Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna (Project Setsuna), PS4 and PSVita, Early 2016

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
So basically nothing Tokyo RPG Factory is aiming for and what Matsuda wants. They're not using the Final Fantasy brand and following any rules that comes with it. They're not remaking anything. They're not making a sequel or spin-off. They're not making something that targets the mobile market either.

They're trying to make a brand new IP with the ultimate goal of bringing back the memories players had during the SNES era. They're trying to recreate that experience but at the same time do their own thing. It's why they've assembled a team of people who have played and are skilled at SNES RPGs. People who have wanted to be developers thanks to those types of games.
Oh, I understand that part. I simply meant Tokita is always making SNES-era style games for modern hardware. But I do understand completely the difference here is the new IP.

Do you know if this title is digital-only?

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
That's a really long interview... probably the first and last one I'll read before the game comes out...

Sep 26, 2013
Scan

Translation

Kuon: A traveler who visited the town long before Setsuna was chosen as a sacrifice. Is trusted by the people of the town. She’s like an older sister to Setsuna, and feels strongly about going along with the MC on this journey.

Yomi: A swordsman who once accompanied a previous sacrifice to her place of fate, and succeeded in that mission long before Setsuna was ever chosen. He gives advice to the MC from a place of experience. He likes taking care of others, and accompanies Setsuna on her journey.

The combat system is based on Chrono Trigger’s, and is currently being called ATB Ver. 2. Battles occur seamlessly when you get close to enemies on the field. When the red bar at the bottom fills up, you can take your turn. Your location on the field is also important in battle.

The Setsuna System: When the Setsuna Gauge at the bottom fills up in battle, the Setsuna System can be activated by pressing a button in time with the activation of a skill. If you do it properly, your attacks will be super strong versions, with higher damage and lots more craziness going on. For example, you might regain HP with every attack.

Nora_Nightingale

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 7, 2015
Final Fantasy IV 3D remake - was faithful and he was the best person for it.
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - wasn't very good but still counts
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light - brand new old school JRPG for DS
Final Fantasy Legends: Toki no Suishō - Heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger a game he was one of the directors for, even Alex got interested
I want to say FF legends: Toki no Suisho looks like a departure of what FFLegends was suppose to be. which was a throwback to FF games. FFDimensions nailed it perfectly. FFLegends:Toki no Suisho actually looks like its trying to do something modern.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
These new characters look really nice, I love the colors. I'm generally fond of this game's art direction.

And the cover art is gorgeous. I pray the western release gets the same one (or at least EU).

ryogoku

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jan 25, 2016
Do you have a source for that? I cannot find any information pertaining to that OST on Square Enix Music's site, the only two CDs due to be released on that date are the second FF brass arrangement album and a SaGa album.
As I am a newly registered member, I cannot yet post links. But I will try here.

EDIT: It seems that Sony has since taken down the page. Aibo (@aibo_ac7) tweeted about it, and I've seen the date myself before the page was edited. It should be safe to say that this information was leaked and that SE will announce details at a later time.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
Dengeki PlayStation's review of Setsuna is in: 75/90/75/85. Rough translations, please wait for the official release of the magazine tomorrow. The game will be out in Japan on February 18.
  • Substituting (switching out?) characters during battle not possible
  • Treasure chests that can’t be opened from the start of the game exist
  • Serious story
  • Battle difficulty on the high side
  • Battles require thought, not monotous
  • Equipping function not available right after purchasing items
  • Selling items not possible?
  • Some errors pop up when selecting the correct options
  • Customization’s fun but replacing items is a hassle
  • Quality and price make the game attractive
Source

Last edited:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Will most likely get this, although I'm not sure when. Seems like a nice game, although I don't trust Famitsu at all, they're nothing but a marketing tool.

Also, I hope this is a success and TGF, in a sequel/new IP, fix whatever flaws this one has and are more ambitious visual wise. I'm obviously not talking about them making a huge triple A game (that'd go against their very own foundation and I doubt S-E would fund that), but I want to see that gorgeous art better realized. As beautiful as this looks (them colours), it's still not enough for them to match it.

If this a SNES era-like JRPG (basically a Chrono Trigger), I hope their next game does the same but with PSX-era. I could really fucking use some beautiful prerrendered backgrounds à la FF VII-IX.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
If this a SNES era-like JRPG (basically a Chrono Trigger), I hope their next game does the same but with PSX-era. I could really fucking use some beautiful prerrendered backgrounds à la FF VII-IX.
Yes, please. Pre rendered backgrounds made with modern technology could be really amazing.