Interesting/Impressive details in FFXV

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
There are a few minor details I've noticed in FFXV that I found particularly neat and/or impressive, so I figured it'd be nice to have a place to discuss them.

Let's start with something that I'm pretty sure most people didn't pay much attention to in the ending -- Noct takes off his gloves on-screen! It's not the sort of thing that'd normally make an impression of course, but taking off clothing is one of those things that's so fiddly in 3D animation that it's usually just avoided altogether. And the funny thing is, there's no real need for it, so it kind of reminds me of some of the stuff I'd heard about Nomura adding Squall's fur collar to challenge the animators, just done to the in-engine animators instead of the off-line CG staff.

The way everyone's expressions were handled in the lead-up to Noct's sacrifice was really impressive, too. The game did more to sell the idea that the guys were fighting back tears in real-time than I've seen from most off-line CG.

On a more lighthearted note -- anyone notice the Cactuars on the "Walk/Don't Walk" signs in Insomnia? Or the joke about parents suing Vyv if he put the picture of Chardanook in his magazine?

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I shared this in the FFXV discussion thread yday but I'll post it here again since it's relevant.

When the train stops near Shiva's "corpse", if you open the map, you'll see her body imprinted into the map itself.

It's a pretty cool little detail.

http://m.imgur.com/HxK5pku?r

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
In ch14, when you're fighting monsters in Insomnia, stop and watch how Ignis fights.

Naturally he doesn't do up close combat anymore and he just throws his spears. If you watch him, on the last throw, he does this sort of pose where he fixes his jacket and does a "come at me bro" kinda stance xD

Boss man even when blind.

Nov 8, 2014
The setting has mirrored real world ecology to an unprecedented degree. within the jrpg genre i never expereinced such a thing. i wrote this on my review of the demo before but now i can go into further examples with the actual game

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I shared this in the FFXV discussion thread yday but I'll post it here again since it's relevant.

When the train stops near Shiva's "corpse", if you open the map, you'll see her body imprinted into the map itself.

It's a pretty cool little detail.

http://m.imgur.com/HxK5pku?r
It's definitely impressive how much work they put into making maps for areas you really have no need to use maps for. XD; Even just knowing that maps exist for the boat and train segments surprised me.

In ch14, when you're fighting monsters in Insomnia, stop and watch how Ignis fights.

Naturally he doesn't do up close combat anymore and he just throws his spears. If you watch him, on the last throw, he does this sort of pose where he fixes his jacket and does a "come at me bro" kinda stance xD

Boss man even when blind.
Gonna have to pay attention to this now that I'm over-leveled enough for it not to get me killed. XD I definitely didn't expect to see his entire combat style changed, in any case!

The setting has mirrored real world ecology to an unprecedented degree. within the jrpg genre i never expereinced such a thing. i wrote this on my review of the demo before but now i can go into further examples with the actual game
I loved this -- every single beast-type enemy looked like it had a reason to be where it was, and some of the less aggressive-looking ones would leave you alone if you didn't provoke them.

A few other things I noticed:

Many of the key moments in Noct's character arc (both in the game and in Brotherhood) reflect one or more of the Five Stages of Grief -- Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance -- but it's not exactly a linear progression for him.

Noct's outfit changes at the end of the game reflect the different roles he plays -- he arrives to his fight with Ardyn in his full kingly attire, but he walks to his death in a plain black suit (which is rather evocative of funeral attire).

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Here's an interesting little detail that not many people know that (or at least I think so)

I'm sure everyone here knows who Dino and Coctura are yes?

Well, it so turns out that when Noctis comes back from his 10 years of sleep, Dino and Coctura would have already turned into Daemons by that point. It's entirely possible that Noctis kills them when he's taking out the Daemons at Galdin Quay...

Here's picture proof: http://imgur.com/a/fhwlB

That's just sad tbh. I didn't expect this outcome at all for the both of them.

Dino came off as sly and sneaky, but if you finished his missions, it turns out that he was actually a good guy who wanted to build something to protect people from the Daemon invasion with the materials that Noctis and co. brought back to him when he sent you on those fetch quests.

Coctura was just sweet. She did help us discover Noctis' beloved cake that Ignis tried to replicate for him all those years ago.

If you played the Adamantoise mission, you'd probably have noticed that Dino and Coctura had a thing going on between them.

A very sad conclusion for the both of them ='(

Edit: Interestingly enough, I'm genuinely bummed by this. Thing is, I feel more sad over these two than Jared's death. When Square add in scenes that let me get to know Jared more, I'm sure that will change.

Nov 8, 2014
I noticed teasures suit where they are sorted at. Near the old Inosmina Gates is a construction site where you can find a workers ID. A spiderweb is found in the shanty ruined corners of the gate. Iron Shavings in the scrap metal area. they kinda make sense. even in the farmhosue the teasure is something the abanaded people would have used

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Here's an interesting little detail that not many people know that (or at least I think so)

I'm sure everyone here knows who Dino and Coctura are yes?

Well, it so turns out that when Noctis comes back from his 10 years of sleep, Dino and Coctura would have already turned into Daemons by that point. It's entirely possible that Noctis kills them when he's taking out the Daemons at Galdin Quay...

Here's picture proof: http://imgur.com/a/fhwlB

That's just sad tbh. I didn't expect this outcome at all for the both of them.

Dino came off as sly and sneaky, but if you finished his missions, it turns out that he was actually a good guy who wanted to build something to protect people from the Daemon invasion with the materials that Noctis and co. brought back to him when he sent you on those fetch quests.

