Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Could you explain this? I don´t understand the exact logic.
I think they mean a necessary balancing act between what you want to do with gameplay and what you want to do with story/themes. Example: XIV eventually goes into some interesting and often deep/grand thematic stuff while sticking within the conventions of the MMO gameplay, while XV went big and innovative on gameplay while keeping its core themes relatively simple. An example of this not working is XIII: it tried to go big on both its themes and its gameplay, but each ended up compromising the other in some way. WoFF kept both simple to cater for a younger audience, and it works of that younger audience.

@AnGer-dono, if I've got this wrong, please correct me.

It's a different department, so I wouldn't be too sure. SQEX has multiple Business Divisions now: 2 worked on XV/Type-0/Agito, 1 is working on properties such as VIIR/KH, 3 worked on WoFF. I think there are eight or ten divisions, so they could be delegating another division to working on the concept, and when there's more resources available, they'll have a workable premise and (if they're sensible) a complete engine which they can use, which should speed up dev time no end.

@SonOfEtro: You're not far off, but I was talking more in terms of narrative structure, though FF XIV is a good example. So FF XIV starts with the Adventurer's arrival (Inciting Incident), then Act 1 moves from there to, I'm going to say, the point where you are first introduced as a member of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. From that point onward, Act 2 begins and Act 3 is essentially the last set of story quests (post-50 for ARR main game). Granted, there's more story a priori to the adventurer arriving in one of the City-States, but if we integrated that, we would be starting every book at Big Bang. This is the most simple of narrative structures and the most established one - you have a narrative start (which, in the case of FF XIII would be the awakening of Vanille and Fang until... either the beginning of the game or the fal'Cie fight at the end of Chapter 2), a narrative mid-section (for FF XIII until the end of Chapter 11) and a resolution (Chapters 12 & 13). What FF XIII however did was to relegate the scenes from the chronological start to scenes strewn about Act 2 - depending on what you define as the end of Act 1, there might be something in there as well - which really wasn't a good idea, to be honest. In medias res can work - Final Fantasy pulls it off a lot of times and most of the times supremely well - but at least attempting to establish who (some) of the most important characters are and what their goal is, is an important thing to give some context. You can still go big with the themes and the gameplay, but the actual story structure should remain relatively simple to make it work.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
My predictions of a Final Fantasy XVI are:
1. It won't release this generation I'm thinking they will try to get what they can out of the previous Final Fantasies like the 7 Remake, XV(whether this means DLC, Kingslaive game, Versus XV, or a XV-2 remains to be seen), X-3, and whatever spin-offs they can produce for the PS4/XBOX/PC/NS
2. It will be an action RPG similar to well selling Final Fantasy XV
3. It will be turned into a trilogy similar to FFXIII, and FF7 Remake?
4. It will use Luminous Engine, as they have probably been working on something called Luminous Studios Pro?

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Now this thread is officially getting ridiculous... Quite amusing in its own way.

My predictions of a Final Fantasy XVI are:
1. It won't release this generation I'm thinking they will try to get what they can out of the previous Final Fantasies like the 7 Remake, XV(whether this means DLC, Kingslaive game, Versus XV, or a XV-2 remains to be seen), X-3, and whatever spin-offs they can produce for the PS4/XBOX/PC/NS
2. It will be an action RPG similar to well selling Final Fantasy XV
3. It will be turned into a trilogy similar to FFXIII, and FF7 Remake?
4. It will use Luminous Engine, as they have probably been working on something called Luminous Studios Pro?
There I must disagree. SQEX is trying to move away from the long development cycles ala XIII-to-XV, and the longest reasonable time they've spent on a project is four years (well within a standard console generation unless Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft go completely mad). Plus, they wouldn't want to waste the Luminous engine they have now if they can afford it, they have said XVI doesn't have to be an ARPG regardless of sales/reception of XV, and I think they'll be leaving XV roughly as it is barring the DLC updates - that's why they made Brotherhood/Kingsglaive in the first place, so they wouldn't have to create a series of games.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
Now this thread is officially getting ridiculous... Quite amusing in its own way.

There I must disagree. SQEX is trying to move away from the long development cycles ala XIII-to-XV, and the longest reasonable time they've spent on a project is four years (well within a standard console generation unless Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft go completely mad). Plus, they wouldn't want to waste the Luminous engine they have now if they can afford it, they have said XVI doesn't have to be an ARPG regardless of sales/reception of XV, and I think they'll be leaving XV roughly as it is barring the DLC updates - that's why they made Brotherhood/Kingsglaive in the first place, so they wouldn't have to create a series of games.
This console gen is going to be prolonged due to the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio, as well as the Nintendo Switch, honestly if what I've heard about FFXV was true, the higher ups and development didn't have faith in it, they thought it would have been torn the shreds, and Luminous isn't cheap to develop for, in fact I wouldn't be suprised if Kingslaive costs less to make than FFXV. If FFXV sells well enough can we honestly say knowing Square's track record, they will simply leave FFXV with DLC, when they can instead just fill the gap from this gen to the next gen with XV sequels or this fabled Versus XV I'm having my doubts. I'm thinking if they kept to Nomura's trilogy and the game didn't perform as well as expected it would have looked worse on them if they didn't finish it, as opposed to just releasing one game with a complete story you know?