Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

AveryChu

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 22, 2017
If you have the resources why not using them?
I don't mean to say that Square shouldn't take advantage of newer tech. My issue is that Square seems to be putting too much focus on tech when graphics don't equate to quality, especially when an older tech such as Crystal Tools can still provide solid results.

wmlk

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 5, 2014
I don't mean to say that Square shouldn't take advantage of newer tech. My issue is that Square seems to be putting too much focus on tech when graphics don't equate to quality, especially when an older tech such as Crystal Tools can still provide solid results.
LR ran terribly on a rather unimpressive "open world" setting. They can do better. LR looks like something I would expect tri-Ace to put out.
The only reason they went that route was because Skyrim was so big around then. Toriyama is on record saying LR was set out to "beat Skyrim".

EDIT: budget titles like LR are fine, but please, FFXVI shouldn't be like that.

Last edited:

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
LR ran terribly on a rather unimpressive "open world" setting. They can do better. LR looks like something I would expect tri-Ace to put out.
The only reason they went that route was because Skyrim was so big around then. Toriyama is on record saying LR was set out to "beat Skyrim".

EDIT: budget titles like LR are fine, but please, FFXVI shouldn't be like that.
He's not saying that FFXVI should be the next FFXIIILR or a "budget title", nobody wants that. He's just saying that graphical fidelity shouldn't be Squeenix's focus entirely when that alone is not what makes the games great.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
You know what I would love it if Final Fantasy XVI is an MMO based on Agni's Philosophy that looks like something that could be fun in, where you don't play as Agni, but you do play as someone from her group, or one of the gun men.

Oct 19, 2013
It's not just graphics you will also have to tone down how big the world is or can be, AI complexity, the amount of enemies you have on screen, there are also frame rate issues to deal with, you also will have to tone down boss fights as well see the Leviathan fight, with better specs, it can mean better boss fights, with bigger scale. Specs aren't just for graphics you know?

Yes I'm aware AP is a tech demo, but some people are thinking with it's popularity Square might use it for Final Fantasy XVI.
Not for FFXVI, but there might be a chance that Tabata's new IP is based on AP. Don't forget the BD2 team is currently heading the whole AP (aka. WITCH) project (Tabata personally introduced the last tech demo video at the Microsoft Build event in 2015).

AveryChu

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 22, 2017
I haven't played any FF MMO, although I don't really see why MMO's are considered to be major numerical releases in the series. It is certainly a wildly different form of RPG from the rest of the mainline series, one that isn't really for me, although I find it strange that MMO games aren't given spin off titles instead.

Also is there any idea how long Square plans on supporting FFXIV, it seems like updates for that game are still coming pretty regularly.

Also not really XVI related, but I would like to see Square eventually remake FF1.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Also is there any idea how long Square plans on supporting FFXIV, it seems like updates for that game are still coming pretty regularly.
For reference, FFXI was released on May 2002, their last (3 parts) expansion was released throughout 2015 (may, august, november ). The (PC) servers are still up and running to this day.

Expect a similar threatment to FFXIV.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, no chance of a XVI being a MMORPG (it will most likely have some online components, though. APZ already mentioned about the kind of hiring the XIV was doing and XV seems like a good testing ground for it).

In regards to Tabata's words about XV being a "make or break" game, well, I can see that, but I have no doubt in my mind that they would have continued working on it: maybe with a bigger focus on spin-offs and mobile games and, especially, a different, much cheaper and safer approach for XVI, but there's no way they would abandon their arguably biggest IP. Just readjust their expectatives and restrain their budget.

I still believe that XVI has been in development for a while, but I'm not too confident in that "while" being that long ago or that substantial. If we're a bit pessimistic and believe that the game is being worked on, they're probably entering full production right now and not before. I'm still betting on them having been working on this for, at least, a year and a half.

Also, I don't know about you, but I'm really excited and curious about Tabata's new IP, whether it's, like Koozek says it might be, related to Agni or not. S-E really needs (well, I know I do) another AAA JRPG series that's totally unrelated to FF, KH and DQ where they can experiment in regards to visual styles, gameplay mechanics and storylines, hopefully more adult ones: not because I think those are inherently better (not at all), but, because, thinking about it, DQ and KH are quite lighthearted (if we forget about the edgier KH parts where "muh darkness" is present), while FF isn't all that heavy when it comes to being explicit when it comes to certain themes (and I'm totally fine with it, as it fits what the series has been about so far). If they want this IP to be a new flagship series, that could be a good distinct point, at least for starters.

I also want the guy to prove himself with a big title made from scratch by him and without any kind of previous baggage. I've come to really appreciate the man and, while certainly not perfect (he could have a better eye for stories, among many other flaws), I believe that he's much more talented that people give him credit for. At the very least, he's a very good director on a practical level. Let's see how he handles himself in such a project creativity-wise.