Coctura was just sweet. She did help us discover Noctis' beloved cake that Ignis tried to replicate for him all those years ago.

If you played the Adamantoise mission, you'd probably have noticed that Dino and Coctura had a thing going on between them.

A very sad conclusion for the both of them ='(

Edit: Interestingly enough, I'm genuinely bummed by this. Thing is, I feel more sad over these two than Jared's death. When Square add in scenes that let me get to know Jared more, I'm sure that will change.
I noticed clothes on the ground in Galdin Quay when I played through that section, but I didn't realize that there were clothes representing specific characters who we knew. =( That's... quite an effective bit of environmental storytelling once you see it, though. o_0

I think the difference between them and Jared is that you've got entire quest lines with them, and while they don't really say that much about themselves, you just kind of get used to them being there. It's like the fictional equivalent of finding out that the friendly waiter who always served your table was hit by a drunk driver or something.

If they were some of the daemons Noct killed, though, I... kind of think that might have been a good thing? Daemons tend to feel a lot more like Heartless than zombies to me, even if there's no built-in revival mechanism after you kill them. I was kind of under the impression that slaying someone's daemon form (which would inevitably happen once the Light was restored regardless of whether you fought them) was the only way for them to find peace.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I was kind of under the impression that slaying someone's daemon form (which would inevitably happen once the Light was restored regardless of whether you fought them) was the only way for them to find peace.
Yeah, it is. If you speak to Talcott before you head off to Insomnia for the final battle he even said that killing them is the only mercy they could offer.

It's so sad though, I mean I just found it out completely out of nowhere. It makes me wonder what happened to Dave, Sania, Vyv, the fishing dude whose name I forgot, and all the other characters.

Dino... nooo D=

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Yeah, it is. If you speak to Talcott before you head off to Insomnia for the final battle he even said that killing them is the only mercy they could offer.
Oh right, the game did say that. I guess I didn't make it up. xD;

It's so sad though, I mean I just found it out completely out of nowhere. It makes me wonder what happened to Dave, Sania, Vyv, the fishing dude whose name I forgot, and all the other characters.

Dino... nooo D=
Dave seemed to have been heading up the response to the daemons as of Chapter 13, so I bet he'd have either headed a group of Hunters or made some kind of heroic sacrifice. Vyv lived in Lestallum, so he should have been okay. Sania traveled enough that I could see her getting to safety and being responsible for the reports on the nature of the daemons we found at Hammerhead. The fishing guy probably wasn't so lucky, though.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
when you fight the Naga in the cave does this imply its Prompto's mother? it keeps on saying my baby my baby
I assumed that it was just some random mother who got turned into a daemon and wanted her baby back, but it's definitely possible to interpret it as being Prompto's mother since he's the one she takes and he ends up being from Niflheim (where the daemon experiments were being performed).

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Yeah I personally swivel the camera around when able to and observe it.

He starts to slowly disintegrate and his eyes go red but it does have a limit where he stops disintegrating once he gets to a certain point.

Very nice touch. Those gifs in that link are nice too, never seen them before.
...could you imagine if the Ring had been balanced so it could defeat enemies faster, but if you used it too much in a short period of time Noct would die? D=

On a different note, while trying to find a video that would show me the red eyes, I noticed that the degradation effects didn't appear in the video where they first revealed the Ring's magic. Late implementation, or intentional misleading as to the nature of the Ring? XD;

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
...could you imagine if the Ring had been balanced so it could defeat enemies faster, but if you used it too much in a short period of time Noct would die? D=

On a different note, while trying to find a video that would show me the red eyes, I noticed that the degradation effects didn't appear in the video where they first revealed the Ring's magic. Late implementation, or intentional misleading as to the nature of the Ring? XD;
I tried using the Ring on the Bandersnatch at a distance whilst up on a rock so he couldn't attack me. You can use it indefinitely until Noctis' MP is all used up with no consequence other than a drained MP bar.

I think it was intentionally misleading. Wouldn't want people knowing that Noctis' turns to ash and all since people would be able to put one and two together after watching the ending for Kingsglaive.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I tried using the Ring on the Bandersnatch at a distance whilst up on a rock so he couldn't attack me. You can use it indefinitely until Noctis' MP is all used up with no consequence other than a drained MP bar.
I'm not saying that was actually the case, just considering an interesting hypothetical.

I think it was intentionally misleading. Wouldn't want people knowing that Noctis' turns to ash and all since people would be able to put one and two together after watching the ending for Kingsglaive.
True. xD; Just one more example of the dev team playing the "Noct dies" card particularly close to their chest.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I'm not saying that was actually the case, just considering an interesting hypothetical.
Of course, I think the tone of my response came off as more aggressive than intended. It was meant to be me just sharing an interesting occurrence in the game. That was meant to be said in a normal tone btw excuse the miscommunication error ><

True. xD; Just one more example of the dev team playing the "Noct dies" card particularly close to their chest.
People were already screaming about Luna's death, with wild speculation about Noctis' demise. Can't say I blame them for being sneaky in this instance lol.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Of course, I think the tone of my response came off as more aggressive than intended. It was meant to be me just sharing an interesting occurrence in the game. That was meant to be said in a normal tone btw excuse the miscommunication error ><
I wasn't assuming any aggression on your part. I just thought I needed to clarify my own position. ^^; Tone is hard on the internet. XD;

People were already screaming about Luna's death, with wild speculation about Noctis' demise. Can't say I blame them for being sneaky in this instance lol.
True!