Just got a mother-effin Oculus. Ask away.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
It's like a lucid dream, but the motion sickness is real. I spent all day stress testing this thing and I have experienced things I can't even describe.

I have been waiting my whole life for this and it absolutely did not disappoint. Still early tech. It's got a long way to go, but this is what your childhood has always wanted.

I don't even know where to start. Anyone has any questions, ask here. Any experiences to share yourself, here's a good place for that, too.

Recommend every human experience VR at some point- it is unlike anytging youve ever seen- but recommend only enthusiasts purchase. I'm literally going to need motion sickness meds to play some of these games.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
  1. What demos did it come with?
  2. Is there any inconvinient in using it in small rooms?
  3. Why not waiting for comparison between Oculus and Playstation VR (The later goes on sale in about 4 days from now on)?

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
1) Lucky's Tale, which is like a 3d Mario game, and Oculus Dreamscape, which is like if Pixar made a handful of little 60 second demos. Both were great. The latter was very short, but is a great first impression. Lucky's Tale is absolutely wonderful. Definitely the best thing I've played on it so far.

2) It's temporarily set up in a tiny, cluttered room with literally no room to walk, so it did just fine. It's pretty forgiving as to where you can sit (or stand). Setup DID require me to buy an adapter because you need an hdmi port for the headset and every screen in my house also uses HDMI and I only had 1 port on my pc and you DO need a monitor. We're setting up a proper room for it nect weekend, but had no trouble setting it up where there was no room.

3) It came down to PC or PS4. I chose PC first because I figured it would leave me with more to play with. I might even dabble in a little experimental development of my own. I was also able to get this off of Craigslist barely used for $400, so I jumped on the opportunity.

I have also tried the PSVR. The experience is very similar. The biggest difference I noticed was that the PSVR had room for my glasses and the Oculus actually makes that very difficult. They're very similar, though. Made for mostly sit-down, 180° experience with similar tech. That choice can almost entirely come down to the platdorm you want to play it on. Don't have the PC power, get the PSVR. Have the PC and want to experiment, get the Rift. Want it simple and cheap, get the PSVR. Git all the money and room in the world, get the best, which sounds like is the Vive.

I had the pc, wanted to tinker, didn't have the room and didn't want to blow all if my money. Craigslist Oculus was the best for me.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Hmm.. Maybe I was late to the party, but I figured there'd be more people who were curious about VR that might have questions. Oh well, I'll still be around if anyone adds any later.

Chocobocoholic

ShinRa SOLDIER
Mar 29, 2016
I haven't had the chance to try out any VR headsets yet, but I'm getting a PSVR next month and I'm really looking forward to giving it a go! I don't have a PC so Oculus and Vive are out of the equation. PSVR seems to be getting a lot of great reviews, and there's quite a lot of games coming out as well. I'm trying to imagine the sense of scale and presence that some of these games will offer but I guess I'll just have to wait and see for myself!

What games are you playing on the Oculus at the moment?

Last edited:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
From the brief bit I've seen, the general experience for this and the PSVR is pretty close, so a lot of this should apply.

You asked the right question, but not in the actual question you asked. I know the EXACT nagging curiosity that's in your mind about the depth and presence.

And I have the absolute best metaphor, but can pretty much only be understood by a native New Englander. I'll do my best.

It's like the first time walking into Fenway Park, and anyone who's ever been there will tell you the same story. You're first reaction will be that it's smaller than you thought it would be, but somehow also bigger.

That's the best way I can describe it. I think it'll make more sense after you try it out.

But, it is very impressive. Far and away beyond anything you've ever seen before. Both in depth and immersion. Immersion-wise, it's completely unique. There's this one short demo with a tiny little city with little planes flying around, and you don't just see it from your seat, you can get up, move around all over it and see different angles and look down tunnels and whatnot. In Lucky's Tale, you're hopping around like a 3-D Mario game, but you're able to lean over the ledge and peer down the waterfall.

For depth, it's harder to describe. It's so very much deeper than anything you've ever seen. I feel like it's slightly smaller scale than it seems. There's another demo where you're perched on skyscraper in a city like Batman or something. And you can look down, and it absolutely looks far enough down that you wouldn't want to fall, but probably not quite 20 actual stories. There does appear to be a practical limit made up for by illusion, but it's really deep.

The best experience I've seen appears to be when things look between 3 inches and 30 feet away.

To answer your actual question, I haven't used it since that first day. I am actually wondering if the motion sickness wasn't just a coincidence or a trigger for a real sickness because I still don't feel right, even after trying some Dramamine. I wanted to make sure I was perfectly healthy before I try it again. Next time I do, though, I'll be doing Lucky's Tale or Wind Waker. One of those two will be the first game I beat in VR.

Chocobocoholic

ShinRa SOLDIER
Mar 29, 2016
Smaller but bigger, I think I understand where you're coming from! Like I'm sat in my car now and looking around wondering if it will be a similar sort of view.

Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:

Chocobocoholic

ShinRa SOLDIER
Mar 29, 2016
So, have you got around to putting much more time in to gaming on the Oculus? Was the sickness you felt due to that in the end? Or was it something else?

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
So, have you got around to putting much more time in to gaming on the Oculus? Was the sickness you felt due to that in the end? Or was it something else?
Sorry, totally didn't see this until now!

Great news, I am completely over the sickness and I can do pretty much anything with it. There are a few movements I can make that will make me a little dizzy, particularly in fast-moving games and it's usually from some kind of irregular movement, like strafing left or right while moving forward kind of thing.

I haven't been using it lately though. We set up a new room for all my gaming stuff so there would be more room to work with, but since moving down there, instead of the Dreamatorium, it's basically a dedicated Minecraft room :p

I'll get back to it soon, though.