Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
i think now is the opportunity to refine the solid foundation of FFXV.

most of the franchises that consistently managed to get great scores just refined their formula; it's ok to change from time to time, but one title doesn't need to be completely different than the other all the time.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
The only thing I really wish for FFXVI is a not-fucked-up development cycle. I can deal with anything they come up with in regard to setting and gameplay, but for the love of God I hope they learned something from the development of XV... and XII, XIII, XIV.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
The only thing I really wish for FFXVI is a not-fucked-up development cycle. I can deal with anything they come up with in regard to setting and gameplay, but for the love of God I hope they learned something from the development of XV... and XII, XIII, XIV.
I don't think they could entirely help it. XII should have come out at least a year before it did, and probably provided a base for XIII's development as the series' PS2 finale - the illness of Matsuno forced some major changes. XIII was then shifted forward onto a new-gen engine that they weren't ready to use. As to XIV, I'll admit that they were behind the times and using an already-flawed development style and an engine unsuited to MMOs.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I want FFXVI to be developed using the Luminuous Engine (after years of investment Square better put it in use) so by extension BD2 would develop it + in colaboration with another S.E BD.

h00aoj

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 26, 2016
So true. It will be very intresting years to come, to see if they can shorten the development time for FF titles.
I read in some interview that FF7 remake is using some standard game engine like Unreal or something - maybe SE changed their business strategy to use standardproducts instead of selfdeveloped engines?

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
FFXV uses that engine....
True, but even Crystal Tools got more than one game out of it. It was used in the XIII sequels, XIV (although admittedly that was a bit of a disaster), Versus (scrapped and switched for Luminous) and Dragon Quest X. Ironically, the one non-FF game that used this FF-centic engine appears to be the only game that's managed to use it successfully.

I would prefer they used Luminous for the next FF. It's a complete engine that can now be adjusted and has a mean they know works rather than being an in-development variable. They could possibly play around a bit more with the scenery if they brought in transitions to battle arenas, whether they went with turn or action-based.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
XVI should be made with Unreal Engine 4 to save the future dev team any woes. Luminous caused them too many headaches.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
XVI should be made with Unreal Engine 4 to save the future dev team any woes. Luminous caused them too many headaches.
It's kinda funny you made this post right after calling for not jumping to conclusions about Nomura in the other thread.

People online love to act like LE was some unmitigated disaster, but it's mostly just a conjecture. It had some development troubles, but you can't really know how big of a hurdle the engine is, especially now that it's actually finished.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
It's kinda funny you made this post right after calling for not jumping to conclusions about Nomura in the other thread.

People online love to act like LE was some unmitigated disaster, but it's mostly just a conjecture. It had some development troubles, but you can't really know how big of a hurdle the engine is, especially now that it's actually finished.
False equivalency. Not the same since there have been many sources that can be cited sharing that Luminous was difficult to work with and made even more difficult by having to create a game and an engine at the same time. You also see SE moving away from Luminous with their other titles such WoFF, KH and VII remake. It's not an "unmitigated disaster" since that's hyperbolic (your words), but clearly better game engines exist that can deliver a similar or superior quality product than Luminous in seemingly less time.

Moreover, comparing the mis-characterization of a flesh and blood human being to a game engine? Ridiculous.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
I don't have any particular wishes regarding setting/battle system/main characters/whatever, I'm ok with pretty much everything as long as it's executed well. I just hope it'll end up beeing a cohesive product which doesn't suffer from a troubled development like every mainline game did since X.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Not the same since there have been many sources that can be cited sharing that Luminous was difficult to work with and made even more difficult by having to create a game and an engine at the same time.
When it was unfinished.
You also see SE moving away from Luminous with their other titles such WoFF, KH and VII remake.
Because it was unfinished.
clearly better game engines exist that can deliver a similar or superior quality product than Luminous in seemingly less time
The point is you don't know this.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
It caused them headaches because it was still in development. The engine was developed alongside the game. I wouldn't even say it even caused them headaches. They seemed to have a working engine in place for a while, it was just optimizing for consoles that became the main issue. If you have realistic art direction under the specifications of your target platform from the beginning (something FFXV wasn't able to do) you could easily create a game that runs very well with Luminous Engine.

XV is evidence that even as the first game using this engine, it runs with great performance pretty much 90% of the time.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
XV is evidence that even as the first game using this engine, it runs with great performance pretty much 90% of the time.
That's even more impressive when you remember a large portion of it is open world. XIII may have run smoothly, but that is probably more due to its linear structuring - to make Nova Chrysalia work in LR, they needed to modify the engine and downgrade the graphics.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
This scene from Nioh went live through Koei Tecmo's account. It's the kind of thing I could easily seen adopted for an FF setting. It's like two future close allies or friends on their first awkward encounter. Things like this are what FF is missing at the moment, I think.

Make a great - and more important, greatly told - story with relatable characters and an interesting world to be thrown into. That's what got me (and probably others too) into FF in the first place. Do what you want theme-wise, but just as a word of advice: The bigger and bolder you want to be with your themes, the more conservative your structure has to be.