Final Fantasy XV is about 50-60% complete as a "Whole"

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I'm not even the biggest fan of Nomura, but that saddens the fuck out of me, regardless of his skill or lack of skill directing :(

BTW, I was curious, so I googled and found out that Nomura talked about being able to switch members on the fly in September, so a year after Tabata joined.

He says this: “The concept of Final Fantasy XV’s battle system is to make it as seamless as possible, and being able to fight while switching characters according to various situations.”

So, that either means that the battle system wasn't reworked until last year (explaining maybe the silence) or that we'll still able to do so. Or maybe a completely different thing.

Man, I hope they clarify this. Seriously, I don't even care that much about the battle system (even if it's very shitty), but this is crushing the excitement I've gathered for 8 years.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
I'm not even the biggest fan of Nomura, but that saddens the fuck out of me, regardless of his skill or lack of skill directing :(

BTW, I was curious, so I googled and found out that Nomura talked about being able to switch members on the fly in September, so a year after Tabata joined.

He says this: “The concept of Final Fantasy XV’s battle system is to make it as seamless as possible, and being able to fight while switching characters according to various situations.”

So, that either means that the battle system wasn't reworked until last year (explaining maybe the silence) or that we'll still able to do so. Or maybe a completely different thing.

Man, I hope they clarify this. Seriously, I don't even care that much about the battle system (even if it's very shitty), but this is crushing the excitement I've gathered for 8 years.
Not to change the subject, but after watching this Demo again:
at 7:22 He was "in the middle of attacking" then switched to dodge real quick to dodge the behemoth. It looks like it was a "quick change" from attacking to dodging "in the heat of the moment" most people would tap the button real fast to dodge over holding it.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014

I'd like to believe that it would be in at a later point as they move along in development and that he was only talking about the demo, but who knows so far. Need more clarity and info.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Not to change the subject, but after watching this Demo again:
at 7:22 He was "in the middle of attacking" then switched to dodge real quick to dodge the behemoth. It looks like it was a "quick change" from attacking to dodging "in the heat of the moment" most people would tap the button real fast to dodge over holding it.
I feel like they haven't been really clear about anything. We don't even know if we have the option of pressing the buttons instead of holding (and get the same result). I don't know what to think, I'd rather they were still silent about the game if that meant the core would remain the same...

I'd like to believe that it would be in at a later point as they move along in development and that he was only talking about the demo, but who knows so far. Need more clarity and info.
That's what I hope too if they haven't implemented it yet. But I don't how I feel of that feture being implemented this late on its development. I just don't want another KH in terms of characters I can control. Not when we've been promised that for years and when they have changed the BS to a more FF-ish one. What's the point, then, if you force us on only one possibility? Beyond stupid, I don't think anyone would like that.

These past two days feel like a joke lol.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
I feel like they haven't been really clear about anything. We don't even know if we have the option of pressing the buttons instead of holding (and get the same result). I don't know what to think, I'd rather they were still silent about the game if that meant the core would remain the same...

That's what I hope too if they haven't implemented it yet. But I don't how I feel of that feture being implemented this late on its development. I just don't want another KH in terms of characters I can control. Not when we've been promised that for years and when they have changed the BS to a more FF-ish one. What's the point, then, if you force us on only one possibility? Beyond stupid, I don't think anyone would like that.

These past two days feel like a joke lol.
I believe it was said that to evade you have to hold down evade AND move the analog stick. If you move the analog stick the wrong way wouldn't you still get hit? If you the analog stick becomes the " if you move the right way you evade, if not you get hit" Does it really matter if you hold square? Holding just square won't do anything without the analog stick movement.

Sep 26, 2013
Now all of a sudden when Tabata joins the project they give him the green light and not Nomura? I don't know about that...
There have been various instances throughout the 8 years where Nomura wanted to talk more about the game but was unable to. From my understanding, he had stuff prepared for major events after E313.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
That sounds actually interesting and should requiere some skill, yeah. Still, until we play the demo we'll know nothing, so unless they are more clear about this?

How are the chances they explain this a bit better soon? (as in, not in Jump Festa lol). But especially (I know I'm tiresome about this lol) clarify the playable characters thing.

