Hajime Tabata wants to make Final Fantasy XV "more casual, one button action"

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Tabata's also in pursuit of a Final Fantasy that's not as overwhelming as its predecessors, and one that can be enjoyed by a broader audience. "With Final Fantasy 15, I do want to make it more casual," he says. "Of course the depth of the game is going to be there, but I want to make it so players can easily experience the satisfaction of the depth of the game." There's an option to set that car to drive itself, allowing players to sit back and take in the sights - although there is also an option to drive it manually, should they want to engage more fully with the world.

"Another example is in the combat," explains Tabata. "With the hardware specifications of the newer consoles, it's possible to set it up so you have different enemies and different choices of attacks you can enter in, but I want to simplify that. It'll basically be a one-button action, and the AI intuitively outputs an action that kind of satisfies, gives you that instant gratification, and it connects with the simple touch of a button. I myself am not getting any younger. I don't want to be frantically pushing buttons. I also want to utilise the intelligence of the hardware spec, and not have to go through too much hassle or trouble in order to execute moves."
Source: www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-22-meet-hajime-tabata-final-fantasys-latest-saviour?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Shamelessly taken from Kagari's thread on GAF

Tabata's also in pursuit of a Final Fantasy that's not as overwhelming as its predecessors, and one that can be enjoyed by a broader audience. "With Final Fantasy 15, I do want to make it more casual," he says. "Of course the depth of the game is going to be there, but I want to make it so players can easily experience the satisfaction of the depth of the game." There's an option to set that car to drive itself, allowing players to sit back and take in the sights - although there is also an option to drive it manually, should they want to engage more fully with the world.

"Another example is in the combat," explains Tabata. "With the hardware specifications of the newer consoles, it's possible to set it up so you have different enemies and different choices of attacks you can enter in, but I want to simplify that. It'll basically be a one-button action, and the AI intuitively outputs an action that kind of satisfies, gives you that instant gratification, and it connects with the simple touch of a button. I myself am not getting any younger. I don't want to be frantically pushing buttons. I also want to utilise the intelligence of the hardware spec, and not have to go through too much hassle or trouble in order to execute moves."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

I don't even know how to react.

I should be cross with them, but then, it's like trying to fight an incoming flood with your bare fists. I don't think I've seen a rollercoaster of emotions like this in one week quite like this. Palpable, raw excitement eroding away in favour of bewilderment and a cold wash of disappointment.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, fuck you too Tabata.

I'd seriously love to say that I'm done with the game, because this feels like a "fuck you" to people that have been waiting for it for freaking 8 years. Almost a damn decade. But I guess my passion for the game (or what they told us the game was going to be like) can't fade away in just two days.

This was the only thing (apart from some Eidos games and the occasional smaller scale games) that kept me from openly disliking S-E, after all the shit they've pulled over time. I haven't had faith in the mainline series since XII (and I kinda disliked X) and I'm totally sure it will never reach past levels of quality, even when XV was announced.

But this game was special in that everything about it (or almost everything) I loved, and the combat system implied and SHOWN (whatever people say) in trailers was one of those things. Now they prefer to cater to casual players (he basically says so) instead of passionate fans that have kept them staying afloat for so long, even when they don't deserve it. I disliked when they changed it to mainline, because I feared something like this would happen and because I didn't see it fit to be a mainline, it was its own thing, not something that should adjust to mainline FF basics like they've supposedly done now.

And don't get me started in the character switching thing. That's some big bullshit if true, so big I doubt it's like that in the final game. This Prokanon guy has just said that this is only for the demo, but I don't if he's legit or not, so who knows.

And I wasn't even expecting the best thing ever, just a nice game, with a nice story and a nice gameplay they did show, because no, I don't think Nomura is the most talented guy, not at all, and has plenty of flaws.

So yeah, I'm overreacting a lot, but I'm so butthurt right now :p. I'm sure the game will turn out fine and the battle system will be nice and interesting, and all that, but it isn't the same anymore, he himself said so (and yes, I guess there were more reasons for this change, most likely, but still).

Last edited:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Even if this is innovative and the best thing known to man since forever (which it sure as hell doesn't sound like), Tabata really doesn't know how to explain it. "Casual"? "Not as overwhelming"? "With the single push of a button"? Dude, what the hell. I understand you want to show the game to a broader audience, but don't try to cripple your own base in the process.

EDIT:

"Personally, I'm working on 15 to make it the most emotional Final Fantasy title that I've worked on,"
On the bright side, this looks promising. If he can make something more emotional than both Crisis Core and Type-0's ending, then damn.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2014
Miami
It's incredible how laughably detached Tabata sounds in this 'interview'.

I don't want to be frantically pushing buttons.
Isn't this what makes games...I don't know...FUN?! I just can't wrap my head around the guy who made Type-0 saying something like that. He either thinks Type-0's player-input battle system was bad, or Square wants this game out the door as quickly as possible, & just decided to slap on this 'next-to-no-effort' one-button nonsense. This sounds borderline Dynasty Warriors bad.

Now I'm wondering if melee combat was removed as well & just mapped out to the 'one-button' battle feature.

I keep trying to remain patient with this thing, but the more I read, the more disappointed I get. That demo can't come out sooner.

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
Yikes...I honestly wonder now how Nomura trully felt about those changes. Much of that sounds very much opposite from what Nomura was conveying throuh the years.

It seems that in becoming a mainline FF since Versus days caused a huge shift in direction. SE being too damn worried about the game being too out there for a numbered FF must've brought about some pressure to the team in making it more accessible to general audiences. I remember the tone initially was much darker. Things like blood shed were present, and even shown through gameplay.

Recalling Nomura mentioning how Versus at the time, wouldn't have fit the model for a mainline FF, due to it's play style and darker narrative tone. I guess now that has become so, that particular vision for the game has been altered.

I'm not casting away all my hope after waiting 8 damn years. But each time Tabata speaks on changes, it becomes more apparent, that this won't turn out being the same game I've been anticipating all this time.

In wake of these comments, I just hope from now on SE makes a concentrated effort to show more of XV, and clearly communicate it to gamers.

Simply going dormant with info again would only serve to hurt the game and them.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2014
FL
twitch.tv
I'm ok with this. I think of it like Easy auto mode in the DMC games. yeah sure you can have the complexity if you want the challenge, but there is an easier mode for those that just want to experience the story.
I like options.
Now, I won't be buying a ps4 just for this game. I was, but I'm really holding out for a PC version.