there's the nagging sense to call them "man tears," whether the guy saying it is joking or not.

It's the same thing with "bromance"; it's just a way of referring to an intimate platonic relationship between men. But there's this tendency to label those things as "man tears" and "bromance" because of masculinity; because men constantly have to reassert it. I, and the rest of the world, know that "bromance" has been a thing in the daily lives of men for centuries upon centuries, but it's not something that is healthily portrayed in the media all that often - especially video games - as simply being an intimate bond between two men.

[...]
Hmm, I've never thought about it that way. Interesting. Though I think it's in most cases just a harmless way of referring to it, I also get your point about the labeling, and maybe it really is a subconscious, cultural thing. I always felt the same way about "man tears" as you do about "bromance", though. That always irked me.

I just remembered something from my youth especially: many of my girlfriends and their best friends called each other "BFFs", "besties", "sis" etc. instead of "bro" like men do, but it was the same thing basically. They also kind of "celebrated" their women-friendships, just in a different way. Almost all of them kissed each other on the mouth, told or texted each other "luv u", "nwly" (never wanna lose ya) and all that stuff. Or things like "Girls' Night Out". Now all of this might not have a popular label as "bromance" (or maybe it does and I don't know the English term for it), but I think there are universally recognized traits of strong friendships between women portrayed in the media, too (maybe "Sex and the City" as an example for "womance"). I hope my point does make sense^^ Would love your input on it.

Btw, I think that "bromance" is in fact portrayed quite a lot in movies at least. Just off the top of my head: well, fittingly, "Stand by Me", "I Love You, Man", "21 Jump Street", "Ted", "The Bucket List" etc.

Chocobocoholic

ShinRa SOLDIER
Mar 29, 2016
Btw, I think that "bromance" is in fact portrayed quite a lot in movies at least. Just off the top of my head: well, fittingly, "Stand by Me", "I Love You, Man", "21 Jump Street", "Ted", "The Bucket List" etc.
You're forgetting The Hangover! I wish Alan could join Noctis and co and spike all their food xD

heartimecia

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 2, 2016
Florida
Oh, nice! Interesting topic, going to read it later. I love this "bromance" theme in FFXV, as it reminds me a lot of my relationships with my lifelong best friends :)

There was an article on GameSpot about the same topic last year, btw. If you're interested:

Male Intimacy and Final Fantasy XV
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/male-intimacy-and-final-fantasy-xv/1100-6425749/
Hi Koozek! Hope you're well and thanks for reading and commenting! ^^
I did read this article back when it was posted, and it is probably the article that made me slowly but surely start thinking about this whole thing! I'm a big fan of Alexa Ray Corriea's work, so I definitely was influenced by this fantastic article. As a result of giving the subject some more thought over time as well as all the new footage we've gotten, I ended up writing this article this week, haha.

Hmm, I've never thought about it that way. Interesting. Though I think it's in most cases just a harmless way of referring to it, I also get your point about the labeling, and maybe it really is a subconscious, cultural thing. I always felt the same way about "man tears" as you do about "bromance", though. That always irked me.

I just remembered something from my youth especially: many of my girlfriends and their best friends called each other "BFFs", "besties", "sis" etc. instead of "bro" like men do, but it was the same thing basically. They also kind of "celebrated" their women-friendships, just in a different way. Almost all of them kissed each other on the mouth, told or texted each other "luv u", "nwly" (never wanna lose ya) and all that stuff. Or things like "Girls' Night Out". Now all of this might not have a popular label as "bromance" (or maybe it does and I don't know the English term for it), but I think there are universally recognized traits of strong friendships between women portrayed in the media, too (maybe "Sex and the City" as an example for "womance"). I hope my point does make sense^^ Would love your input on it.

Also, you have a fair point - this is definitely true for many girls. I think there's a slight difference though, in that the way that the gendered-language for friendships between women doesn't really limit them in the way that the gendered-language for the friendships between men might. Women, as you said, are generally a lot more open with each other, but it's not something that's seen or at least portrayed so much between men. We're allowed to be emotionally honest with each other without any particular judgment, but I feel like if men are as emotionally honest with each other, it's perceived differently by some both in the media and in real life. This isn't universally applicable to every guy or friendship between guys, so this observation doesn't apply to every guy out there, but yeah.

Also, I think movies are definitely at least a little more open to this than video games. Video game culture is still very narrowly defined even if we're starting to see some progress. Like, I read a comment just yesterday about how the clothing for the XV guys makes them gay, and how it's the type of clothing that a woman would pick for a man -- despite the fact that a man designed the clothing and that there really is no logical and solid correlation here between how they dress and their sexuality. If one or even all of them were gay or not straight, it's not like the clothing somehow automatically has anything to do with that? It's mind-blowing to read comments like that, and in the process of the progressive games you play and people you follow, you forget that there's lots of people out there who genuinely think this way. Video games and its general community are still pretty far behind other mediums, so I wanted to focus on that! Hopefully, games (particularly Western games, because this isn't as big of a thing in Japanese games) will get on board with that train and start to portray this type of thing more often. :)

Zero

ShinRa SOLDIER
UFFSite Veteran
Phew, super long post, sorry! But thank you for joining the conversation despite whether you agree much or not. Again, I think conversations are great things to have as long as they're respectful.
No problem. Thanks for sharing it. Again, your writing is very good. I think it's awesome to see fellow FF fans do things like this. And I agree, we should all respect each other even when we don't agree. We're all FF fans, after all.

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
Hi XvoltaireX,

A similar thing goes to your point about fathers. If I were to sort of use an analogy, it's like saying that nobody should be racist. That's a great and true statement in itself, but we have to recognize that society isn't there yet as a whole, so we must recognize the different inequalities that exist in society. Caring for a child's health is not something that is exclusive or inherent to mothers because not only would that be limiting towards women, but there are many fathers - both single and married - that are wonderful parents. However, it's not like we see single fathers being portrayed all that often in the media - and if we want to get specific, especially in video games. It has always been women who have been naturally portrayed in that way despite the fact that there are many women out there who don't really like kids and may not even want to have them, as well as fathers who really care for their children or would prefer to play a more domestic role in their family lives.

Not sure if it's the best analogy but my point is that in spite of your progressive thinking we aren't there yet as a society, so I wrote the article while taking this into account. And this is without specifically considering the game industry and its extremely rigid views on gender as a whole, as well as the cultural differences between East Asia and the West, as this is a JRPG. Maybe you might want to read up on those differences sometime, as it's definitely interesting to know how other cultures view things differently from our own! I know that I was definitely specific in that healthy and intimate platonic relationships between men is something that hasn't been portrayed in *games* enough, and that the motherhood role is one that has been traditionally given to women - meaning that some women may not enjoy it while other men (like perhaps Ignis) do, and they should be portrayed in those ways a little more often in contrast to the abundance of men who are shown to only shoot guns, forsake emotions, and have only their romantic relationships with women valued in a story. That portrayal happens every now and then, but not as often as some would like to see.

I think we have similar ideas, but I looked at things while taking this context into consideration. You may or may not agree or see my point, which is fine, but I just wanted to give you a response and hopefully clear things up a bit more. Thanks for reading and commenting!
I can see where you're coming from with the bromance concept, though intimate platonic relationships between men is a common thing in videogames. Ex: Uncharted, Mario Bros, inFamous, Asura's Wrath, Kingdom Hearts, and lots more. It's great having this discussion, and I do appreciate it.