There have been various instances throughout the 8 years where Nomura wanted to talk more about the game but was unable to. From my understanding, he had stuff prepared for major events after E313.
Yeah, that's what I've read too. I think it was Kagari who said that he had stuff to show this E3, but they didn't leave him do it :/

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
I respect Nomura , and he pulls off great character designs and storytelling. When it comes to directing a game ( considering this game went through development hell. You can tell he's not good at directing. That's not a bad thing, everyone is not good at something.
I honestly don't understand how that criticism against Nomura even has ground to stand on. Nomura has fore the most part helped SE stay relevant with his output. The KH series is SE's 3rd most popular series (following FF and DQ). Also one of the most beloved series in gaming in general. He managed to develop and release several titles as director, or over seeing positions. He's a known work horse, and apparently a perfectionist. Who tends to juggle several projects at once due to his popularity, all while contributing as either a designer or producer or director.

Keeping that in mind in addition to all of these factor that plagued XV's development up to 2012. Simply accusing Nomura of 'not being a good director' is short sighted.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
I honestly how that criticism against Nomura even has ground to stand on. Nomura has fore the most part kept SE relevant with his output. The KH series is SE's 3rd most popular series (following FF and DQ). Also one of the most beloved series in gaming in general. He managed to develop and release several titles as director, or over seeing positions. He's a known work horse, and apparently a perfectionist. Who tends to juggle several projects at once, all while contributing as either a designer or producer or director.

Keeping that in mind in addition to all of these factor that plagued XV's development up to 2012. Simply accusing Nomura of 'not being a good director' is short sighted.
Final Fantasy is SE baby. Nomura knows this and felt like " as a perfectionist" had to really really make sure every little thing was perfect. Are you sure Nomura just didn't just accepted those other projects willingly? I just don't see a company giving 1 person 5 projects to handle.

Kaii

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Aug 19, 2014
San Diego
Final Fantasy XV’s gameplay is less about menus and more about playing about 3D spaces with predetermined abilies – similar to Final Fantasy XII’s Gambit system. There aren’t actually any menus in combat. The game will control similar to an action game where players switch between offense and defense to attack or avoid enemies. You don’t select from a list of commands. In battle, you switch from offense to defense and vice versa. The only character that the player is in direct control of is Noctis, however, the other characters will act according to tactics that the player set beforehand. Of course, there will be a screen with settings that you can use to control the entire party to attack or change the various weapons. Because this is a RPG, you can also play more strategically, and during combat you can pause the game into a menu and adjust party behavior, change weapons, and more. The weapon system in the game is treated like a deck. You set weapons on the deck in the menu, and during combat the most appropriate weapon in the deck will be used based on the situation.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/09/skyrim-is-the-sort-of-game-final-fantasy-xv-isnt/
This really sounds okay to me. I know a lot of people didn't, but I liked FFXII's battle system. Since then, we've been dealing with more and more automation, but automation doesn't automatically mean that the game is easy or that it plays itself. It sounds like that they're picking and choosing aspects from FFXII and FFXIII that they like and trying to implement them into a battle system that's more about actions and less about menus. I'm okay with that.

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
Final Fantasy is SE baby. Nomura knows this and felt like " as a perfectionist" had to really really make sure every little thing was perfect. Are you sure Nomura just didn't just accepted those other projects willingly? I just don't see a company giving 1 person 5 projects to handle.
Unless any of us know him personally, it's hard to say for sure. Although from impression and his reputation, he is known for his work ethic. He's capable of bringging some sort of vision to life. Something that a great deal of people can not do, simply because they're not Nomura. He is unique from being himself alone, and expressing it through his creative work or ideas (whether as a game designer or an artist).

And at the end of the day, Nomura is an artist. And artists will feel the need to create.

As a video game developer I'm sure SE recognized that themselves. Since a lot of their best known or sold games have had some sort of input from Nomura, especially in a visual mean. And being that video games is 50% a visually dependent medium, naturally they'd have him work on a good deal of projects which in turn becomes product for SE as a compamy.

I'm assuming a lot of it has to do with Japanese culture and media, and the popularity of ones like anime and manga. So those mediums there are just as much a product of entertainment, as they are artistic drawing and designs. More so than the west at least.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble...

Last edited: