Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
I'm still pegging on Agni's Philosophy turning into a full-blown game.
Agni's Philosophy is just a tech demo showcasing what Luminous Engine is capable of. That's its created purpose.

Could it be a game? Could the next game use the characters, contents and ideas used in that trailer? That's completely up to the next director.

As for FFXV, yeah, it should've been out what, four years ago? But at the same time I'm glad they pushed it to next-gen. That means they can pack in so much more content, and I think it might be for the better.
Don't be surprised if you hear stuff about content being scrapped after the game comes out due to reasons such as budget constraints, hurts the pace of the game and can't get it to work properly. This is a normal thing that happens in game development.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I'm more amazed that we don't know anything about it yet. FFXV should have been out years ago and old news. We should be talking about FFXVI.
Well, it says a lot I'm more surprised we are seeing a third XIII game. Wouldn't have believed it if someone told me back in 2009. But who knows what'll happen with XVI? Maybe it'll come after XV-2 (if it's made).

Casval

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 30, 2013
Well, it says a lot I'm more surprised we are seeing a third XIII game. Wouldn't have believed it if someone told me back in 2009. But who knows what'll happen with XVI? Maybe it'll come after XV-2 (if it's made).
Not necessarily. SE released X-2 after XI. XV-2, if it were to exist, may not necessarily be a full-blown console game, either.

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
Not necessarily. SE released X-2 after XI. XV-2, if it were to exist, may not necessarily be a full-blown console game, either.
If XV-2 were made, the development won't take longer than XV, PS4 has the ability to produce games faster than PS3, AND PS2!!

If XVI announced with first full Luminous engine, the game would've completed in 2 years time

Orenji

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 15, 2013
Mataró
orenji-chan.blogspot.com
I'm a little late to the party, but I think that it'd be great if XVI had a medieval setting. I'd also love it if it featured the world from Agni's Philosophy. That'd be a HUGE (and perhaps risky) move for the series, tho.

Eliotlienthal

Balamb Garden Freshman
Sep 27, 2013
Although I love Nomura's design and this "more realistic" characters and scenarios (that I hope will continue to be the main features for the series), I think XVI should go to a more IX vibe with a medieval set, stylized characters, etc...I think that should be good for a change.

Something that I thought these days and I would like to share with you is about the nova crystallis saga: don't you think it would've been great if they produced 3 games set in the same world but in different periods, a more medieval one (past = Agito XIII), a modern one (present = Versus XIII) and a sci-fi one (future = FFXIII). I think they should've used more aspects of the mythology involving the Fal'cie, L'cie and the gods to intertwine the stories in a coherent way...they even could've made some characters from the previous time to appear on the next one (Agito characters appearing on Versus XIII, or Versus characters appearing on XIII) maybe just on flashbacks about the events that changed the world or characters been released from crystal stasis after hundreds of years...of course the stories of the games as we know would have to be completely redone, but I think it'd been an interesting way to explore the mythos around fabula nova crystallis. What do you think?

Sep 26, 2013
If XV-2 were made, the development won't take longer than XV, PS4 has the ability to produce games faster than PS3, AND PS2!!
Sequels in general are always fast to produce as they reuse assets from the first game. The ground work has also been established too.

If XVI announced with first full Luminous engine, the game would've completed in 2 years time
I highly doubt FFXVI, a brand new Final Fantasy game built from ground up, would take 2 years to make. This isn't a small project.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I want it to be turn based
Pretty sure they said in the past they see the future of FF as more of an action RPG. I wouldn't say to rule it out completely, but I can't see a console FF being a true turn-based RPG in the vein of FF1-10 again.

Oct 4, 2013
I'm a little late to the party, but I think that it'd be great if XVI had a medieval setting. I'd also love it if it featured the world from Agni's Philosophy. That'd be a HUGE (and perhaps risky) move for the series, tho.
What is so risky about Agni's Philosophies world? I can't think of anything different other than Arabs with AKs like in Military Shooters.

I want it to be turn based
I am OK with this but i don't want an Auto-battle or slow animations.

Sep 26, 2013
Pretty sure they said in the past they see the future of FF as more of an action RPG. I wouldn't say to rule it out completely, but I can't see a console FF being a true turn-based RPG in the vein of FF1-10 again.
When Kitase said that the next Final Fantasy could be a action-RPG, he was talking about FFXV. He also said that the global market shows players moving away from turn-based systems to action RPGs too.

However...

During E3 2013, Hashimoto said that future titles could still end up being something a bit more traditional. He thinks there is a future for both action-based and command-based RPG's.

In other words, it's completely up to the director. For FFXV, they felt that making it an action-RPG works the best.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Final Fantasy is one of those established IPs where I don't think it matters what battle system they use. It'll still put up the numbers(flagship titles at least) due to how powerful the brand is.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Of course it doesn't lol. I know a lot of people want a return to turn-based, though, so will be interesting to see if they ever return to something more traditional.

Orenji

Clan Centurio Member
Oct 15, 2013
Mataró
orenji-chan.blogspot.com
What is so risky about Agni's Philosophies world? I can't think of anything different other than Arabs with AKs like in Military Shooters.
Well, when you talk about FF, the term "military shooter" doesn't exactly come to mind. That's why I think it'd be a risky move for SE to make. I'm OK with such a change, but seeing how a lot of people are complaining about the more action-based nature of the last few entries, I don't know if that's really the path they want/need to follow.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Well, when you talk about FF, the term "military shooter" doesn't exactly come to mind. That's why I think it'd be a risky move for SE to make. I'm OK with such a change, but seeing how a lot of people are complaining about the more action-based nature of the last few entries, I don't know if that's really the path they want/need to follow.
Just because there's guys with AK-47s doesn't mean it's a military shooter. In the concept art for FF7, ShinRa guards are basically using Thompsons, but that doesn't mean anything. The 'player character' we saw in that movie never touched a gun, and only used traditional FF powers.