Last edited:

AveryChu

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 22, 2017
Not really a new IP, but if Parasite Eve was revived could potentially be another AAA JRPG for Square. The game would likely inherently appeal to the western audience which unfortunately Square is kinda forced to appeal to now.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
If Tabata's new IP ends up being Agni's Philosophy after all, what are the chances of it coming out this gen?

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Not really a new IP, but if Parasite Eve was revived could potentially be another AAA JRPG for Square. The game would likely inherently appeal to the western audience which unfortunately Square is kinda forced to appeal to now.
I was actually thinking about PE when talking about less lighthearted games. Unfortunately, they seem (my PSP died before I could play it, so I can't know for certain) to have botchered the series with The 3rd Birthday (incidentally, directed by Tabata!), so I guess a reboot would be needed.

If they have willing people there and S-E sees it viable, I could see a reboot taking a model similar to Hitman: maybe not so much the episodic system, rather than the budget that game had. You don't really need more, and AA games are sorely missed.

If Tabata's new IP ends up being Agni's Philosophy after all, what are the chances of it coming out this gen?
I think that, whether it's AP-related or not, that game is probably going to be on the next batch of consoles. Maybe a cross-gen title, though, but they seem to be taking the The Witcher 3 approach and still stick to their recently released game to support it for a year, so I'm guessing he will have a small-ish core team working on the pre-production aspects of that game while the rest work on the DLCs.

I'm also totally sure that that game is the next big title using Luminous Engine, considering Tabata's team expertise with it by now.

Oct 19, 2013
I was actually thinking about PE when talking about less lighthearted games. Unfortunately, they seem (my PSP died before I could play it, so I can't know for certain) to have botchered the series with The 3rd Birthday (incidentally, directed by Tabata!), so I guess a reboot would be needed.

If they have willing people there and S-E sees it viable, I could see a reboot taking a model similar to Hitman: maybe not so much the episodic system, rather than the budget that game had. You don't really need more, and AA games are sorely missed.

I think that, whether it's AP-related or not, that game is probably going to be on the next batch of consoles. Maybe a cross-gen title, though, but they seem to be taking the The Witcher 3 approach and still stick to their recently released game to support it for a year, so I'm guessing he will have a small-ish core team working on the pre-production aspects of that game while the rest work on the DLCs.

I'm also totally sure that that game is the next big title using Luminous Engine, considering Tabata's team expertise with it by now.
IIRC they aren't allowed to use the Parasite Eve brand anymore, right? That's why the last one was called just The 3rd Birthday. I really loved the first one and its setting.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I haven't played any FF MMO, although I don't really see why MMO's are considered to be major numerical releases in the series. It is certainly a wildly different form of RPG from the rest of the mainline series, one that isn't really for me, although I find it strange that MMO games aren't given spin off titles instead.

Also not really XVI related, but I would like to see Square eventually remake FF1.
the games have great presentation and content on par to the single-player titles, i wouldn't be surprised if the budget was quite high too.

using a mainline number certainly would be convenient given the work, and make them more on the spotlight (FFXI is the most profitable title of the series btw).

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
IIRC they aren't allowed to use the Parasite Eve brand anymore, right? That's why the last one was called just The 3rd Birthday. I really loved the first one and its setting.
I actually have no idea. Always thought it was weird how they ditched the "Parasite Eve", though, so that would make a lot of sense, especially considering that it's an already existing IP that they adapted (a book, it seems).

And yeah, it's a really cool mix of fantasy in an urban, horror-oriented setting. I didn't play it much (rather saw my cousin do so, as I was too much of a pussy with horror games when I was a kid), but I always found it fascinating.

The first two also have Nomura in his prime when it came to artstyle and the designs themselves:

AveryChu

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 22, 2017
Yeah they kinda did, technically the new IP could be a revival of the series but under a different name, although that's likely wishful thinking on my part.

While Tabata is a good director from a financial standpoint, I don't really care for anything his done with the exception of XV (and that I find has several major issues).

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah they kinda did, technically the new IP could be a revival of the series but under a different name, although that's likely wishful thinking on my part.

While Tabata is a good director from a financial standpoint, I don't really care for anything his done with the exception of XV (and that I find has several major issues).
I kinda feel the same, tbh, even if I like Tabata quite a bit. That's why I really want to see his new IP, as it won't be grounded in a series (like T3B, CC, Type-0 or XV) and it won't be a "fix this fucking mess" kind of job; he will be able to create a whole new universe, set of characters and gameplay mechanics (I wouldn't be surprised if this new IP used a tweaked version of the XV combat system, considering he appears as the creator in that patent).

Somebody mentioned this before, but a Naughty Dog approach would be great, provided they find a good parternship: Neil and Bruce are really in tune and strong in their respective main fields and it shows. I guess that was sort of the approach with Nomura having co-directors, in a way.